Thread: The New "Home Improvement" Thread

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Youíre welcome
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Its a Rheem 3 ton unit, seer16.

Iím not familiar with Rheemís ac portion, their heating is good so Iíd imagine that their ac should be as well. I just recently redid my 2nd floor. Replaced all the air duct, new handler and new Lennox unit. I think I may need to replace the 1st floor unit soon, making strange sounds. Itís the original that came with the house and is pretty old.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    You folks with 2 units have a lot of cheddar.

I have a split ranch, only the upstairs was done. We don't use the downstairs den much so I'll worry about that at a later time. As it is, enough cool air finds its way down there to make it comfortable enough when we are down there.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I was going to go CAC and convert to gas heat from oil when we moved in. But I shot my load on new siding and a new roof (because we went solar). I honestly like the idea of being able to control AC by room instead of paying to cool a whole zone. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I was going to go CAC and convert to gas heat from oil when we moved in. But I shot my load on new siding and a new roof (because we went solar). I honestly like the idea of being able to control AC by room instead of paying to cool a whole zone. Thoughts?
    That's one of the things I liked about the ductless system as well. You are able to somewhat control the rooms individually though. Mine is setup so the nursery is a few degrees warmer than the rest of the bedrooms. We have the Nest tstat upstairs and downstairs and we also have Nest temperature sensors in the 3 upstairs bedrooms. The nursery is always 2-3* warmer than the rest. I don't think its the temperature that's actually controlled as much as its the amount of air being sent through that duct that is controlled.

This actually all started because we are planning to make the conversion from oil to gas this year as well. I said fuck it I am not going another summer in this house with just two window units "cooling" the house. We decided to do the CAC as well. We're still working on getting either a home equity lone or line of credit. Still haven't decided which way we're gonna go with it. For now, we put the CAC on our Southwest card to get the points and will then pay it off once the loan clears. We will then start the process for the gas conversion.

We did solar two years ago I think. The way our billing is set up is that it basically pays for itself. The tax breaks and rebates paid for just about half of the system. The rest we pay as part of our electric bill. Prior to solar our bill was something like $150-160 per month. Its now down to around $75. Only $10-20 of that is actually power, if that, the rest is the payment for the system. Once that is paid off in another 6-7 years our bill will drop drastically. Although I am not sure how much the CAC system will alter it. I am sure its more efficient than the two window units we had running all day prior. Next I would like to either get a roof peak vent installed or an exhaust fan to pull the hot air out of the attic.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesnít do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstaornwindows, we still canít get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesn’t do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstairs windows, we still can’t get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.
    Noooooooooooooo that's the worst thing you can do. All that does is pull more hot air in from outside. Does your attic have good ventilation?

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Noooooooooooooo that's the worst thing you can do. All that does is pull more hot air in from outside. Does your attic have good ventilation?
    Even at night?

Attic is fine

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Even at night?

Attic is fine
    It is hotter at night because ground is giving all the heat back.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    We have a new Trane, I was proud of it, it was life changing. Now, this heatwave is kicking its ass. It's struggling big time.

We have a back-split raised bungalow, not really even a second floor to cool. My wife is convinced it's broken. You pay out your nose for this shit then at crunch time it's a glorified ceiling fan. Brutal.

We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesnít do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstaornwindows, we still canít get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.
    Believe it or not, your first floor might be the issue.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It is hotter at night because ground is giving all the heat back.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Believe it or not, your first floor might be the issue.
    Yeah how?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Insulate that attic. Insulation works both ways.

I'd definitely duct down to the first floor too. Heat rises. Id think you're pretty much cooling more than you have to.

Venting is often an issue for inefficient CAC. Make sure your return vent is up high if you are attached to a forced air system If not, it's going to be an issue) Also make sure you have the heat out vent blocked. Makes a huge difference.

Yeah how?
    Not circulating properly, possibly undersized duct work and heat is rising rather than circulating in the system. Also, do you have insulation in the attic?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12