• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: "I don't see Rangers chasing big names"

Phil

I'm on board. Stay the course this year. All I want to see is inspired play. Give the kids a year to develop, let them play through mistakes. One more deadline sell off, leading to another draft with a ton of picks. In a perfect world we can get a 2019 1st, before the season starts, from a team that ends up missing the playoffs. See what happens in next years lottery. Next year's Free Agent class, if they don't all resign before then, has a lot of big name potential.

:clap:

Gorton, Drury, Quinn and staff are taking over slowly but surely. Sather doesn't have the energy to do the heavy lifting or legwork anymore.

Edit: not that he did much of it anyway, but was able to be in the middle of everything.

My only worry is that we’re going to be incredibly shit next season. That might be good in terms of another draft in good position but I can’t shake the feeling it might not be the greatest thing for the young players and an inexperienced coach.

My only worry is that we’re going to be incredibly shit next season. That might be good in terms of another draft in good position but I can’t shake the feeling it might not be the greatest thing for the young players and an inexperienced coach.

Don't need big names or big contracts to be good. If they can build a strong culture, that'll be more important than a strong team. There's no doubt in my mind they're going to try to be good next year. I think they'll make some surprising trades -- just not for the mega stars of the league.

That said, one more strong draft wouldn't hurt, especially one with Jack Hughes in it.

My only worry is that we?re going to be incredibly shit next season. That might be good in terms of another draft in good position but I can?t shake the feeling it might not be the greatest thing for the young players and an inexperienced coach.

Hard work goes a long way. See: Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The only one who would make sense to go after is Tavares, but I also don't see him signing here. Tavares is the only guy available that makes the team better for some time and would still be good when a young team is ready to challenge for the cup.

As long as the focus is on working hard and improving game after game, they'll be fine. The issues arise when the players make the same mistakes over and over again and they settle for mediocrity. If the goal of the season is to develop the young core, we hold the players accountable, and demand to see effort and progress, then again they'll be fine.

I think the Rangers have plenty of players who could take another step forward, with plenty of potential to surprise. I just wouldn't hold my breath on it.

With that said, if this really is the direction, they should leverage their picks and expendable assets to move up in the draft.

Hard work goes a long way. See: Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vegas have:

Leadership

Goal scorers

Solid D

Plenty of grit

A couple of experienced heads younger players can learn from

We have basically nothing of the sort. Although I guess it’s fair to say there were questions about whether that Vegas roster had all of those ingredients before the season started.

I don’t want to be overly negative, and I agree there is some room for improvement and guys that can step up, but as it stands I can see this roster being on the end of a shoeing most nights.

https://theathletic.com/398374/2018/06/20/nhl-power-rankings-winning-the-cup-isnt-enough-to-earn-no-1-spot/

The Athletic has the Rangers at 25 in their post season power ranking. I think that’s about right. If the Rangers want to be in any way competitive they’ll need to add some quality and experience imo.

But it’s not necessarily wrong to go young for a year and build slowly, although I’m not entirely sold on it.

Makes sense to me. Compile as much talent as possible, see what develops then acquire from strength to improve weakness. Every rebuild even successful ones come with pain. It’s unavoidable. Hopefully the rangers rebuild doesn’t turn into a decade thing but a two or three year thing. That’s the realistic hope. It’s hard to admit that being in its infancy but contending is years away. Embrace it and enjoy the development. The rangers will be big game hunting soon enough.

Archived