• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Among Teams Expressing Interest in James van Riemsdyk

Phil

He's a good player who has wanted to sign with the Rangers for a long time. I bet he even takes a Shattenkirk-like discount (in term). But, like Shattenkirk, the issue is timing. These aren't the types of players you bring in in year one of a rebuild, the season before you begin it.

I know he'd take less money to sign with us, but he is going to want term. Our rebuild will likely be pretty quick, but I still don't know if this is a good move. I mean I guess we have the cap space. If our D comes around quickly then we'll be contending in no time. Hajek will have to be a stud quickly though if that's the case.

The Rangers are clearly not doing a protypical rip it down "rebuild". I am not sure why people are confused to hear them linked to such names that won't cost them any assets to get. They have an absorbitant amount of cap space, and most of these younger players they have drafted or traded for are a couple years away.

If anyone thought the Rangers were going to field a team of kids and shoot for the top overall pick next year, then they havent been listening.

Heard his agent has spoken to more than 11 teams on radio yesterday. Think his agent is wisely just speaking to everyone. The Rangers and the agent may have talked just as a professional courtesy, to gauge the market, talk about other players the agent represents, etc. It doesn't hurt JVR's negotiating position for folks to hear about all the interest.

Don't see the Rangers pursuing him seriously. Don't get confused TwoMinutes, unless they sign him.

I wouldn’t mind him. We don’t have a ton of offensive studs in the system, so any offense this team will have will be through free agency. Put him with Chytil or Andersson and get them going as well. It also makes it easier to move Hayes and not miss the numbers he would ring to the team, and gives us Zib,Chytil and Andersson down the middle.

The Rangers are clearly not doing a protypical rip it down "rebuild". I am not sure why people are confused to hear them linked to such names that won't cost them any assets to get. They have an absorbitant amount of cap space, and most of these younger players they have drafted or traded for are a couple years away.

If anyone thought the Rangers were going to field a team of kids and shoot for the top overall pick next year, then they havent been listening.

Come on though. You really think we are forking over the kind of term JVR will get, for an older net front guy who isn't known to be a good skater or defender? I will rail hard on mgmt with you, if they do this.

Not suggesting this, just suggesting this: :confused:

Why wouldn't Rangers meet with a few FAs, especially JVR and drive up the interest and price for Toronto, among others?

This is all a head fake. There are a dozen reasons to talk to the agent and still not be straying from the plan. Maybe we are offering a gigantic 1-2 year deal. Whatever, they will not compromise the rebuild to sign JVR to a long term deal.

I'd be perfectly fine giving him big money but telling him ahead of time that he's going to be moved at the deadline and then we'd sign him for something more reasonable next year.

Having said that, no way he's wearing a Rangers sweater next year.

I'd be perfectly fine giving him big money but telling him ahead of time that he's going to be moved at the deadline and then we'd sign him for something more reasonable next year.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this is prohibited as cap circumventing.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So what about this? His brother is a very good right-handed defenseman who is an RFA for Carolina, who needs to move a righty Dman after acquiring Hamilton. We are involved with trade rumors with the Canes already. Both brothers are from the area and grew up Rangers fans. Both went to New Hampshire, but never played together. I assume they would like to play together. Maybe something could be going on there?

They certainly don't have to move him, but they have four other highly paid young defenseman with long term contracts in Faulk, Hamilton, Pesce, and Slavin, three of which are also right handed. They also have two high first round pick LD knocking on the door in Hadyn Fluery and Jake Bean and I think they've been linked to some Dmen in free agency. It would make sense to move the RFA in TVR unless they are actually going to deal Faulk.

Love JVR, but this would be more of the move to make when going for it. Assuming he's still 29 when you're going for it.

Just don't see it right now.

Play the kids. Both draft and FA's could be stronger next year, build it and build it right.

I know I'm dreaming but watch the Matthews situation in Toronto. Things would get really interesting if he decides to play out his last RFA year. Is the RFA thing still like the Sakic situation?

Not suggesting this, just suggesting this: :confused:

Why wouldn't Rangers meet with a few FAs, especially JVR and drive up the interest and price for Toronto, among others?

This is all a head fake. There are a dozen reasons to talk to the agent and still not be straying from the plan. Maybe we are offering a gigantic 1-2 year deal. Whatever, they will not compromise the rebuild to sign JVR to a long term deal.

Or maybe they are hoping the NHL starts to be a bit more like MLB, and teams stop paying free agents and go with youth, leaving some pretty decent free agents without jobs.

The Rangers will talk to anyone who will listen. I buy into Gorton looking for a vet or two to guide this young roster.

A blogger idiot on Twitter suggests these moves and now people are on board for this shit. What a fuckin joke.

Archived