Thread: Rick Nash Contemplating Retirement Amid Concussions?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Rick Nash Contemplating Retirement Amid Concussions?

Nash, according to Sweeney, continues to say through agent Joe Resnick that he isnít sure if he wants to continue his career. He has had a few concussions over 1,149 career games (including playoffs) and now, amid the nearly daily stories of ex-NHLers dealing with addled brains, has to be pondering what his quality of life will be at 34 and beyond.

Keep in mind, Nash has only signed two contracts in his career, the first with Columbus worth $27 million, and the second also with Columbus (then completed with the Rangers and Bruins) worth $62.4 million. A guy with some $90 million in gross earnings can afford many things, including the luxury of pondering a comfortable dotage with his mind and psyche still intact.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...CBL/story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Think I said awhile ago I'd be shocked if he played again. He's a shell.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If you even have to think about it, you should retire. It's not worth it.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Midget Division
    What a shame. Hope the league and players continue to work to eliminate the unnecessary headshots and boarding. Maybe they should emphasize charging when combined with another penalty like boarding or interference, if a blow to the head results. Purposeful or not. Make it a new major penalty or just another reason to enforce the 5 min major and league review. The NHL needs to keep vigilance on this and not allow assault and battery to occur during the playoffs.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    He has his whole life ahead of him and has made enough money where he never would have to work again. But, I understand the competitive nature in these pro athletes where they all want to compete.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Darren Drager tweeted this morning that Nash has informed teams that he will not participate in the July 1 signing period and has yet to decide if he will play next year. I think the latest concussion he suffered late in the regular season with Boston may weigh heavily on him. With everything we know now, if I had 1,149 NHL games and multiple concussions under my belt, I'd be done.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    What a shame. Hope the league and players continue to work to eliminate the unnecessary headshots and boarding. Maybe they should emphasize charging when combined with another penalty like boarding or interference, if a blow to the head results. Purposeful or not. Make it a new major penalty or just another reason to enforce the 5 min major and league review. The NHL needs to keep vigilance on this and not allow assault and battery to occur during the playoffs.
    The only way to regulate the Stuart hit is with much, much heavier suspensions.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    he is making the right decision

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    I've seen the effects. It's bad. It's exceedingly hard to fix, if at all.
    It was clear ever time he'd climb that mountain back, he'd take another significant hit and it really affected him.
    Sad, but if he makes the decision to retire he should not feel bad about it for a second.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The NHL continues to drop the ball here. They are hiding behind a bush with no leaves.
    Acqua in bocca