Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    To me, he still looks very raw.
    And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)
    Pressure can be managed with good mgmt. The pressure picks up once mgmt handles expectations poorly and doesn't put a wet blanket on any hype.

Josh, times they are a changing. No reason to think talented fast physical 1st rounders need five years before being able to break into the league. Even raw defenders... and he is not raw or immature in a number of areas. He'll have no problem with the speed of the game or the size, something a lot of kids can't say.

Moderator Junior Division
    My "concern" with Miller is he is an athlete first, hockey player second.

We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.
    That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
    https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/...12601528012800
    https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/stat...41715071287296

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
    https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/...12601528012800
    https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/stat...41715071287296

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.
    i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
    Not, an athlete playing hockey.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just kind of adding to the discussion, Miller's analytics (though USNDP vs. CHL is kind of tricky), are phenomenal. Per Mitch Brown...

https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/...cking-project/

If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.
    Miller is an athlete first, but he seems to know how to use it already, and he's more productive offensively than he's getting credit for, based on this.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
    Not, an athlete playing hockey.
    He’s playing next season in college. They’ll probably re-evaluate him again afterwards regarding the future but nothing management or scouting has said about him indicates that they think he’s ready to compete yet or any time soon really.

If I can say anything about this whole rebuild so far it’s that the team seems to be completely dedicated to making sure they’re doing it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    K'Andre scored and was the best player on the ice in his debut for Wisconsin according to this.
    https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018...boston-college

Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol
    I’d guess it’s the size of the ice.
    1/2 of that roster is 6ft or taller

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 4 games. Apparently looking like a total stud.

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 4 games. Apparently looking like a total stud.
    If he keeps this up, it becomes more conceivable that he could be one and done with the Badgers.

//reported Junior Division
    Nice. I really liked this pick at the time, but mostly because of the draft show and the montage they did for him, but still.
    Good for this kid. We need these first and second rounders to bear fruit.
    LGR!

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    When does the NCAA start their robust 6 game regular season schedule?
    Last edited by Dunny; 10-25-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    When does the NCAA start their robust 6 game regular season schedule?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    If he keeps this up, it becomes more conceivable that he could be one and done with the Badgers.
    More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 10-26-2018 at 03:57 AM.

Senior Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.
    You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Just for some context... Mac was the #12 overall, played 3 years at Wisconsin, and then just 7 games in the AHL

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Is he WJC eligible this year?

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is he WJC eligible this year?
    Yeah. He should make it.

He should do at least another season there. He'll have Turcotte and Caufield joining him next season and that should make for an exciting team.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I don’t like rushing players, particularly defensemen who take longer to develop. And a guy like him who started playing late in life (I believe that was his story, correct?) should play at the lower level as much as possible before coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    I don’t like rushing players, particularly defensemen who take longer to develop. And a guy like him who started playing late in life (I believe that was his story, correct?) should play at the lower level as much as possible before coming up.

I think he used to be a forward, just played D the last 2-3 years IIRC. But your point stands, we shouldn't rush this guy - he has a lot to learn.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast