• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Gearing Up to Trade Wayne Simmonds?

Phil

Multiple sources tell me the Flyers are gearing to potentially trade Wayne Simmonds. He?s a year from free agency and coming off a 24-goal, injury-hindered season. He scored 120 goals the four seasons before that, is big, is tough (the guy caved in Wild winger Eric Nystrom?s face once during a fight as a King), is a leader. He?s a right-shot wing and makes a reasonable $5 million with an even more reasonable $3.975 million cap hit. He has a 12-team no-trade clause, per capfriendly.com.

https://theathletic.com/398206/2018/06/19/wild-trade-partners-paul-fenton-anaheim-buffalo-carolina-montreal-philadelphia-tampa-bay/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

;931359]All-Phil-Team!

No way he's coming here, and no way we go after him, right?

I love Simmonds, I just don't think it's the right fit right now.

:rofl:

He's not right for the Rangers right now. It just sucks to see players I love all being made available in the first year of a rebuild.

There's someone in every thread saying "Rangers should be in on this guy!" No. No they shouldn't.

LOL, was just thinking the same thing. The guys we need are not high priced, plus high trade cost and/or older, or another team's problem.

One exception might be an RFA like Athanasiou who Detroit has had rough negotiation with last year and may be amenable to a move, since they have to negotiate again. They certainly don't need draft choices. I wonder if Vesey would interest them. Or a C like Names, if they want to add a pick. Could be a win-win, we could use that speed and he's just 23.

Age and cost of acquisition. By the time the Rangers are conceivably contending again, his prime will be gone.

Perhaps.

But he’d be good around the dressing room and would help the younger guys on and off the ice. We need someone to make us at least a little bit competitive this season. And, as a player, he ticks a lot of boxes. I think he’s a good fit. It all comes down to the asking price.

He’s certainly not “trash” ffs.

Perhaps.

But he’d be good around the dressing room and would help the younger guys on and off the ice. We need someone to make us at least a little bit competitive this season. And, as a player, he ticks a lot of boxes. I think he’s a good fit. It all comes down to the asking price.

He’s certainly not “trash” ffs.

There is no upside, he's 29 and a UFA at the end of the year. We'd have to give up a decent asset or two for someone we'd never re-sign. Why help Philly who wants to deal him by bidding up his value. And ultimately giving them something of value for nothing.

I don't disagree. But the Rangers are really in no position to be entertaining him. He's a final piece trade, not a rebuild: year one kind.

If anything, the Rangers should be asking about the Flyers giving up a pick or one of their D prospects to take on MacDonald.

I don't disagree. But the Rangers are really in no position to be entertaining him. He's a final piece trade, not a rebuild: year one kind.

Yeah I get that. My point isn't really that we have to trade for Wayne Simmonds. My point is that, as a player, he is exactly what this team needs right now. And I think we have to apply a certain degree of pragmatism and short termism to this rebuild. Because if you look at the current Rangers roster it is absolutely shit. One of the worst in the entire league in my estimation. It has no leaders, no "been there, done that" type of guys the young players can learn from, literally no one who plays with grit and a severe lack of physicality, not a single high end goalscorer and I could go on.

So really, as it stands, for this roster to get anywhere near competitive the Rangers need a couple of guys like Simmonds. Veteran guys who can play at a high level and guys that can lead a very young team.

Of course it comes down to cost of acquisition. I'm not at all saying we should hand over key prospects and high end picks up to get these guys.

But I do think it's necessary to step away from the idea that we categorically do not go after players at a certain age and profile, even if they don't fit the blueprint for a first year rebuild player.

Imo the alternative is to send out a roster that will be on the receiving end of a rogering most nights. And I'm not convinced that's a great way to develop our prospects.

Out of interest, what do you think the Flyers would ask for?

Gravesy, it is not that they shouldn't add a player over a certain age, it's trading assets for a player you are not going to build with and is only going to have 1 year on the team. Ask yourself, why would the Flyers who plan on making the playoffs, want to trade him so badly?

I'd rather use the few assets that have some value to acquire someone who we could envision being just as good or better for us in 3-4 years. Additionally, we are trying to find talent on the upswing. It means we are going to have a few swings and misses, a few that live up to expectations and a few surprises. The more chances we take on upside youth the bigger our talent pool. Now is the time to go all-in with picks, prospects and asset accumulation. Think Cheveldayoff, only faster.

Hard to be interested a lame duck. Build some chemistry around the youth. Contracts matter. Pending UFAs can't be built around and are not worth trading for. There are other high character physical NHLers mgmt can spend time pursuing.

Right. I was making a wider point, not really saying we should go after Simmonds in particular. It probably doesn’t belong in this thread to be fair, but Simmonds is exactly the type of player this organisation needs a couple of imo. I.e experienced, leadership qualities, can play a bit and puts up points, plays hard, someone the kids can learn from. That’s why, as a player, I think he’s a good fit. I’m obviously not advocating giving up a top prospect and a pick for him.

Yeah I get that. My point isn't really that we have to trade for Wayne Simmonds. My point is that, as a player, he is exactly what this team needs right now. And I think we have to apply a certain degree of pragmatism and short termism to this rebuild. Because if you look at the current Rangers roster it is absolutely shit. One of the worst in the entire league in my estimation. It has no leaders, no "been there, done that" type of guys the young players can learn from, literally no one who plays with grit and a severe lack of physicality, not a single high end goalscorer and I could go on.

So really, as it stands, for this roster to get anywhere near competitive the Rangers need a couple of guys like Simmonds. Veteran guys who can play at a high level and guys that can lead a very young team.

Of course it comes down to cost of acquisition. I'm not at all saying we should hand over key prospects and high end picks up to get these guys.

But I do think it's necessary to step away from the idea that we categorically do not go after players at a certain age and profile, even if they don't fit the blueprint for a first year rebuild player.

Imo the alternative is to send out a roster that will be on the receiving end of a rogering most nights. And I'm not convinced that's a great way to develop our prospects.

A first-round pick, a cost-controlled roster player, and a top prospect. So Buch, 28, DeAngelo. Or maybe Vesey, 26, and Day. Something like that.

On paper. Prior to what we know this season brought both teams. Stack the current roster with Las Vegas'.

With a good coach, this roster isn't absolute shit, as you would expect a rebuilding team to be. Sure they lack a true scorer, and the D is a mess. Add the right players from free agency, and I think this team can be right there on the outside looking in. Definitely not a lottery team. Lots of things need to go right though.

You'd trade Buch, 28, DeAngelo for 1 year of Wayne? Hell, substitute Lias for D'Angelo and that package gets Panarin. Then, we'd have to sign him too and he wants to "experience" free agency.

How about this dude? We continue to work on the rebuild, load up on youth, take shots at greatness and add solid prospects. Give it a year for everything to shake out under a new coach. Some vets flourish, others get traded and all the kids get another full year. Then we sign Panarin as a FA next year, keeping all our assets.

Plus we'll have good picks and extra picks (deadline trades + Tampa) to complete the load up in a good looking 2019 draft.

I would not trade Buch for Simmonds straight up. That's insane for where this team is at right now. If he was 3 years younger, Panarin's age, yeah I could see going for it. Not now.

With that said, this is probably around the value Philly is looking for. Just wouldn't want to pay it.

I would not trade Buch for Simmonds straight up. That's insane for where this team is at right now. If he was 3 years younger, Panarin's age, yeah I could see going for it. Not now.

With that said, this is probably around the value Philly is looking for. Just wouldn't want to pay it.

i think simmonds is worth more than Buch , but like other posters have said , wrong time to acquire a player like him , for obvious reasons

Archived