• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton Interested in Playing Third Man on Tavares Deal with Toronto, Tampa, or Dallas

Phil

General manager Jeff Gorton is an interested third-party to the John Tavares sweeps, with the Blueshirts having ample cap space with which to help Tampa Bay, Toronto and Dallas if one of those clubs is able to convince the captain to depart the Island.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/sniping-rangers-prospect-steals-the-show-at-camp-scrimmage/

--

So, presumably a cap-fueled safety net for whoever needs to clear it. Spezza, Callahan, Martin, etc. All, I'd assume, 2019 assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Call me crazy but I really wouldn't hate having Matt Martin on the 4th line. I know he's paid too much but his term is manageable.

OMG if Matt Martin came to the Rangers Boomer Esiason would be going nuts with excitement that he would get Sydney as a Rangers fan again.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Assuming JT gets $12.5

DAL doesn't need to shed salary.

TBL would need to give up Cally, AND Coburn/G

TOR only needs to shed if they're doing the 1-year, $15.9m deal.

It's not realistic that the Rangers are going to get any legitimate assets to take on a contract. Tampa would have to give up a TON to get rid of two contracts.

Assuming JT gets $12.5

It's not realistic that the Rangers are going to get any legitimate assets to take on a contract. Tampa would have to give up a TON to get rid of two contracts.

Tampa could trade Johnson instead of Cally tho. Trade Johnson for assets and trade Coburn to us with a 3th and they are ready for JT.

Assuming JT gets $12.5

The Stars only have 14 players currently though. $7.0 in Cap might be a bit tight for everyone not named Tavares. No?

Tampa could trade Johnson instead of Cally tho. Trade Johnson for assets and trade Coburn to us with a 3th and they are ready for JT.

True, same as Killorn, in theory, but I don't think they'd get quality roster players back, so you'd be sacrificing a lot of depth.

The Stars only have 14 players currently though. $7.0 in Cap might be a bit tight for everyone not named Tavares. No?

I don't think so - but I'm also kind of assuming that Heiskinen and Dickinson move up. That would leave you with ~$5m for filler....just adding some random filler:

Benn (9.5) - JT (12.5) - Radulov (6.25)

Faksa (2.2) - Seguin (5.75) - Ritchie (1.75)

Roussel (2) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)

Dickinson (925k) - Hanzal (4.75) - Purcell (1)

Method (4.9) - Klingberg (4.25)

Lindell (2.2) - Jons (2.35)

Heiskanen (894k) - Honka (863k)

Bishop (4.9) - Lehner (1.5)

Gionta ($750k)

I know it's very tight, but it's doable, so they aren't in a position where they're over the cap and have to pay a premium to dump cap.

True, same as Killorn, in theory, but I don't think they'd get quality roster players back, so you'd be sacrificing a lot of depth.

If they trade Jonhson for a D they don't lose any depth actually. JT > Jonhson, New D > Coburn.

Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Point on one team. That's possibly four ppg players together with a Norris winning D and a Vezina finalist goalie.

I don't think so - but I'm also kind of assuming that Heiskinen and Dickinson move up. That would leave you with ~$5m for filler....just adding some random filler:

Benn (9.5) - JT (12.5) - Radulov (6.25)

Faksa (2.2) - Seguin (5.75) - Ritchie (1.75)

Roussel (2) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)

Dickinson (925k) - Hanzal (4.75) - Purcell (1)

Method (4.9) - Klingberg (4.25)

Lindell (2.2) - Jons (2.35)

Heiskanen (894k) - Honka (863k)

Bishop (4.9) - Lehner (1.5)

Gionta ($750k)

I know it's very tight, but it's doable, so they aren't in a position where they're over the cap and have to pay a premium to dump cap.

Isn't Seguin hitting RFA next summer? They have to line up a lot of ducks to get JT in and then make their own franchise player happy right afterwards. I guess it's possible.

Shedding Spezza next year definitely helps. Not exactly sure why they don't do a salary dump with him now, just to give themselves time to figure out the nearing Seguin situation. But I guess going into this season with all three could be interesting too.

Archived