Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: The Athletics Post Draft Grades

  1. #1
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    36

    The Athletics Post Draft Grades

    https://theathletic.com/389358/2018/...-draft-grades/

    Winners: Canadiens, Islanders, Red Wings, Buffalo (on account of getting Dahlin)
    Losers: Predators, Lightning

    Rangers: B

    New York Rangers
    Grade: B

    If there were picks the Rangers made where I thought “damn, that could work out well,” it was their very first pick in Vitali Kravtsov at No. 9, and their very last pick Riley Hughes at No. 216. In between that, we got a mixture of solid to decent prospect. K’Andre Miller is very good. I didn’t love him in top 20, but he has potential. Nils Lundkvist at No. 29 was high for me, as was the goalie Olof Lindbom at No. 38, despite the fact I thought he was a top tier goalie prospect in the class. I didn’t have Joey Keane on my board, but I heavily considered him and didn’t mind that pick or the Nico Gross one. I give the Rangers a good grade, because at the end of the day, Kravtsov is a hell of a player, Miller a very good one, and they got talent on Day 2, but I think they could have gotten more at the same time.
    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,389
    Rep Power
    419
    Yeah, the synopsis is about right. Especially the bit about how they could have gotten more (but willfully chose not to). I think a B is grading on too much of a curve, though, weighted far too heavily on Kravtsov. They did well on day one and medicore to poor on day two. That's a C at best.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,454
    Rep Power
    489
    What's the average of B- for day 1 and D for day 2?

  4. #4
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,389
    Rep Power
    419
    C-ish. Same area I've got them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    963
    Rep Power
    25
    With 3 first round picks in the first round, 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd in a deep draft, it's amazing how a team doesn't fall into an A for their draft. I still feel like not drafting Dobson or Bouchard is going to haunt this team. Kravtsov maybe become a great player but if those guys become what they are projected a top pairing right handed defenseman it's hard to take. Those kind of guys are as hard to find as a number 1 center. Top wingers are much easier to obtain.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,128
    Rep Power
    39
    i dont know crappola about any of the day two guys but it just felt a bit pedestrian for me.
    Acqua in bocca

  7. #7
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,639
    Rep Power
    21
    The 2nd round screwed it for me. The first round went exactly the way I wanted - talented winger #9 (was hoping for Wahlstrom, but I like Kravtsov) then two D’s with the latter two firsts (especially Miller was a good pick). The 2nd round I was hoping we would go for two risky high ceiling forwards with our two 2nds. We ended up trading one and used the other on a goalie we most likely never will se (wtf was the point with that pick, we have georgiev and Shesty).

    All in all, I would give the first round a B+, the 2nd a F and the rest was okey. B is a bit generous, but its in the first round most of the talent is and we got 3 good players in the 1st, so I can understand the B.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,541
    Rep Power
    82
    I don't get why they went almost all defense this draft. Our forward stockpile is a little barren.

  9. #9
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,677
    Rep Power
    100
    I know nothing but I’ll go C+.

    Favorite pick: Miller at 22 (even with the trade up)

    Least favorite: Lindbom at 39


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  10. #10
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,389
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I don't get why they went almost all defense this draft. Our forward stockpile is a little barren.
    D take the longest to develop. If this is a true rebuild—and we have no reason to believe otherwise—then it's strategic to load up on the blue line early.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,518
    Rep Power
    335
    Solid B. I think they had an A first round and a C 2-7. The first round had plenty of potential pitfalls as far as overpaying to trade up or not getting a good enough prospect by trading down. They could have also reached too far. None of the picks were a reach to me. Kravtsov vs Wahlstrom is debatable, as in you could make an argument for either. I liked the move up for Miller as a prospect with high upside and seemingly very low complete bust risk. I've seen the cost questioned, but according to history of moving in the same positions, the cost was spot on. Lundkvist with the late first was also a good, solid selection. So for round 1, I think as long as you weren't just married to a paricular player, they did good.

    The later picks were all over the place. Some were decent, others a bit questionable. Still, had they picked a proper player with the 39th overall, they could have had a really strong draft rather than just a decent one. I'm not against going for a goalie again in this past draft, given the number of picks they had, since they take so long to develop and you really never know whether they will be capable NHL starters until they are just that.

    As great as Hank has been, having to commit to him the way they did has hamstrung the team now somewhat. Having a series of goalies coming down the pipe that can be starters in the NHL is a bonus for teams. While they don't often become top-notch trade stock, what they allow is for teams to keep the position more cost controlled.

