• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz Stepping Down as Coach of Capitals

Phil

Apparently he told Tortorella that he wasnt coming back when they did the handshake after the Caps eliminated the BJs

https://novacapsfans.com/2018/04/27/did-barry-trotz-say-im-not-coming-back/

The theory is that after the Capitals won Game 6 of their first round series against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Trotz told Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella, ?I?m gone. I?m gone. I?m not coming back. I?m gone.?

Seems like everything is falling in the Islanders lap this off season, Lou got an out of Toronto, Isles sign him, which leads to most likely Tavares staying, and now possibly Trotz taking the Isles job.

Can?t even be mad.. that team hasn?t had anything go their way in decades. Rivalry isn?t even fun anymore because they?re such a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Can?t even be mad.. that team hasn?t had anything go their way in decades. Rivalry isn?t even fun anymore because they?re such a joke.

Haven't they beatun us multiple times in Nassau/Brooklyn the past couple of years? They've been good enough against us to piss me off haha.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Haven't they beatun us multiple times in Nassau/Brooklyn the past couple of years? They've been good enough against us to piss me off haha.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They have but in the end which organization would you rather be a fan of? I used to look forward to islander games, now they?re no more interesting than playing the hurricanes.

How annoying. A month ago it looked like Snow, Weight, and No Tavares. Now it's Lamoriello, Trotz and Tavares. Don't like it. If the Islanders have one-tenth the defensive discipline that the Caps had in the playoffs, they will be very much improved.

Like I said in the other thread, he probably didn’t care for how they remained uncommitted until he won them the cup.

Remember you said something like that some days ago, nice call!

Huge desicion from Trotz here, but I like it. He's won everything with the Caps now anyway, so not much reason to stick around. Especially if the contract was bad.

I mean it's understandable from the Caps POV; at the end of the day this is a guy that has consistently failed to deliver in the playoffs with a very, very good team. I don't think anyone, the Caps included, expected him to win the cup this year. And if they fell to the Jackets or Pens no one would bat an eyelid when he was let go.

Obviously this one came back and bit them hard, but you can certainly understand why they weren't waving a big, fat contract renewal in his face last summer. Or in April for that matter.

Nick Kypreos

Verified account

@RealKyper

12h12 hours ago

More

Surprising no negotiations on a new contract ever took place between Barry Trotz and Caps since theIr championship. Trotz had a clause to extend his old deal by 2 years with a minimal bump if he won the Stanley Cup. He declined, choosing to exercise a resignation clause instead.

Interesting.

Trotz leaves as coach of Capitals

Guided Washington to Stanley Cup for first time since team entered NHL in 1974

When Trotz, 55, signed the four-year contract, the two sides agreed on a clause that if Washington won the Stanley Cup at any point during the term of the contract, an additional two years, with increased salary, would be added and would take effect after they won the Cup.

"Our discussions with his representative centered around that (clause) and what he was looking to accomplish through negotiations," MacLellan said. "So we had several discussions on what they were looking for and about the existing contract, and we weren't able to come to an agreement."

Trotz went 205-89-34 with the Capitals and won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's best coach in 2015-16. Washington reached the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of his four seasons and finished first in the Metropolitan Division each of the past three.

https://www.nhl.com/news/barry-trotz-resigns-as-washington-capitals-coach/c-299101550

And that's the gist of it folks. As usual I provide the facts - not conjecture.

Go Rangers!!

Archived