• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Intend to Sign D Jack Johnson

Phil

Multiple reports including Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have surfaced indicating that the Pittsburgh Penguins intend to sign Jack Johnson to a five-year contract on July 1st. The deal will be in the area of $16MM total, and would make sense given the recent reports of discussions between the two sides. Though they?re technically not allowed to exchange contract figures until Sunday, team often have deals worked out ahead of time?as seen by the flurry of announcements just after the free agent period opens.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/06/pittsburgh-penguins-intend-to-sign-jack-johnson.html

The term isn't great, but getting him at under $3.5 million in AAV is good value. Matt Cane's projections had him on a one-year, $2.6 million deal.

I still wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole, though.

He's 31m which isn't great, but thats a very reasonable AAV for a guy who could realistically be a 2nd pair player on that team.

Close, but in five years, will he even be a third-pairing defender? It's arguable how much of a competent one he is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Based on numbers from one year on a team he fell out of favor with, which wasn't a very good team to begin with.

He would not be the first defenseman to rebound and be serviceable into his mid 30's. Contract is to 36 not 46 LOL.

Based on numbers from one year on a team he fell out of favor with, which wasn't a very good team to begin with.

He would not be the first defenseman to rebound and be serviceable into his mid 30's. Contract is to 36 not 46 LOL.

No, based on his career arc over the last four or five years. You make it sound like he came in for a year and just never found a role. He spent the last seven years in Columbus. Over the last four seasons his TOI/G has fallen, as has his general point production. He's never been a strong possession driver, but his relative CF and FF numbers were both horrific, and spiked from the prior three years.

Maybe it's an anomaly, but that's a risky choice to sink five years into, even for the Pens.

No, based on his career arc over the last four or five years. You make it sound like he came in for a year and just never found a role. He spent the last seven years in Columbus. Over the last four seasons his TOI/G has fallen, as has his general point production. He's never been a strong possession driver, but his relative CF and FF numbers were both horrific, and spiked from the prior three years.

Maybe it's an anomaly, but that's a risky choice to sink five years into, even for the Pens.

Well you're talking about a team that made Ron Hainsey and Trevor Daley look pretty good.

I mean Columbus D is pretty stacked especially after trading for Jones and emergence of Werenski.

Again I don't watch or follow Columbus enough to really know what was going on and I don't think you do either.

Pens struggles with the cap, so I guess they had to go 5 years to be able to sign him. Their D is horrible aswell, so he'll play top 4 minutes.

I would never take him for 5 years, but I guess it works for Pens. Ship him with a 2nd rounder in 3 years if he regresses too much, some rebuilding team would have no problem having him on the team for 2 years @ 3.2m.

Archived