Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding is a Multi-Year Affair

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect

Rebuilding is a Multi-Year Affair

I know the Rangers took a lot of defensemen in this year's draft to add to the prospect pool they already have and quite a few people wanted them to grab some wingers, but it's all shaping up nicely in my estimation.

Here's who they had in their system prior to the 2018 draft:

Defenders (age):
    Skjei (24)
    Pionk (22)
    DeAngelo (22)
    Rykov (21)
    Hajek (20)
    Day (20)
    Lindgren (20)

Centers (age):
    Howden (20)
    Andersson (19)
    Chtyil (18)

Wingers (age):
    Buchnevich (23)
    Lettieri (23)
    Lindqvist (23)
    Meskanen (22)
    Gropp (21)
    Ronning (20)
    Gettinger (20)

Goalies (age):
    Mazanec (26)
    Nell (23)
    Shestoyorkin (22)
    Georgiev (22)
    Halverson (22)
    Huska (21)
    Wall (20)

Stocking up on a bunch of 18 and 19 year old defensemen along with an elite winger prospect was the right move. Next year, as they continue the rebuild, I would think they'll grab another center or two, along with a bunch of wingers. Since traditional development sees goalies take the longest, then defensemen, then centers and finally wingers, this path makes the most sense to me. I'm not even hating adding an 18 year old goalie to the system, although I wish they would have waited til the 3rd or 4th round to do it.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I’m fine with drafting a goalie but not in the 2nd round
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I’m fine with drafting a goalie but not in the 2nd round
    Right. Especially given that the Rangers haven't had a second-round pick work on a goalie since Richter. Just doesn't work in the first two rounds. The value is elsewhere.

I'm fine with some of the selections the Rangers made on day 2. There were plenty of defensemen I liked that I would've taken multiples of. Just not particularly some of the guys the Rangers took, and that includes guys in the deep rounds.

At least you can't say that the Rangers don't have a significant prospect pool.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    i totally agree with you guys ,drafting a goalie in the second was

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I get it, rebuilding takes time. I'm fine with it. On the whole, I'd probably grade their draft a C.

But given how many times they gave higher ranked players—Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde most notably—away to the Islanders to take "their" players is the kind of decision making that can burn them for the next 15-plus years.

I'm not so much concerned with the pace of their rebuild, but their strategy that willfully passed on more talented players for the second straight year.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Clark made a comment in regards to Kravtsov being a center, even tho’ we took him as a winger

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    Where will everyone play next year? Skjei, Buch will obviously play in the NHL, most likely Chytil, ADA, Pionk and Georgiev too. Lias, Lettieri, Meskanen and Gropp will try and secure a roster spot in training camp and if not they'll play in the AHL.

But what about Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Howden, Ronning, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, all the goalies and all the rest of the picks? Will most of them join Hartford? Play overseas? College?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    We just have to remain patient as this will take a while. Just pray that it works.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Where will everyone play next year? Skjei, Buch will obviously play in the NHL, most likely Chytil, ADA, Pionk and Georgiev too. Lias, Lettieri, Meskanen and Gropp will try and secure a roster spot in training camp and if not they'll play in the AHL.

But what about Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Howden, Ronning, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, all the goalies and all the rest of the picks? Will most of them join Hartford? Play overseas? College?
    Gorton said:

Hajek, Howden: Ready to turn pro. Will give it a shot at camp.
    Lundkvist: Another year in Sweden
    Miller: U of Wisconsin
    Kravtsov: He's not really giving a straight answer. They'll have a chat with him and his agent. Could go the "Chytil route", i.e. come over straight away and either make the team or play in the A. Could also stay in Russia for another year.
    Day: Will give it a shot at camp.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Why did I think Day was a small defenseman? I just realized he's 6'3"
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Gorton said:

Hajek, Howden: Ready to turn pro. Will give it a shot at camp.
    Lundkvist: Another year in Sweden
    Miller: U of Wisconsin
    Kravtsov: He's not really giving a straight answer. They'll have a chat with him and his agent. Could go the "Chytil route", i.e. come over straight away and either make the team or play in the A. Could also stay in Russia for another year.
    Day: Will give it a shot at camp.
    Please correct or expand. Probably worth having some kind of grid we can fill out as lower picks shake out and join teams.

Rykov and Shestyorkin: One more year in KHL
    Lindgren: Left UMN and signed an ECL, so Hartford likely
    Ronning: Finished juniors and signed ECL, so Hartford if he can cut it now - maybe ECHL if not
    Lindbom: Another year in SHL?
    Hughes: Committed to Northeastern

You gotta figure training camp will be a spirited affair. There's a whole lot of dream fulfillment and opportunity available to those who can grab it.

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Please correct or expand. Probably worth having some kind of grid we can fill out as lower picks shake out and join teams.

Rykov and Shestyorkin: One more year in KHL
    Lindgren: Left UMN and signed an ECL, so Hartford likely
    Ronning: Finished juniors and signed ECL, so Hartford if he can cut it now - maybe ECHL if not
    Lindbom: Another year in SHL?
    Hughes: Committed to Northeastern

You gotta figure training camp will be a spirited affair. There's a whole lot of dream fulfillment and opportunity available to those who can grab it.
    That's Entry Level Contract (ELC), not ECL.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Why did I think Day was a small defenseman? I just realized he's 6'3"
    Maybe because he's such a good skater?

I can't think of a more fun D-pair to watch, potentially, than Day and K'Andre. That size and skating ability would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Maybe because he's such a good skater?

I can't think of a more fun D-pair to watch, potentially, than Day and K'Andre. That size and skating ability would be awesome.
    I'm looking forward to that one!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    They better be good skaters, they'll have a lot of fuckups to cover up.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post

I'd hesitate to add Vinni with this group. He's still sort of young (23) to completely write off but I was not impressed at all (outside of training camp) with what he brings to the table.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'd hesitate to add Vinni with this group. He's still sort of young (23) to completely write off but I was not impressed at all (outside of training camp) with what he brings to the table.
    Really? What didn't you like about him?

I think he needs to be more physical to consistently make an impact in the NHL, but I liked that he was shoot first and played a fast game.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Because he's small and doesn't do any one thing particularly well besides shoot, but he's not great at finding soft ice and getting open for shots.

He'll go to the net though, which I guess Quinn will like.

I'd like to see what these younger guys are like under a real coach before we write 'em off.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I'd like to see what these younger guys are like under a real coach before we write 'em off.
    Me too and there will be a lot of growing pains for these young players and coach.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast