Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Congrats, dude

And on the previous post, does anything less than 20% down necessitate mortgage insurance there, or, what's that number look like?
    Yes, as far as I know, less than 20% down typically means you'll be paying PMI. But it varies based on what you do put down.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Thanks guys. Things went smooth. Moving ahead in the days/weeks to come.

As for PMI, under 20% down and you pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    I hate the Town of Brookhaven. We had an oil to natural gas conversion done back in January/February. Just had final inspection, the Navien boiler setup passed perfectly fine. However, they won't close out the permit unless I have an extension on my house, which was built before I was born, "legalized". They don't have any record of it in their system. I am the 4th owner of this house. How the fuck does it not get caught until now? There is no way I am going to get fleeced for something that was added to the house by the original owner before I was even born. The 3rd owner bought the house specifically to renovate and flip it. He lives across the street from me. His father also lives in another house across the street from me. They both concur that it was done sometime back in the mid-late 70s. I was born in 1983. WHAT THE FUCK!!??! This fucking town sucks.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Keep fighting it
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I hate the Town of Brookhaven. We had an oil to natural gas conversion done back in January/February. Just had final inspection, the Navien boiler setup passed perfectly fine. However, they won't close out the permit unless I have an extension on my house, which was built before I was born, "legalized". They don't have any record of it in their system. I am the 4th owner of this house. How the fuck does it not get caught until now? There is no way I am going to get fleeced for something that was added to the house by the original owner before I was even born. The 3rd owner bought the house specifically to renovate and flip it. He lives across the street from me. His father also lives in another house across the street from me. They both concur that it was done sometime back in the mid-late 70s. I was born in 1983. WHAT THE FUCK!!??! This fucking town sucks.
    You can try and fight it but in NJ the story is that you should have done due diligence before buying. The certificate of occupancy inspection points out everything not to code.

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

Fucking assholes. Had to get the certificate done of my house selling in a few weeks. I had to install a railing 5 steps up into an attic that hadn’t had a railing in 60+ years! Give me a break. Atleast that only cost a few bucks. Just take your $50 “inspection” check and get out of my house.

I also had to pay $300 for a sewer lateral inspection (for the certificate) that only benefits the next owner (peace of mind). No one did that for me. Lol.

Last edited by Parsley; 06-02-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Fucking assholes. Had to get the certificate done of my house selling in a few weeks. I had to install a railing 5 steps up into an attic that hadn’t had a railing in 60+ years! Give me a break. Atleast that only cost a few bucks. Just take your $50 “inspection” check and get out of my house.

I also had to pay $300 for a sewer lateral inspection (for the certificate) that only benefits the next owner (peace of mind). No one did that for me. Lol.

After just buying my first house, you have to understand that everyone is trying to get the most for their money and don't want to step into a lemon. Inspectors word is gold to a new buyer. If they say the house NEEDS something, the buyer is sure as fuck going to make sure they don't have to pay for it.

After buying my house, I realized the inspector just puts on a show to collect his $. They are kinda javk of all trades, but don't see everything they should and shrug off buyers legit questions.

My inspector caught a few things but missed a bunch, despite me asking him about them (boiler being too small to keep up with hot water, water filtration system and water pressure tank....). He did find major problems with the roof though.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    After just buying my first house, you have to understand that everyone is trying to get the most for their money and don't want to step into a lemon. Inspectors word is gold to a new buyer. If they say the house NEEDS something, the buyer is sure as fuck going to make sure they don't have to pay for it.

After buying my house, I realized the inspector just puts on a show to collect his $. They are kinda javk of all trades, but don't see everything they should and shrug off buyers legit questions.

My inspector caught a few things but missed a bunch, despite me asking him about them (boiler being too small to keep up with hot water, water filtration system and water pressure tank....). He did find major problems with the roof though.
    My home inspector double majored in engineering and applied sciences at West Point... Definitely not a jack of all trades haha.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Then why is he a home inspector?

I agree with Dude. You're better off asking local contractors, and your realtor shouldn't be entirely blind to this stuff but apparently they are. Our realtor browbeat our last buyer's inspector in to submission. A lot of inspectotlrs are just lazy dudes that gave up on going work or couldn't hack their trade.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I feel like our last home inspector sucked, the first guy I had was so thorough with everything, spent an entire day there. Now, House is twice as large and the guy was out in about an hour. We’ve already discovered a few things from repairmen “how did this pass inspection during closing??”
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Then why is he a home inspector?

I agree with Dude. You're better off asking local contractors, and your realtor shouldn't be entirely blind to this stuff but apparently they are. Our realtor browbeat our last buyer's inspector in to submission. A lot of inspectotlrs are just lazy dudes that gave up on going work or couldn't hack their trade.
    Because it's easy and good money?

I don't know how they do shit in Canada, but there's no way my realtor would have pointed out half the shit the home inspector did.

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

Home inspector I get. I paid out of pocket for one on my new build even though the builder said they had a “3rd party” inspector check the house (yeah right).

The township inspections are bogus. They want quick money or to bust your balls over petty permits and regulations (Atleast around here)

My home inspector was great. He found several things their “3rd party” inspector didn’t see

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My home inspector double majored in engineering and applied sciences at West Point... Definitely not a jack of all trades haha.

And probably can’t hang a sheetrock board.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    That's every home inspector I know. Fucking knobs.

When I talk to framers, trim guys, tile guys etc around town you find out their almost invariably washouts.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And probably can’t hang a sheetrock board.
    That's every home inspector I know. Fucking knobs.

When I talk to framers, trim guys, tile guys etc around town you find out their almost invariably washouts.
    Who cares? That's not his job.

I love the angle that they're "failed laborers" though lol.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Who cares? That's not his job.

I love the angle that they're "failed laborers" though lol.
    So he can’t do shit, but tells you what it should look like. That’s like LTF drawing up a power play.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

HNIC BSBH Legend
    So he can’t do shit, but tells you what it should look like. That’s like LTF drawing up a power play.
    That's right. They have other people like this. They are called architects and engineers...?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    If he’s not putting Zibenajad on the right point (over the left side wall), I might take him
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678