• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Under the Radar Signings This Summer?

DeMelo interests me. Fitz wrote a bit on him recently. Hang on, I'll link it.

Here it is:

DeMelo might be my favorite player on this list. He’s another player who doesn’t put up huge counting stats, but given the data and the (admittedly) little I saw him play—I watched between 5–10 Sharks games last year—I think he’s a solid player who can contribute in certain areas. Here’s a look at his All-Three-Zone data:

demelo.png?raw=1

DeMelo is shit at exits, but he’s dynamite at shot contributions and entries, and has solid entry defense numbers. Kevin Shattenkirk and Neal Pionk are entrenched as the Rangers top-two right-handed defensemen, but it gets murky after them. There’s Tony DeAngelo, who is running out of chances to prove himself as an NHL player. There’s also former Alain Vigneault top-pairing defenseman Steven Kampfer. While he’s probably a great fella, Kampfer is simply not an NHL defenseman, and is best suited to be a depth piece or an AHL-filler moving forward. The Sharks decided not to give DeMelo a qualifying offer, meaning he’ll be an unrestricted free agent. According to Cane’s model, DeMelo should command a two-year contract with a $1.2 AAV. Personally, I think DeMelo can be an absolute boon for the Rangers, especially if they decide to cut bait with DeAngelo.

https://gothamsn.com/seven-players-the-rangers-can-sign-to-the-benoit-pouliot-memorial-contract-7d7c824e9490

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived