• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Rangers Can Find Quality Character This Summer

Phil

Yet despite preemptively folding on this summer?s big game, the Blueshirts are still expected to make a pitch for any number of ?character players? who Jeff Gorton will identify and target. These would-be Rangers will be tasked with mentoring and bringing along an important collection of talented youngsters who should, in time, compose a new core on Broadway.

While ?character? has become something of a pejorative term?often applied to mask the faults of less talented players by championing their intangible values?it?s a positive element to roster building. Every Stanley Cup-winning roster has its own collection of these types of players and, season after season, rookies and youngsters credit them with aiding their growth in the league.

In Komarov in particular, the Rangers could kill two birds with one stone: acquiring as quality a leader and dressing room presence as there is to be had, and addressing the mandate to improve in team toughness.

The 31-year-old Finnish?Russian product is among the league-leaders in hits?tied for 12th among forwards with 984 in 285 games?over the last five years, but also boasts some decent offensive production. His 48 goals and 115 points rank eighth among Toronto Maple Leafs? skaters in that same span. He?s also maintained an integral role as a penalty killer for the Leafs under Mike Babcock, despite receiving a reduced even strength role, as their roster continued to infuse with more young talent.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/6/28/17508830/how-new-york-rangers-can-find-quality-character-this-summer

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Get Beagle here to teach these pups to be faceoff killers.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beagle is underrated, I think. A champ at every level and a stable bottom six guy with, like you said, great faceoff ability.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beagle is underrated, I think. A champ at every level and a stable bottom six guy with, like you said, great faceoff ability.

Problem is they don't really need another center. But he is multi-positional, so it could be a Moore-like signing. Can play both, and always allows you to have another FO option on the ice for when a guy gets tossed from the dot.

Problem is they don't really need another center. But he is multi-positional, so it could be a Moore-like signing. Can play both, and always allows you to have another FO option on the ice for when a guy gets tossed from the dot.

Isn't Komarov the same deal, center by trade but able to play either wing? I think that's great for the yoot. If Lias, Chytil, and Howden are the core, can't beat having tutors out there next to them.

I don't like Komarov, but as long as it's not more than 2 years....whatever.

Just seems Komarov kind of outlived that role in Toronto. Babcock loved him and now has no problem putting him on the top of the trash heap because his game and speed are rapidly diminishing. He's still tough, but it'd be nice if our vets can still play fast.

One thing to learn from Vegas, that we also saw in the playoffs. You want 4 lines that can threaten to score. Or at least swarm. We need to move away from the old idea we can be lazy and haphazard with our "4th" line and can bury inadequate old vets there. Only reason Komorov isn't a terrible idea is he is still tough, along with character and experience. Concerned he is a liability in other aspects. There seems like better ideas, such as Calvert among others, but maybe he bounces back.

Just seems Komarov kind of outlived that role in Toronto. Babcock loved him and now has no problem putting him on the top of the trash heap because his game and speed are rapidly diminishing. He's still tough, but it'd be nice if our vets can still play fast.

One thing to learn from Vegas, that we also saw in the playoffs. You want 4 lines that can threaten to score. Or at least swarm. We need to move away from the old idea we can be lazy and haphazard with our "4th" line and can bury inadequate old vets there. Only reason Komorov isn't a terrible idea is he is still tough, along with character and experience. Concerned he is a liability in other aspects. There seems like better ideas, such as Calvert among others, but maybe he bounces back.

Personally, for the tough role, Roussel is my guy. But Komarov has the bigger package regarding leadership. So I can understand why the Rangers would opt for him.

My hope is two years, front loaded.

I like Komarov because of the way he plays and his personality, but he definitely regressed a lot as a player last season. I guess we have nothing to lose because we aren't trying to contend anyway and he'll be more of a role model, but you have to wonder if his play was so poor last season due to age or other factors. His corsi and advanced stats were awful after being quite good the two years prior. His point production was also down. On the bright side, he did have his best season ever on face-offs with an impressive 52%, so I think his best spot is certainly at center on the 4th line.

I like Komarov because of the way he plays and his personality, but he definitely regressed a lot as a player last season. I guess we have nothing to lose because we aren't trying to contend anyway and he'll be more of a role model, but you have to wonder if his play was so poor last season due to age or other factors. His corsi and advanced stats were awful after being quite good the two years prior. His point production was also down. On the bright side, he did have his best season ever on face-offs with an impressive 52%, so I think his best spot is certainly at center on the 4th line.

One year prior, actually. His play fell off after 2015. I also agree overall, but still think there's some gas left in the tank to squeeze some value out of him. I'm just really, really hoping for no more than two years.

You think that's going to help this team next season?

You missed the reference.

Keenan once was in a heated debate with Glenn Healy and he questioned why Healy listened to everything Al Arbour said, he asked "What's the difference between me and Al Arbour?"

Healy says, 4 cups.

Thanks for that, was gonna look at the advanced stats to confirm what was clear to the eye. He used to be a better player and helped the kids in Toronto. Last year he was an obvious hindrance.

Archived