• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Vitali Kravtsov in 1st Rd. (9th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Most just saw highlights and said they “watch”

Depending on the number of highlights you're watching, I'd argue that counts. Enough to make a judgment call, at least. But the ones who matter — the guys who truly follow the game at a prospect level — almost all had Wahlstrom ranked ahead of Kravstov.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the number of highlights you're watching, I'd argue that counts. But the ones who matter — the guys who truly follow the game at a prospect level — almost all had Wahlstrom ranked ahead of Kravstov.

The thing about highlights...They don't show lowlights.

The thing about highlights...They don't show lowlights.

For sure. Which is why I appeal to authority on drafting, generally speaking. Scouts watching kids play all year long know way more than I do, watching sparingly (if at all). But that doesn't remove my ability to criticize the Rangers when they clearly reach for a player universally ranked lower than he's taken. Andersson, for example, or McIlrath in a more extreme case. I don't think it's at all out of bounds to say, on average, taking the 12th ranked player (aggregate) with the 8th pick isn't sound strategy.

If it works out, great. Thus far it appears they're right on Kravstov over Wahlstrom. But the jury is still largely out on both as neither is in the NHL yet.

For sure. Which is why I appeal to authority on drafting, generally speaking. Scouts watching kids play all year long know way more than I do, watching sparingly (if at all). But that doesn't remove my ability to criticize the Rangers when they clearly reach for a player universally ranked lower than he's taken. Andersson, for example, or McIlrath in a more extreme case. I don't think it's at all out of bounds to say, on average, taking the 12th ranked player (aggregate) with the 8th pick isn't sound strategy.

If it works out, great. Thus far it appears they're right on Kravstov over Wahlstrom. But the jury is still largely out on both as neither is in the NHL yet.

The small ice is the great equalizer.

Jury's still out on Andersson, I think. I see your overall point though.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree in general, but the difference between players ranked 8-12 usually comes down to preference rather than a significant gap in quality.

It's also worth noting that in Kravtov's case, he really was a late riser due to his playoff performance. Who knows where he'd be ranked if he played a similar role during the regular season. I think with Russian players there's always an element of familiarity or lack thereof. in literally every draft there is a Russian kid going late who turns out to be absolute dynamite.

I also felt that there's was too little weight given to the effect of Wahlstrom riding shotgun with Jack Hughes. I mean you can only imagine the type of numbers Kravtsov would put up playing alongside Hughes against kids rather than in the KHL.

That being said, we still don't know how this pans out. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. Maybe Wahlstrom comes into the league and pots 40 a season and make them look like total pricks for not selecting him. So far it's looking good though.

I agree in general, but the difference between players ranked 8-12 usually comes down to preference rather than a significant gap in quality.

It's also worth noting that in Kravtov's case, he really was a late riser due to his playoff performance. Who knows where he'd be ranked if he played a similar role during the regular season. I think with Russian players there's always an element of familiarity or lack thereof. in literally every draft there is a Russian kid going late who turns out to be absolute dynamite.

I also felt that there's was too little weight given to the effect of Wahlstrom riding shotgun with Jack Hughes. I mean you can only imagine the type of numbers Kravtsov would put up playing alongside Hughes against kids rather than in the KHL.

That being said, we still don't know how this pans out. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. Maybe Wahlstrom comes into the league and pots 40 a season and make them look like total pricks for not selecting him. So far it's looking good though.

Russian kid going late...paging Nikita Kucherov picked in the second round no.51

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

More like, can you imagine Hughes' production boost playing with Mogilny Jr amirite?

Pronman's report on the best players from the U20 4 nations:

Russia’s top line of Denisenko, Vitali Kravtsov (NYR) and Nikolai Kovalenko (COL):

This was the best line at the tournament, with the line exploding for five goals in one game. Kravtsov wasn’t as dominant as he was at the August tournament but he was still good, playing with pace and skill. Interestingly to me, Russia deployed him as the center, which I’ve never seen him play before. Russia is deep on wings but thin down the middle this season for the WJC, so this could carry over to the real tournament. Kovalenko was no slouch, either. He made plays, competed hard and seemed to have an extra jump in his step from last season.

yeah, but he's not norwegian :D

Would be fun to see Emilio make it to the big league. He would be the new norwegian midget in the league lol

Yeah, that would be good. I think the Flames made a good pick there.

I played against his dad quite a few times, many moons ago. He played for M/S back in the day.