• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Agreed. Thank god we traded up. I know some were upset we had to give up a 2nd for four spots but I’m pretty positive he would of gone at 23. Kid is killing it as a freshman

People were also upset we didn't draft Whalstrom. Moral of the story: fans don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to the draft.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People were also upset we didn't draft Whalstrom. Moral of the story: fans don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to the draft.
Guess scouts don't, either, if you're using Wahlstrom as your barometer.

Also, you're statement is patently false.

He better be, but that's a given. He's not going to need it and he's not there for an education, he's there to play hockey for Wisconsin.

think of it as he is majoring in hockey with a concentration in defense and a minor in being a fuckin gem.

does staying in school help better prepare him for his career path?

Agreed. Thank god we traded up. I know some were upset we had to give up a 2nd for four spots but I’m pretty positive he would of gone at 23. Kid is killing it as a freshman

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Anaheim were really big on him.

You could also tell we really wanted him because we already had the jersey made up for him. They were going to give up whatever they needed to give up to trade up to that spot and take him and they knew it.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Anaheim were really big on him.

You could also tell we really wanted him because we already had the jersey made up for him. They were going to give up whatever they needed to give up to trade up to that spot and take him and they knew it.

Given the mgmt interviews, the Rangers believed one or more teams likely would select him before 26. I too remember Anaheim as the rumored team. Of course, Miller being from Minn, the Wild were a worry at 24. And St Louis has an excellent track record with their 1sts.

I was surprised it cost a 2nd to move to #22, instead of our early 3rd. But it seemed steep only for a moment, until I realized we got the player I wanted! How often does that happen? There are a few threads in this section that show I wasn't the only one who liked Miller before the draft. We are unanimously delighted, so far. No Wisc games till mid Jan, but we have the Worlds to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
K’Andre Miller, D, New York Rangers (Wisconsin-Big 10)

Miller currently is Wisconsin’s leading scorer, which is pretty good for a guy who played mostly a defensive role with the USNTDP last season. Miller’s always had the size and great skating, but he’s shown more confidence with the puck this season, leading to a lot more offense. He’s expected to play a significant role for Team USA and is one of the top NHL prospects on the team.

From Pronmans U-20 preview.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently the 47th best NHL prospect according to Pronman's midseason ranking:

47. K’Andre Miller, D, New York Rangers

Miller has had a great freshman season. His world juniors didn’t go well as he got sick. At Wisconsin, though, he leads his team in scoring and is one of the better freshmen in the country. He’s a fantastic skater for a big man and competes hard at both ends. He’s shown more offense this season than I saw from him previously. I’m not fully convinced he’s a natural puck-mover/playmaker, but he can rush with the best of them and has solid skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
guess he went hard into the boards and is pretty bruised up. Granato said no knee damage but he's probably out for a week or so just the same.

Granato said he might be out for a week or so. It's been a month, WI played their 1st game of the Big 10 playoffs last night, and he's still out.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pronmans report on the best prospects from the junior showcase:

K’Andre Miller, D, New York Rangers

Miller looked like a returning player, being a quality player at both ends of the rink. His size, physicality and skating has always stood out. What I noticed at the camp was his ability to jump up into attacks, to make plays and to impact the transition game more than I did when he was with the USNTDP. He had a good year at Wisconsin, getting power play time and providing a fair amount of offense. “Being quick in transition is a huge part of my game, whether it’s jumping up into a rush or breaking up plays,” said Miller.

“He’s a high-end prospect,” said one scout of Miller.

• 1 month later...