• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Now That They're in a Full Rebuild, How 'Bout That Lucic Contract?

Well, Gorton has proved the rebuild is in full effect. Out on any big names, made all three first round picks, hired a developmental coach. He's showed his commitment to taking some lumps and doing this a little differently than the NYR have in the past. I made a post a while back about taking on a bad contract, and limited it to sorter deals. Now that Gorton has laid everything on the table, longer deals like Lucic's are back in play. Here's how the numbers shake out...

2018/19:

Currently have ~$29.5M in cap sapce.

Key resignings: Skjei ($4.5), Hayes ($5), Names ($4.5), Spooner ($3.5), Vesey ($2.5).

That would leave us ~$9.5M with our roster pretty much filled out. Plenty of room to take on Lucic's $6M, especially if one of those RFA forwards goes the other way.

Now you're thinking, "Yea, but Lucic's deal has FIVE more years on it?" Ok, so say Spooner and his $3.5M go the other way in taking on Lucic. That would put us at ~$7M in cap space. Zucc ($4.5) and one of Hayes or Names traded at the deadline and we're looking at $16M in cap space for summer 2019.

Summer 2019:

~$16M in cap space

Key resignings: Buch, Pionk, DeAngelo

Summer 2020:

~$10.9M coming off the books

Key resignings: Kreider, Fast (that's if Kreiders isn't traded)

Summer 2021:

Now it gets interesting. Lucic has 2 years left.

Key resignings: Lias, Chytil, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Ronning (Pretty much any prospect we have signed that has a shot)

~$25M set to come off the books in Hank, Staal, Shatty, and Smith

At this point you can consider a buyout on Lucic. This years picks will be on ELC's until 2022 at the earliest.

So, as a comparable, Florida traded Lawson Crouse one year after drafting him #11 overall for a 3rd round pick in order to dump 3 years of Bolland @ $5.5M.

To NYR: [Good] 2019 1st round pick (unprotected) and Puljujarvi along with [bad] 5 years of Lucic @ $6M

To Edmonton: Spooner (Depth scoring they need), any D prospect other than Miller or Lundkvist, the latest of whatever 2019 2nd round picks we have.

Yes, IMO Lucic's contract is that bad and Edmonton desperately needs to move it in order to compete.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucic has a No Movement Clause and he has already talked about expecting to rebound next year in Edmonton. Why would he have any interest in waiving to come to the rebuilding New York Rangers for any potential productive years he may have left in the tank?

For arguments sake though, let's say he is interested in that deal.

No. No way. Forget it.

I’d take awful contracts with only a couple years left on the deal as long as the pot is sweetened considerably..

Too soo for #HorribleForHughes, #Junk4Jack hashtags? although I’m sure we’d go off script and not take him :D

Lucic has a No Movement Clause and he has already talked about expecting to rebound next year in Edmonton. Why would he have any interest in waiving to come to the rebuilding New York Rangers for any potential productive years he may have left in the tank?

No. No way. Forget it.

Isn’t this the exact type of team for a guy in his situation?

If he can come with a bit of salary retained, comes ready to play, he couldn’t get some good ice time, PP time, chance to get those stats to rebound.

He can get moved in 2 seasons, with more retention, if there’s a market.

Nope. Not unless they trade one one of RNH OR Draisaitl.

If Edmonton had no future, I'd think more about it, but they stand a chance to improve no matter what they do, and have a pick late in the 1st round.

I'm not taking any big contract without getting something of value back. Edmonton's first round pick next year won't be of enough value to eat that money.

I have mentioned that I don't think Lucic is finished or as bad as people say. I'd totally take him on the Rangers. But the pot has to be really sweet. It'd have to be one of their centers. I'd take RNH. BUT Edmonton needs to absorb money's.

Honestly, even at 50%, the five year term is still making me lean hard no. It's just too damned long.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We're in a unique spot where every single contract we have except for Zib (and a potential bad one) comes off the books by the time we need to start resigning ELC's. We'll have plenty of money to resign any kids worth keeping.

No. No way. Forget it.

Lucic was just an example to show numbers on a long term deal. Maybe he'd waive if he never saw the ice in Edmonton. What's he gonna rebound to, 20 goals and 40 points? For how long? Edmonton needs that money to fix their D.

I don?t think we need a center, we need righthanded forwards, give me Puljujarvi and Yamamoto

Plus I don?t think Lucius contract is as bad as people think. Yes it?s a cap hit of 6 mil. over 5 yrs left. But this year he has a 3.5 mil. signing bonus. Which if I?m right kicks in on July 01st, so a deal would have to be made official after that day much like the Brassard deal. That Will give him an actual contract of 3.5 mil. for this year. Then the following 4 yrs it?s 6,4,5,4 mil. So technically he has 22.5 mil and 5 yrs. left. Or 4.5 mil. Avg. There are plenty of teams that don?t spend the cap who would definitely do that with a 1st and Puljujarvi.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don’t think we need a center, we need righthanded forwards, give me Puljujarvi and Yamamoto.

Plus I don’t think Lucius contract is as bad as people think. Yes it’s a cap hit of 6 mil. over 5 yrs left. But this year he has a 3.5 mil. signing bonus. Which if I’m right kicks in on July 01st, so a deal would have to be made official after that day much like the Brassard deal. That Will give him an actual contract of 3.5 mil. for this year. Then the following 4 yrs it’s 6,4,5,4 mil. So technically he has 22.5 mil and 5 yrs. left. Or 4.5 mil. Avg. There are plenty of teams that don’t spend the cap who would definitely do that with a 1st and Puljujarvi.

For the Rangers the actual amount of real money they are spending doesn't matter. Its all about fitting it under the cap.

Yep, but what I?m saying is we can make the deal, take Lucic contract and in a year or 2, dump it ourselves on a team that doesn?t spent their cap. I?m agreeing with Long Live the King, What we are looking to do is add a couple of young players to our Team. It was said earlier, we are not gonna reach the cap this year because there are no good free agents out there. Depending on who?s available next year and how many of our young guys have developed we may or may not spend our cap next. But the year after that we can always deal Lucic contract ( in 2yrs time he will have, after the 3mil signing bonus 1,5,4 mil left on his deal in actual salary)3 yrs and 10 mil. I?m just further breaking down the actual contract to show that it can be done.

I don?t think we need a center, we need righthanded forwards, give me Puljujarvi and Yamamoto

Plus I don?t think Lucius contract is as bad as people think. Yes it?s a cap hit of 6 mil. over 5 yrs left. But this year he has a 3.5 mil. signing bonus. Which if I?m right kicks in on July 01st, so a deal would have to be made official after that day much like the Brassard deal. That Will give him an actual contract of 3.5 mil. for this year. Then the following 4 yrs it?s 6,4,5,4 mil. So technically he has 22.5 mil and 5 yrs. left. Or 4.5 mil. Avg. There are plenty of teams that don?t spend the cap who would definitely do that with a 1st and Puljujarvi.

No, it won't. This isn't how contracts work in the NHL. They're based on AAV unless one team trades the player and retains upward of 50% in the deal. The only way Lucic has a cap hit of $3.5 million against the cap is if EDM agrees to this, in fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

READ, I never said it was a cap hit of 3.5 mil. I said it?s an actual salary. WE WON?T HIT the cap with the team we have and there?s no good free agents out there worth paying. If we need to trade him later there are plenty of teams who don?t spend their cap, that would absorb his cap hit, and be able to pay his actual salary.

Big difference between actual salary and cap hit salary.

What I was alluding to before was, his contract isn?t a total dump, it?s not gonna be a desperation trade for Edmonton or a dead contract to us. As other teams will take his contract along with Puljujarvi and a 1st and be willing to give them a halfway decent return because they can fit his cap hit under their cap with them just paying his 3.5 mil. Bonus and washing their hands of the rest of his contract because the actual is less than the cap hit. So as far as asking them to take part of his contract is not gonna happen. Let?s just take it along with Puljujarvi and the 1st and run with it.

Archived