• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Target Ryan Reaves in Free Agency

Phil

The Rangers? roster tilts heavily toward youth and finesse-oriented skaters. But head coach David Quinn?s team will require at least some measure of size and veteran toughness on the ice and experience in the room in order to navigate the season successfully.

To that end, The Post has learned that the Blueshirts are keenly interested in 31-year-old Vegas winger Ryan Reaves, who will become a free agent when the market opens at noon Sunday.

The time of brawlers is done forever in the NHL and no one seriously believes a single player can act as an immutable deterrent on the ice. But credible strength is necessary and the amount of comfort Reaves ? or a player with the same characteristics ? is likely to be able to provide the young group assembled by management is important.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/28/rangers-eyeing-veteran-golden-knights-bruiser-in-free-agency/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Some of you guys are acting like they're taking up a ton of roster spots. Rangers have made it clear they want the young guys to have the best chance at making the team as possible. They're looking for vets/character guys to establish a strong leadership core. I wasn't convinced until the draft, but it seems the Rangers are in fact sticking to a build. Embrace the suck, people.

Yes, but we have money to spend and there are guys out there that can fill this role and not kill possession numbers.

He's a solid shot supressing defensive forward. Given how little he is likely to play, and how small his role should be, I fail to see how you are trying to blame him, of all people, for poor possession metrics.

He's a solid shot supressing defensive forward. Given how little he is likely to play, and how small his role should be, I fail to see how you are trying to blame him, of all people, for poor possession metrics.

Little ice time? Small role? Wow, sounds like a perfect opportunity for a prospect on a rebuilding squad.

Little ice time? Small role? Wow, sounds like a perfect opportunity for a prospect on a rebuilding squad.

Yeah, because icing a team predominantly full of teenagers and rookies always goes great.

220px-Logo_Edmonton_Oilers.svg.png

Not loving this fella's stats. To me, that would be a step backward to a different era.

If we're gonna go character player gimme Jay Beagle. But really I want a Tom Wilson-type unicorn a year or two from now -- even though we can't touch him.

My main concern, though, is if we're going to settle for muscle/character with absolute minimal scoring it means some talented kid in the system is not going to get a look at the NHL.

If we were playoff bound, I could see it, but we're not.

That said, I am sick of folks taking runs at Hank and our players unchallenged, undeterred and unpunished. So if there's a player who can deliver Tanner Glass or better still Jody Shelley-level protection for the kids ... so yeah

... Did I just contradict myself? .. OK. maybe I did.

So my -- some time now/some time in the future question is, who can we get who can skate, pass, and ride shotgun for Buch, Zibs, and Kravstov when he finally gets here.

Vegas got pounded back to reality by Tom Wilson and a few others.

A player like Wilson has a place in today's NHL, we should also be drafting with that kind of unicorn in mind, too, just saying.

Can’t hurt the kids confidence having a player like reeves in the lineup. Everybody poo poos the role but every teammate of guys like him swear by the role. Signing him does nothing to deter from development of anybody. It only makes this team which was captained by a giant vagina less soft. I’m all for it.

Reaves or Leo both suck. Regardless of who you prefer they both are black holes offensively and slow as shit. Leo hasn't been physical since Ovi destroyed him with a concussion. He is a total shell and can only PK at this point in his career. He can't even skate to defend anymore. He could not keep up with his line and was terrible with good linemates and too much ice time.

Take a look at the Leaf boards and fans. They are actually celebrating that Babcock won't be able to play his Tanner Glass anymore. They love Uncle Leo the person and what he did when he had some game, but to a man are ecstatic he is gone. All year the fans wanted him scratched and he was the target of nightly complaints. He was even more awful in the playoffs and finally was scratched for Marlies.

How either of these guys will improve the play of Lias and whoever is a mystery to me. Maybe the kids get run less with Reaves, but he will hurt his line in other places.

Neither should get more than 1 year or GTFO. Either should be a 13th Man. Reaves gets played only when another goon is in the lineup. Sure, when Wilson takes a cheap run at Chytil, I'll enjoy Reaves smashing his brain through the glass, leaving broken shards through his cheeks, pints of blood spilling everywhere and #43 in the fetal position. That is about what he is good for, revenge.

If he can even catch him.

Watched every Vegas playoff game. I do admit Reaves put a game or two together where he helped his linemates forecheck effectively. Even scored twice in that playoff game, by getting in front at the right time. Then just like Glass he could not sustain that energy for more than a couple of games and didn't have the speed to be effective. By the Cap series he was an outright liabilty.

Do we really want ineffective slow liabilities skating with a sorta slow Lias and some young winger we are trying to groom/evaluate?

Roussel seems like a better option, but probably wants more years. A guy like Josh Manson would be the ticket. Not only can he defend, hit, skate, exit the zone, shoot and join the O, but if your stupid enough to challenge him by dropping you gloves, he will Barry Beck you. Or Chara you, for those younger fans.

Archived