• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Vitali Kravtsov in 1st Rd. (9th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Tarasenko and Kuznetsov staying in the KHL for as long as they did weren't developmental choices.

Kravtsov has indicated a desire to come over since he was drafted. The only thing holding him back was his commitment to his KHL contract. Once that expires he's coming over. There's also nothing stopping him from playing say a round or two in the KHL playoffs and still coming over in time for an AHL playoff run if Hartford is in contention.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He told a reporter, in an interview, his plan for the rest of the season is...

Ah,that makes sense. Got it, thanks.

I'm with you guys, I have no problem with him getting traded to Ska for the KHL playoffs. :) Also, no need for him to put on a Ranger uniform this year, regardless. Don't start burning a year of his ELC this year, no matter what.

Tarasenko and Kuznetsov staying in the KHL for as long as they did weren't developmental choices.

Kravtsov has indicated a desire to come over since he was drafted. The only thing holding him back was his commitment to his KHL contract. Once that expires he's coming over. There's also nothing stopping him from playing say a round or two in the KHL playoffs and still coming over in time for an AHL playoff run if Hartford is in contention.

All true and spot on. He's not going to be in the KHL next year. He may not make the team next year out of camp, but I think we'll give him a legitimate shot at it.

If I had to bet, I'd certainly bet on him. Just staying consistent with the theme that he'll have to earn it in camp. I'm going to assume he will. I think Shesty will too, if he is in camp.

I'm halfway joking of course, but I really do think his ability is such that I feel absolutely confident he'll make the team. I also think the organization is so invested in him that to not make the team he'd have to be so poor in camp they decided he's simply not ready. And I think he's played enough grown-up hockey in Russia that it seems unlikely.

Agreed on Shesty too.

I'm halfway joking of course, but I really do think his ability is such that I feel absolutely confident he'll make the team. I also think the organization is so invested in him that to not make the team he'd have to be so poor in camp they decided he's simply not ready. And I think he's played enough grown-up hockey in Russia that it seems unlikely.

Agreed on Shesty too.

I hear that and assumed that's where you are coming from given his play this year. I did not want to mention injury as something that could derail next year's plans for him with the Rangers, since that would be a jinx. Didn't matter. Whoops there it is. Does not look good, MRI.... ??

He's going to moonwalk onto this team bud.

I think this is a lot more likely if he plays 20-something games in Hartford this season.

Even if he doesn't need development, per se, he'll probably need some time to get used to time/space on NA ice.

I think this is a lot more likely if he plays 20-something games in Hartford this season.

Even if he doesn't need development, per se, he'll probably need some time to get used to time/space on NA ice.

Yeah, for that reason I’d rather he comes here and plays out the remainder of the season with the Pack rather than being traded to a KHL contender. Even though the quality of hockey will be worse.

Yeah, for that reason I’d rather he comes here and plays out the remainder of the season with the Pack rather than being traded to a KHL contender. Even though the quality of hockey will be worse.

The quality will be OK, since it's the AHL playoffs and the best of that league, but the adjustment to the ice is invaluable.

How is he going to play in the AHL playoffs? Are we loaning him or something? Wolfpack are awful, and will be even more awful once we have some holes to fill.

Oh, then WTF are we even bringing him over for? Forget it.

He can get used to smaller ice in camp and pre-season.

• 2 weeks later...
Vitali Kravtsov, C, New York Rangers

Kravtsov’s stock has risen a lot in the past 12 months. A late cut from this team last year, Kravtsov is set to open the tournament as the team’s No. 1 center. To Rangers fans whose eyebrows are raising at the “center” part, due to a lack of top-end talent at the position, Russia tried him out there in a November tournament and have rolled with it since. He’s highly skilled and smart, and scouts think he could be a center as a pro

Pronman U-20's preview.

• 4 weeks later...

Corey Pronman has Kravtsov as the 11th best NHL prospect in his midseason ranking.

11. Vitali Kravtsov, RW, New York Rangers

Kravtsov has been very impressive over the past 12 months in the KHL and international play. Kravtsov’s point totals haven’t been amazing this season in the KHL, but Chelyabinsk has a weak team. His game is defined by his skill. When Kravtsov has the puck, he’s looking to make something happen. He makes the flashy skill plays seem routine. His playmaking has also consistently impressed me this season. I wasn’t 100 percent on that aspect of his game going into the draft, but I think his vision is high-end now. His pace at times could be better, but he can skate fine when he gets going. The main thing with Kravtsov is improving his compete level. He can get lost on the perimeter and taken out of games physically.

• Like 1