• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Lauri Pajuniemi in 5th Rd. (132nd) Pick

Phil

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 points in 35 games, 5 in the last 6 in Liiga. Looks like a solid prospect, nice pickup in the 5th round.

Look at the leagues draft history on http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

The draft is littered with guys just like this that never play one NHL game. It's not just the Rangers it's just a numbers game. Very, very few actually make it and the later the round the greater the chance is that they don't make it. I'd imagine that we never hear from this guy in the NHL.

Look at the leagues draft history on http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

The draft is littered with guys just like this that never play one NHL game. It's not just the Rangers it's just a numbers game. Very, very few actually make it and the later the round the greater the chance is that they don't make it. I'd imagine that we never hear from this guy in the NHL.

...maybe this guy is different? Please?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

well, he was a 5th rounder, so Im obviously not expecting anything. Still nice to see him progressing and playing well in a tough league. Most likely he wont turn into anything (like most 5th rounders), but you never know.

Ugh, jeez. Fast is a warm body. Hopefully some of these late picks are more than that.

Cant really hope for more than a warm body with a 5th round pick.

We've had 5 1st rounders + 3-4 2nd rounders just the last two seasons. Those picks are supposed to be something more than just a warm body. Getting Fast for a 5th rounder would be a huge win.

Cant really hope for more than a warm body with a 5th round pick.

We've had 5 1st rounders + 3-4 2nd rounders just the last two seasons. Those picks are supposed to be something more than just a warm body. Getting Fast for a 5th rounder would be a huge win.

Absolutely, but I'd rather they hit on a depth scoring type of guy than a grinder if that makes sense.

• 8 months later...

2 goals and 1 assists today in Liiga. Up to 8 goals, 10 points in 17 games. 3rd on his team in scoring.

I really think this guy has potential to be an NHL player. He?s still just 20 and seems to improve every game. Looks like a really nice pick in the 5th round.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Keep him over there 2 or 3 more seasons. Man, the progress he's made.

I thought we'd eventually see him as a Fast-like replacement, but this offensive outburst has been great... even though I think the team has had some issues this season

Yeah, the good thing about him being a 5th rounder is that there is no reason to rush him over. Give him 2/3 season, let him dominate the league before coming over.

His progress has been amazing. In a redraft he would definitely go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Still a long way to go for him, but looking good for a 5th rounder.

• 4 weeks later...

At this point, I think the Finnish league just kind of sucks. Not to take away from this kid's potential, but perennial NHL failure Puljujarvi is lighting it up there. Kakko lit it up last year and has been, for the most part, unimpressive in the NHL.

I think you bring him over next year and see what he's got. Staying there against far inferior players won't mean much.

A guy drafted in the 5th round last year tearing up the finish league with a horrible team is not impressive?

I know Puljujarvi never turned into the player they hoped for (had a 20 point season in 65 games), but he was a top 5 pick. Pajuniemi now has the same amount of points (6 goals more) than Puljujarvi this season. And remember that Pajuniemi is almost 2 years younger.

Dont really care how good/bad anyone think the league is. What he's doing is REALLY good for a 20y/old 5th round pick.

Looking at other late 1st/early 2nd round picks from that draft class, he would definitely go in the 1st/2nd round in a re-draft.

A guy drafted in the 5th round last year tearing up the finish league with a horrible team is not impressive?

I know Puljujarvi never turned into the player they hoped for (had a 20 point season in 65 games), but he was a top 5 pick. Pajuniemi now has the same amount of points (6 goals more) than Puljujarvi this season. And remember that Pajuniemi is almost 2 years younger.

Dont really care how good/bad anyone think the league is. What he's doing is REALLY good for a 20y/old 5th round pick.

Looking at other late 1st/early 2nd round picks from that draft class, he would definitely go in the 1st/2nd round in a re-draft.

Sure. Given zero expectations as a 5th round pick he's showing we should maybe start having some. I'm just taking the stats with a grain of salt given the league is all. He's doing what he can to get noticed and that's good, but I don't know why we would need to let him play over there until he's 22-23 years old.

Sure. Given zero expectations as a 5th round pick he's showing we should maybe start having some. I'm just taking the stats with a grain of salt given the league is all. He's doing what he can to get noticed and that's good, but I don't know why we would need to let him play over there until he's 22-23 years old.

He wont play there until he?s 22-23. With the season he?s having he will for sure be with Hartford next year (atleast he should). He?s younger and already better than Barron, who everyone hypes up because he play in NA.