    Anyway, yeah, a solid B.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    963
    Rep Power
    25
    I can’t get over how people can grade their draft. Outside of the top 20 players or so who are covered by the media there is almost no way for anyone here to know who these kids are in the later rounds. You could run them over in your car and not know they were a rangers draft pick. Yet people take themselves as serious hockey experts to give a grade on players they have never seen play or probably even heard of until Saturday. It’s one thing to have an opinion on a first round pick that you can research or tube into a game or two to watch because you know the kids a prospect. Seriously though who here has seen the kids play who were picked in the later rounds. And if you saw their team play you actually focused on one of these kids.

  13. #13
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,518
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I can’t get over how people can grade their draft. Outside of the top 20 players or so who are covered by the media there is almost no way for anyone here to know who these kids are in the later rounds. You could run them over in your car and not know they were a rangers draft pick. Yet people take themselves as serious hockey experts to give a grade on players they have never seen play or probably even heard of until Saturday. It’s one thing to have an opinion on a first round pick that you can research or tube into a game or two to watch because you know the kids a prospect. Seriously though who here has seen the kids play who were picked in the later rounds. And if you saw their team play you actually focused on one of these kids.
    All of these prospects are covered by multiple sources. There are all sorts of rankings out there by people who make a living by in part knowing about them. So when the Rangers take Olof Lindbom with the 39th overall pick, it's pretty easy to see what kind of reach that was. He wasn't even the best ranked goalie in the draft. The highest I recall seeing him ranked anywhere was around 60. Then when you consider organizational need, goalie is probably last on the list. So take a goalie with a later pick if you want to add some depth there. In fact, Lindbom may well have been around for the 70th pick. The top ranked goalie, Oliver Rodrigue went 62nd overall. At the very least, the Rangers could have tried to trade back and get another pick later. Perhaps they did and no deal was available. But then, just take the risk that "your guy" would be there at 70, try to trade up from 70 with a later round pick or a pick next year, or what ever. But don't waste 20 draft spots like that. And certainly not a very early second round pick on that far of a reach.

    This kind of story exists for some of their other picks as well.

    Now, to me, what I personally think is that you, specifically, don't have access or know where to look for the kind of information that would let you evaluate these later selections. But some of us do know where to find that information to make an informed decision.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  14. #14
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,642
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    The 2nd round screwed it for me. The first round went exactly the way I wanted - talented winger #9 (was hoping for Wahlstrom, but I like Kravtsov) then two D’s with the latter two firsts (especially Miller was a good pick). The 2nd round I was hoping we would go for two risky high ceiling forwards with our two 2nds. We ended up trading one and used the other on a goalie we most likely never will se (wtf was the point with that pick, we have georgiev and Shesty).

    All in all, I would give the first round a B+, the 2nd a F and the rest was okey. B is a bit generous, but its in the first round most of the talent is and we got 3 good players in the 1st, so I can understand the B.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Because goalies are in high demand. Especially good ones. Like at forward and D, there's no such thing as too many goalies. They are assets to be traded later.

    Also you never know which goalie will pan out. What if the Russian kid comes over and shits the bed? Then what? Having other options is never a bad thing.
    GORTON 2020

  15. #15
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,454
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Because goalies are in high demand. Especially good ones. Like at forward and D, there's no such thing as too many goalies. They are assets to be traded later.

    Also you never know which goalie will pan out. What if the Russian kid comes over and shits the bed? Then what? Having other options is never a bad thing.
    Except he's not a very good goalie by all accounts, considering where he was selected.

  16. #16
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,050
    Rep Power
    262
    lol

  17. #17
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Except he's not a very good goalie by all accounts, considering where he was selected.
    I didn't like the pick, but iirc he's widely seen as the best goalie in this draft class.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,454
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I didn't like the pick, but iirc he's widely seen as the best goalie in this draft class.
    Can you link that? Because I've read there were some higher rated goalies drafted later (Dave mentioned one).

  19. #19
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,404
    Rep Power
    46
    Gorton said they were going BPA with that pick and Benoit Allaire and some of the scouts loved this kid and think he has some great upside.

    If he turns into Hank is anyone going to care that he was taken in the 2nd instead of the 3rd?

    He was ranked the 4th best goalie in this draft but if you’re asking me- goalies take much longer to develop so at 18 it’s a total crap shoot. The rangers saw something they liked and they have a great track record with goalies.

    Worst comes to worst you trade him for a winger down the line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  20. #20
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,454
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Gorton said they were going BPA with that pick and Benoit Allaire and some of the scouts loved this kid and think he has some great upside.

    If he turns into Hank is anyone going to care that he was taken in the 2nd instead of the 3rd?

    He was ranked the 4th best goalie in this draft but if you’re asking me- goalies take much longer to develop so at 18 it’s a total crap shoot. The rangers saw something they liked and they have a great track record with goalies.

    Worst comes to worst you trade him for a winger down the line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yes I would care because we have shesty and 4 other goalies and left positions of need on the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •