• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ranger's Mock - Who Do You Like in the 1st and 2nd?

Giacomin

Here's a twist on Dude's thread. Mock our picks thru 48 assuming we keep the first 5 picks.

9. Wahlstrom - somehow we get lucky? Nah, all the forwards are too good to last.

Assume Smith, Kratsov, Bokk, Hayton, Farabee, Kupari, Denisenko, Veleno and Kaut are all gone.

26 & 28. 3 interesting good skating Dmen could be available. Take whoever is left.

K'Andre Miller USNTDP 6'3" 200 lbs LH fast, skilled, strong, fluid hard-nosed. top 4 with tons of upside

Bode Wilde USNTDP 6'250 198 lbs RH has all ingredients, good edges, possession skills who creates threats and physical on D

Rasmus Sandin OHL 5'11" 186 lbs LH skates the puck put of trouble at will, tough, skilled, doesn't really have a flaw

No forward at #9 means centers would be great. Too much value in these 3.

Ty Dellandrea OHL 6'0" 180 lbs scoring C, nice upside, solid D, had nobody in Flint, hard working and fast improving

Isaac Lundestrom SHL 6'0" 183 lbs all around C, pvery smart sweede game. Best of dude's picks.

Liam Foudy London OHL 6'0" 178 lbs C hoping to get at 39, but fast riser. Great athlete from family of athletes. Strong, fast, tenacious, had excellent second half, great attitude. Pressure speed player who can forecheck, cause havoc and score.

39. Nils Lundkvist 5'11" 172 lbs skilled 2 way RHD (would prefer Foudy here)

48. Jonny Tychonick 6'0" 177 lbs hard skating LHD. quick to the puck and likes to transition to O fast

Wahlstrom( USA right handed LW)Bokk(German 6’1” righthanded LW), Kraut (Finnish righthanded RW)in the 1st Rd

Lundkvist (RHD)& Kotkov (Russian 6’4” righthanded LW)in the 2nd Rd

Pekar (czech 6’0” righthanded RW)& Annunen ( G 6’4” Finland) in the 3rd.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This is just wishful thinking. Most likely neither one of the metioned players will be available for when we select. Especially in the first round. Would love to get either Bokk or Kaut at #26 tho.

Wahlstrom( USA right handed LW)Bokk(German 6’1” righthanded LW), Kraut (Finnish righthanded RW)in the 1st Rd

Lundkvist (RHD)& Kotkov (Russian 6’4” righthanded LW)in the 2nd Rd

Pekar (czech 6’0” righthanded RW)& Annunen ( G 6’4” Finland) in the 3rd.

Happy Draft Day!

Sup whiskers. You cheated. You were asked to assume Smith, Kratsov, Bokk, Hayton, Farabee, Kupari, Denisenko, Veleno and Kaut are all gone.

I like Bokk too, but beyond the top 10, taking those 9 off our board still leaves us discussing from Pick 20 on. More realistic and relevant to get a conversation going about guys we like with the other 4 picks.

Gotta admit, if we somehow get a forward at #9, I'd love one of the 3 Dmen at 26. Worried that they all go in the early 20's.

Gravesy, you'd really pick Merkley Hoffman over Miller, Wilde, Sandin and Lundkvist? Don't forget our bet. BTW, I've come around, I might take him at 70.

WOw, wow, wait I missed that part. Ok I change my selections to Evan Bouchard or Lunderstrom at 9( he?s the only forward left that you didn?t mention, then Matias Samuelsson (Kjells son) & k?Andre Miller or Jet Woo at 26 & 28.

How?s that, keep the 2nd and 3rd Rders.

And I think Pekar could be a steal in the 3rd

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ow, ow, wait I missed that part. Ok I change my selections to Evan Bouchard or Lunderstrom at 9( he’s the only forward left that you didn’t mention, then Matias Samuelsson (Kjells son) & k’Andre Miller or Jet Woo at 26 & 28.

How’s that, keep the 2nd and 3rd Rders.

And I think Pekar could be a steal in the 3rd

Me, You, Josh, Fatty, Kevin, AJ all want Miller. Guess that means no chance he'll make it that far. A bunch of us also like Sandin. Our next Stralman?

Samuelsson is interesting. Skating is OK, but there is a lot of other stuff to like. Would feel much better about him at 39, after some of the higher potential prospects are gone.

Been hearing Pekar will be a 2nd rounder. May not last till 70. What about Drury at 70 or better 88?

Where's Kevin, Blairbetts, drew, puckhead, etc. This is a big day we need more good opinions from Ranger fans.

Guys to look at for the end of the 1st would be Addison, Miller, Berggren, and Dellandrea. I like the idea of either or both of Tychonick or Woo in the second. Additionally, you have guys like Jake Wise, Jack Drury, and Filip Hallander. I like Adam Mascherin and Spencer Stastney for 3-4 round picks.

Guys to look at for the end of the 1st would be Addison, Miller, Berggren, and Dellandrea. I like the idea of either or both of Tychonick or Woo in the second. Additionally, you have guys like Jake Wise, Jack Drury, and Filip Hallander. I like Adam Mascherin and Spencer Stastney for 3-4 round picks.

Add you to the Miller bandwagon. The kid got better and better, lots of potential. Dellandrea too. A few guys I respect really like Addison.

Hallander was thought of as a smaller player and he came to the combine 2.5" bigger and 25 lbs heavier than his listed measurements. WTF?! He'd be a steal at 70, at this point.

Hughes/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi/Kravtsov

Kaut/Sandin/Miller

Eriksson/Merkley/Ranta

Kravtsov over Hughes? Dobson? Curious.

Like your choices at 26. Are you saying Kaut slips cause of the heart thing at the combine? I thought so, but it turns out he may have had unnecessary surgery, and his doctor says he is fixed regardless. No risk of further issues, so that's why I had him gone before 20.

Kravtsov over Hughes? Dobson? Curious.

Like your choices at 26. Are you saying Kaut slips cause of the heart thing at the combine? I thought so, but it turns out he may have had unnecessary surgery, and his doctor says he is fixed regardless. No risk of further issues, so that's why I had him gone before 20.

no.

I dont really want a defenseman, here. If its those 4 available, with all your Bouchards, Dobsons, et al taken, I'd probably take Hughes. I'd be more excited to see Hughes fall to 9 then Tkachuk.

i listed it like this -

probably goes higher/probably available/off the board a bit

I'm down for Jet Woo at 39, then Jonny Tychonick at 48.

At least those guys sound like hockey players. 31 is all about Jet Woo. He thinks it a new scripted play off the faceoff.

Damn straight. I can hear Sam now: “Woo woo woo! Jett Woo!”

If Boqvist didn't have the concussions he's top 5. His wrister is something to behold. Many say better shot than Wahlstrom or Zadina. His tourney play was dominant E. Karlsson like. Skating, stick handling are elite.

Nah josh, they don't say that about Spurgeon and Hughes will be much better.

Now Miller is a converted power forward. BSB compared him to Brett Burns and ranked him 30. The kids there say 2nd rounder. They are off. Doubt he makes it to 26.

Gravesy, you'd really pick Merkley Hoffman over Miller, Wilde, Sandin and Lundkvist? Don't forget our bet. BTW, I've come around, I might take him at 70.

From Mitch Brown's tracking analysis. https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/06/20/brown-the-best-draft-eligible-defencemen-in-five-categories-tracked-by-the-chl-data-tracking-project/

Since​ releasing the CHL​ Data Tracking​ Project​ nearly​ three weeks​ ago, I’ve been​ pleasantly surprised​ by the​ work people​​ have done with it.

One of its original goals was to devise a way to compare junior-level defencemen. So, with the draft just days away, I figured it was time to take a look at the best defencemen the CHL and USNTDP have to offer according to the data.

The CHL Data Tracking Project includes 34 first-time draft eligible defencemen, notably high-end prospects like Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Ty Smith, Ryan Merkley and Calen Addison.

Playmaking

This draft class not only has some big-time shooters, but high-end playmakers too. Ryan Merkley is the obvious one, but Evan Bouchard, Alexander Alexeyev, Nicolas Beaudin, and Calen Addison all stand out as well.

The first way to look at playmaking ability is shot assists, which is, as the name suggests, a pass that creates a shot attempt. The second way of looking at playmaking ability is by scoring chance assists, which is a pass that finds a target in a scoring location who then shoots. At this level of hockey, I’ve found this to be a more meaningful way to evaluate playmaking ability than shot assists. The leader in both shot assists and scoring chance assists was Ryan Merkley, a top-five talent in the draft class who could slip out of the first round. Let’s ignore the defensive acumen (or lack thereof), attitude, and inconsistent effort for a moment. Merkley is a truly elite playmaker from the back end. His gap at the top of the scoring chance assists category was around three per 60 ahead of K’Andre Miller in second place. Making this even more impressive is the variety of ways that Merkley records them. There’s the cross-slot saucer passes, the fake-shot passes, and literally shooting the puck off a teammate’s stick for a shot.

Exits

I mainly use three metrics to evaluate controlled exit ability: controlled exit percentage (percentage of exits with control), controlled exits per 60, and controlled exit success rate. However, controlled exit success rate uses the smallest portion of the already rather limited sample, and therefore, a single game can move a player from average to the fringes. Therefore, we’ll focus on controlled exit percentage and controlled exits per 60.

There are three players who rank in the top-six in both controlled exits per 60 and controlled exit percentage – Ryan Merkley, Nicolas Beaudin, and Jett Woo – and those three form a closely ranked tier if you average out both categories.

As discussed earlier, Merkley is a truly special playmaker. He finds lanes that no other player in the draft class will find. He’s also incredibly patient and not afraid to move laterally or back into his own zone to reset and look for a better option.

Entries

I use the same metrics to measure controlled entry ability. The important consideration here is that defencemen attempt zone entries far less often than they attempt zone exits, and therefore there’s more noise in these numbers than in controlled exits. Unsurprisingly, it’s Ty Smith who leads the way in controlled entry percentage, meaning no one attempts to gain the offensive zone with control more often. As discussed earlier, he excels at turning those entries into scoring chances. However, the leader in controlled entries per 60 is the ultra-skilled and ultra-aggressive Merkley. The usual suspects like Bouchard, Dobson, and Smith also check out well here.

In short, yes I fucking would. Far too much talent to pass up on at that point.

With the fairly significant caveat that Quinn has to feel he can work with the boy.

Boqvist I can understand. What don't you like about Hughes that doesn't relate to his size?

He's a defenceman, so size is important. Defending is important.

I'm sure he'll be fine in five years, not going to get much value out of that, though. By the time he's proficient, he'll be expensive. You can squeeze way more value from forwards imo.

Any chance Merkley drops to pick 39?

Possibly. I think he goes in the 2nd. Gravesy is betting he goes in the 1st.

Super talented ahole. But he is a kid and I have no idea if he is salvageable (can grow past his problems) or a poison.

Archived