Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Athletics Post Draft Grades

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    We have Shestyorkin and a bunch of none prospects.

We also have a 36 YO goalie.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    We have Shestyorkin and a bunch of none prospects.

We also have a 36 YO goalie.
    Shesty and Greg, and you can find backups all over for $1 million in free agency.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    All of these prospects are covered by multiple sources. There are all sorts of rankings out there by people who make a living by in part knowing about them. So when the Rangers take Olof Lindbom with the 39th overall pick, it's pretty easy to see what kind of reach that was. He wasn't even the best ranked goalie in the draft. The highest I recall seeing him ranked anywhere was around 60. Then when you consider organizational need, goalie is probably last on the list. So take a goalie with a later pick if you want to add some depth there. In fact, Lindbom may well have been around for the 70th pick. The top ranked goalie, Oliver Rodrigue went 62nd overall. At the very least, the Rangers could have tried to trade back and get another pick later. Perhaps they did and no deal was available. But then, just take the risk that "your guy" would be there at 70, try to trade up from 70 with a later round pick or a pick next year, or what ever. But don't waste 20 draft spots like that. And certainly not a very early second round pick on that far of a reach.

This kind of story exists for some of their other picks as well.

Now, to me, what I personally think is that you, specifically, don't have access or know where to look for the kind of information that would let you evaluate these later selections. But some of us do know where to find that information to make an informed decision.
    Read all about them. However you have never laid eyeballs on these kids. You, like everybody here reads about them. I will let those who actually saw these kids play rank our draft.

Besides itís less common knowledge that the draft is a crap shoot in later rounds. Nobody has any clue who is the nhl player or future star drafted in round 5. So the grades by anyone after round 2 are basically meaningless. If the rangers get 1 good nhl player after round 2 then that grade will be an a.

Nobody thought hank or Rinne would amount to squat which is why they were drafted so late.

My grade: is that who gives a shit what I think. You can go read peoples opinions who actually saw the player. I wouldnít pretend to make myself seem that important or pretend I know more than any good hockey fan

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can you link that? Because I've read there were some higher rated goalies drafted later (Dave mentioned one).
    McKenzie had him as his #2 goalie, just 4 spots back of #1 (53rd overall)
    https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges...king-1.1115400

Idk that I've seen anyone say they had him at the top though.

Edit: Think he was Pronman's top goalie
    Last edited by Future; 06-26-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Read all about them. However you have never laid eyeballs on these kids. You, like everybody here reads about them. I will let those who actually saw these kids play rank our draft.

Besides it’s less common knowledge that the draft is a crap shoot in later rounds. Nobody has any clue who is the nhl player or future star drafted in round 5. So the grades by anyone after round 2 are basically meaningless. If the rangers get 1 good nhl player after round 2 then that grade will be an a.

Nobody thought hank or Rinne would amount to squat which is why they were drafted so late.

My grade: is that who gives a shit what I think. You can go read peoples opinions who actually saw the player. I wouldn’t pretend to make myself seem that important or pretend I know more than any good hockey fan
    Yet you started an entire thread about how the Rangers scouts, who actually watched these kids play all year, got everything wrong...

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Actually no. I have seen the top guys play. Wahlstrom and Dobson multiple times at the under 18 and the memorial cup respectively. Watching those games you concentrate on them knowing they are projected to be drafted near where the rangers will be picking. I have seen Kravtsov not as much obviously but when I did see his team he was who I was focused on because he was considered for the rangers second two picks. My point which was specifically stated is that guys drafted after the top 50 or so prospects are largely unknown by people who don’t make a living as scouts. Even if you saw those teams play you are not watching those kids with the thought of I’d take that kid with a 5th round pick. I understand opinions regarding players you watch play. I don’t understand someone giving a grade based upon nothing but second hand opinion from an article they read. Am I supposed to believe someone here saw the high school kid from mass play and can honestly say what they think the rangers got in that player? Are there people here watching the Swedish junior league?
    Last edited by Future; 06-26-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Actually no. I have seen the top guys play. Wahlstrom and Dobson multiple times at the under 18 and the memorial cup respectively. Watching those games you concentrate on them knowing they are projected to be drafted near where the rangers will be picking. I have seen Kravtsov not as much obviously but when I did see his team he was who I was focused on because he was considered for the rangers second two picks. My point which was specifically stated is that guys drafted after the top 50 or so prospects are largely unknown by people who donít make a living as scouts. Even if you saw those teams play you are not watching those kids with the thought of Iíd take that kid with a 5th round pick. I understand opinions regarding players you watch play. I donít understand someone giving a grade based upon nothing but second hand opinion from an article they read. Am I supposed to believe someone here saw the high school kid from mass play and can honestly say what they think the rangers got in that player? Are there people here watching the Swedish junior league?
    Yes yes yes, you're right about all of this. It's why I didn't give a grade and I've watched a good bunch of the top players. The draft is of little interest after the top 40 or 50 picks. They are just names and longshots at that point, with the odd guy you might have heard of.

Here is what you are forgetting. In listening to hockeyprospects for 4 hours or reading, etc most experts agreed Goalies were not going until late 2nd and 3rd round. We all dismissed the idea of a goalie. And he is 6'. Meanwhile, there were guys like Wilde (who I wanted there) and McLoud who also had 1st round projections. There was also Thomas, Tychonick and others people knew.

Add that we traded the other 2nd and all the sudden our expectations of getting 1st round leftovers in the 2nd, were dashed. The rest of the picks no one knows, hence why everyone gives 2-7 a shitty grade.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 06-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12