• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rick Nash Contemplating Retirement Amid Concussions?

Phil

Nash, according to Sweeney, continues to say through agent Joe Resnick that he isn?t sure if he wants to continue his career. He has had a few concussions over 1,149 career games (including playoffs) and now, amid the nearly daily stories of ex-NHLers dealing with addled brains, has to be pondering what his quality of life will be at 34 and beyond.

Keep in mind, Nash has only signed two contracts in his career, the first with Columbus worth $27 million, and the second also with Columbus (then completed with the Rangers and Bruins) worth $62.4 million. A guy with some $90 million in gross earnings can afford many things, including the luxury of pondering a comfortable dotage with his mind and psyche still intact.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2018/06/23/denied-ilya-kovalchuk-will-bruins-turn-attention-back-rick-nash/Sp7EUyDdcUPlJha1QhgCBL/story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What a shame. Hope the league and players continue to work to eliminate the unnecessary headshots and boarding. Maybe they should emphasize charging when combined with another penalty like boarding or interference, if a blow to the head results. Purposeful or not. Make it a new major penalty or just another reason to enforce the 5 min major and league review. The NHL needs to keep vigilance on this and not allow assault and battery to occur during the playoffs.

Darren Drager tweeted this morning that Nash has informed teams that he will not participate in the July 1 signing period and has yet to decide if he will play next year. I think the latest concussion he suffered late in the regular season with Boston may weigh heavily on him. With everything we know now, if I had 1,149 NHL games and multiple concussions under my belt, I'd be done.

What a shame. Hope the league and players continue to work to eliminate the unnecessary headshots and boarding. Maybe they should emphasize charging when combined with another penalty like boarding or interference, if a blow to the head results. Purposeful or not. Make it a new major penalty or just another reason to enforce the 5 min major and league review. The NHL needs to keep vigilance on this and not allow assault and battery to occur during the playoffs.

The only way to regulate the Stuart hit is with much, much heavier suspensions.

Archived