Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Gorton Interested in Playing Third Man on Tavares Deal with Toronto, Tampa, or Dallas

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,712
    Rep Power
    406

    Gorton Interested in Playing Third Man on Tavares Deal with Toronto, Tampa, or Dallas

    General manager Jeff Gorton is an interested third-party to the John Tavares sweeps, with the Blueshirts having ample cap space with which to help Tampa Bay, Toronto and Dallas if one of those clubs is able to convince the captain to depart the Island.
    https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/snipin...amp-scrimmage/

    --

    So, presumably a cap-fueled safety net for whoever needs to clear it. Spezza, Callahan, Martin, etc. All, I'd assume, 2019 assets.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,566
    Rep Power
    95
    Call me crazy but I really wouldn't hate having Matt Martin on the 4th line. I know he's paid too much but his term is manageable.
    GORTON 2020

  3. #3
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,058
    Rep Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Call me crazy but I really wouldn't hate having Matt Martin on the 4th line. I know he's paid too much but his term is manageable.
    OMG if Matt Martin came to the Rangers Boomer Esiason would be going nuts with excitement that he would get Sydney as a Rangers fan again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,520
    Rep Power
    131
    Assuming JT gets $12.5

    DAL doesn't need to shed salary.
    TBL would need to give up Cally, AND Coburn/G
    TOR only needs to shed if they're doing the 1-year, $15.9m deal.

    It's not realistic that the Rangers are going to get any legitimate assets to take on a contract. Tampa would have to give up a TON to get rid of two contracts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,536
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Assuming JT gets $12.5

    DAL doesn't need to shed salary.
    TBL would need to give up Cally, AND Coburn/G
    TOR only needs to shed if they're doing the 1-year, $15.9m deal.

    It's not realistic that the Rangers are going to get any legitimate assets to take on a contract. Tampa would have to give up a TON to get rid of two contracts.
    Tampa could trade Johnson instead of Cally tho. Trade Johnson for assets and trade Coburn to us with a 3th and they are ready for JT.

  6. #6
    Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    8,307
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Assuming JT gets $12.5

    DAL doesn't need to shed salary.
    TBL would need to give up Cally, AND Coburn/G
    TOR only needs to shed if they're doing the 1-year, $15.9m deal.

    It's not realistic that the Rangers are going to get any legitimate assets to take on a contract. Tampa would have to give up a TON to get rid of two contracts.
    The Stars only have 14 players currently though. $7.0 in Cap might be a bit tight for everyone not named Tavares. No?

  7. #7
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,520
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Tampa could trade Johnson instead of Cally tho. Trade Johnson for assets and trade Coburn to us with a 3th and they are ready for JT.
    True, same as Killorn, in theory, but I don't think they'd get quality roster players back, so you'd be sacrificing a lot of depth.

  8. #8
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,520
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    The Stars only have 14 players currently though. $7.0 in Cap might be a bit tight for everyone not named Tavares. No?
    I don't think so - but I'm also kind of assuming that Heiskinen and Dickinson move up. That would leave you with ~$5m for filler....just adding some random filler:

    Benn (9.5) - JT (12.5) - Radulov (6.25)
    Faksa (2.2) - Seguin (5.75) - Ritchie (1.75)
    Roussel (2) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)
    Dickinson (925k) - Hanzal (4.75) - Purcell (1)

    Method (4.9) - Klingberg (4.25)
    Lindell (2.2) - Jons (2.35)
    Heiskanen (894k) - Honka (863k)

    Bishop (4.9) - Lehner (1.5)

    Gionta ($750k)

    I know it's very tight, but it's doable, so they aren't in a position where they're over the cap and have to pay a premium to dump cap.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,058
    Rep Power
    98

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,536
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    True, same as Killorn, in theory, but I don't think they'd get quality roster players back, so you'd be sacrificing a lot of depth.
    If they trade Jonhson for a D they don't lose any depth actually. JT > Jonhson, New D > Coburn.

    Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Point on one team. That's possibly four ppg players together with a Norris winning D and a Vezina finalist goalie.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,018
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't think so - but I'm also kind of assuming that Heiskinen and Dickinson move up. That would leave you with ~$5m for filler....just adding some random filler:

    Benn (9.5) - JT (12.5) - Radulov (6.25)
    Faksa (2.2) - Seguin (5.75) - Ritchie (1.75)
    Roussel (2) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)
    Dickinson (925k) - Hanzal (4.75) - Purcell (1)

    Method (4.9) - Klingberg (4.25)
    Lindell (2.2) - Jons (2.35)
    Heiskanen (894k) - Honka (863k)

    Bishop (4.9) - Lehner (1.5)

    Gionta ($750k)

    I know it's very tight, but it's doable, so they aren't in a position where they're over the cap and have to pay a premium to dump cap.
    Isn't Seguin hitting RFA next summer? They have to line up a lot of ducks to get JT in and then make their own franchise player happy right afterwards. I guess it's possible.

    Shedding Spezza next year definitely helps. Not exactly sure why they don't do a salary dump with him now, just to give themselves time to figure out the nearing Seguin situation. But I guess going into this season with all three could be interesting too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •