Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

  1. #21
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,223
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    To me, he still looks very raw.
    And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

    And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)
    Pressure can be managed with good mgmt. The pressure picks up once mgmt handles expectations poorly and doesn't put a wet blanket on any hype.

    Josh, times they are a changing. No reason to think talented fast physical 1st rounders need five years before being able to break into the league. Even raw defenders... and he is not raw or immature in a number of areas. He'll have no problem with the speed of the game or the size, something a lot of kids can't say.

  2. #22
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,619
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    My "concern" with Miller is he is an athlete first, hockey player second.

    We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.
    That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

    I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
    https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/...12601528012800
    https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/stat...41715071287296

    He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

  3. #23
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,075
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

    I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
    https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/...12601528012800
    https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/stat...41715071287296

    He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.
    i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

    I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
    Not, an athlete playing hockey.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #24
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,619
    Rep Power
    134
    Just kind of adding to the discussion, Miller's analytics (though USNDP vs. CHL is kind of tricky), are phenomenal. Per Mitch Brown...

    https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/...cking-project/

    If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.
    Miller is an athlete first, but he seems to know how to use it already, and he's more productive offensively than he's getting credit for, based on this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,404
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

    I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
    Not, an athlete playing hockey.
    Hes playing next season in college. Theyll probably re-evaluate him again afterwards regarding the future but nothing management or scouting has said about him indicates that they think hes ready to compete yet or any time soon really.

    If I can say anything about this whole rebuild so far its that the team seems to be completely dedicated to making sure theyre doing it correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    36
    K'Andre scored and was the best player on the ice in his debut for Wisconsin according to this.
    https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018...boston-college

  7. #27
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,638
    Rep Power
    20
    Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol

  8. #28
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,766
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol
    Id guess its the size of the ice.
    1/2 of that roster is 6ft or taller


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •