• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Vitali Kravtsov in 1st Rd. (9th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

And I hope it improves.

Until then, Proceed with Caution!

With caution? The majority of the Rangers core of 'home-grown' players, during the stretch of 11 playoff appearances in 12 years, all came through Hartford. Hartford helped turn a bunch of mid round picks into a consistent cup contender. In the last 15 years the only top 20 picks to go through Hartford are Miller, Kreider, McIllrath, and Montoya. There hasn't been any high end skill for them to work with down there.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notable alumni

The following players have played both 100 games in Hartford and 100 games in the National Hockey League:

Artem Anisimov

Derek Armstrong

Nigel Dawes

Daniel Girardi

Jason LaBarbera

Lauri Korpikoski

J. T. Miller

Al Montoya

P. A. Parenteau

Corey Potter

Tom Pyatt

Wade Redden

Michael Sauer

P. J. Stock

Cam Talbot

Dale Weise

Craig Weller

-wiki

What is the point of this list?

With caution? The majority of the Rangers core of 'home-grown' players, during the stretch of 11 playoff appearances in 12 years, all came through Hartford. Hartford helped turn a bunch of mid round picks into a consistent cup contender. In the last 15 years the only top 20 picks to go through Hartford are Miller, Kreider, McIllrath, and Montoya. There hasn't been any high end skill for them to work with down there.

I posted earlier that I dont want guys down there too long. Hence why we have to get some up with the Rangers this season, so the crop next season isnt stuck down in Hartford for an extended period.

That's your list of successful players developed in Hartford over the last 20 years.

That list blows.

I posted earlier that I dont want guys down there too long. Hence why we have to get some up with the Rangers this season, so the crop next season isnt stuck down in Hartford for an extended period.

Well these two things contradict each other. The list is players that played more than 100 AHL games. The vast majority of talented, skillful players coming up through the AHL aren't going to play 100 games. And its hard to send talented, skillful players through your AHL team when you trade most of your 1st round picks.

no it doesnt

I post a listed of mostly crappy players - and said I dont want to repeat this or come close, in a response to you suggesting Hartford is a great place to put our talented prospects.

The one thing I’m not optimistic about is Hartford. I think Hartford is shit. And I don’t trust them in developing players.

These kids played 40ish games last season, and I don’t think playing 40 games plus practicing with the team for a majority of the season is bad, or not enough playing time.

We also have a ton of guys, and need to test them a bit to see what we got. My strategy is much more of a coddling approach (yuck) as opposed to a “throw them out there and see what we got”, but you need a little of both during development

Last year I said I was fine platooning Chytil and Andersson (ELC slide notwithstanding) for this exact reason. They'd both get 40-something games, and I'd rather them getting those games with the Rangers than I would the Pack.

no it doesnt

I post a listed of mostly crappy players - and said I dont want to repeat this or come close, in a response to you suggesting Hartford is a great place to put our talented prospects.

Yes you did because good players don't play 100 AHL games.

Chytil and Andersson are the only prospects that have significant AHL experience. Hajek, Lindgren, and Howden could play the whole year in Hartford and not come close to 100 games.

Yes you did because good players don't play 100 AHL games.

Chytil and Andersson are the only prospects that have significant AHL experience. Hajek, Lindgren, and Howden could play the whole year in Hartford and not come close to 100 games.

NOOOOO!!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!

Yep, and those two will have some expectations to make the club out of camp. The 3 others could (and as of now should) start in Hartford. We need a good AHL farm system and we have to believe the new coaches and Drury/Gorton will make it a good place to develop.

There is no reason, if they are deemed "ready" to not call them up. Maybe one before xmas and another around the deadline. That would be a good thing and slightly optimistic.

Future, giving Chytil and Andersson their 9 games was the best move. They weren't ready, the team was a shit show and we got another ELC year. How can you argue the contrary. Odd post by you.

Surely the true test of Hartford starts now as we finally have something close to a stacked farm system for the first time in a generation.

I’d agree the 100/100 list doesn’t tell us much. A better list would be players who have been through Hartford for a meaningful period of time, like a minimum of 20 games, and gone on to have solid NHL careers.

• 1 month later...
Couple of real good outings for Kravtsov at the start of Governor’s Cup. Such a difficult kid to stop when he plays with confidence because of his awareness and ability to find those dangerous areas in opposition end. Puck-handling and shot are a given. #NYR — Alex Nunn (@aj_ranger) August 15, 2018

Couple of real good outings for Kravtsov at the start of Governor’s Cup. Such a difficult kid to stop when he plays with confidence because of his awareness and ability to find those dangerous areas in opposition end. Puck-handling and shot are a given. #NYR — Alex Nunn (@aj_ranger) August 15, 2018

Highlight video put together by Alex from the Four Nations tourney.

Kravtsov won offensive player of the tournament with a goal and 3 assists in 3 games.

Thanks for posting. Kid looks fucking great out there. I had no idea who this kid was when we drafted him, but I'm loving what I'm seeing now.

Edit - just rewatched the PP shift. He generated like...4-5 scoring opportunities on one shift.

2:10 in the video.

Kravtsov has Zucc-like vision which is really impressive. More impressive though is his positioning on the ice to get access to open pucks and/or to repossess loose pucks. He's also got a willingness to go into corners (especially on a bigger ice surface) which makes me believe his game will translate to the NHL/AHL structure.

Overall, I'm thrilled by what I see here. Thanks!