• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hayes "Attracting Significant Interest" Ahead of Draft

Phil

Chances are that if the Rangers make a substantial move leading into Friday?s first round of the entry draft in Dallas, it will involve Kevin Hayes. Multiple sources report the 26-year-old impending Group II free-agent center has attracted significant interest from around the league as general manager Jeff Gorton sifts through various scenarios both connected to and independent of improving the club?s ninth-overall position.

The Rangers don?t seem keen on including Hayes in a deal to move up a few spots in the first round. The inference is that if he?s moved, it would be as the centerpiece as a deal to add a righty defenseman. Winnipeg?s Jacob Trouba seems out of reach, but the Flames could be make for an interesting match. There seems to be little interest in dealing for Dougie Hamilton, but, and we have made this point before, the Blueshirts might be able to get Adam Fox, the Harvard defenseman who paired with lefty prospect Ryan Lindgren for Team USA at the past two World Junior tournaments.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/inside-the-rangers-makeover-mindset-with-nhl-draft-at-hand/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except Zibanejad. And Spooner or Namestnikov – one of whom would likely be kept short-term. But it would speak volumes of the orgs belief in Chytil and Andersson to give them this kind of do or die runway.

None as Rangers, though.

You listed a bunch of guys that get stuck at C when there’s no one else. Stats prove it, too. None are close to producing more than an average 3rd line C at even strength

Yeah, that's not true. Zibanejad produces as a 1C. As a Ranger. Spooner and Namestnikov are both natural centers who can play wing as needed. That's valuable in a rebuild where the need to flex the roster from time to time can rise and fall like the tide.

And who do you want drawing defensive assignments? Or killing penalties?

I’m against throwing the kids to the wolves, if we are going though a rebuild

Absolutely, for the development of other players.

I would rather let Quinn coach up players than have them ask Hayes to be some kind of mentor.

I would rather see Chytil and Andersson get the playing time and see what they are made of. Hayes isnt worth blocking time for those guys with the direction the team has chosen, especially considering we can probably get a solid return.

Thanks, here is some more from the recent thread I started

Target #1 Calgary (RHD), needs wingers, centers and draft picks this year and next. The Rangers should go after the one they like best.

Rasmus Andersson (9G 30A in 56 AHL) is 21 and very ready. Solid hard working Swede, who is strong and gritty. Smart and tough defensively, but also showed an aggressive offensive attack last year. Quick and strong on his skates.

Adam Fox - The actual target. Quick, smart, great puck distributor, accurate shot, moves the puck out of the zone. Two excellent years at Harvard, good tournaments and averages over a point per game. Unsigned 3rd rounder who may be had cheap. They recoop their 3rd and get a second for their troubles.

Later in the thread:

However, I'm convinced all roads start with Calgary.

Fox should be the ultimate target since he may not sign at all with Calgary and they'll lose him for nothing in 2 years.

Calgary wants a right winger. They also have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Bad situation next year too. I suggest a 2nd and 3rd. We could use Tampa's pick next year. Zuc alone would do it, but that's not cheap. We want a discount since he is unsigned.

Who else has these D prospects and needs forwards and picks besides Calgary? We could use top 50 prospect who is not 18 but 20 or 21 and less than a year away.

OK now that the esteemable NY Post mentions it, maybe we can talk about adding a young, potential top 4 dman, beyond just adding 18 y/o's at the draft.

The way to do this is to match needs and surpluses. We have the middle six forwards and good picks a team could select from. Calgary has those needs and a surplus of young dmen I like, if they are sticking with Hamilton. They have 2 RHDs we should target, plus the lefty Kylington, stuck behind Valamaki.

Now Brooks writes, "there is little interest in acquiring Dougie, but, and we have made a point of this before, the Blueshirts might be able to get Fox".

He's talked to the Rangers about this? Did he talk to someone about Fox or acquiring any young dmen? Or about any deal with Calgary? Ugh his reporting.

Be nice to know if he is talking sources or just assuming and reading our threads. He does the same with Zuc saying, "expect to report to camp". Well of course!!! All the vets should be expecting to report to camp until they are traded or asked for their NTC list.

He does the same with Cali, no real reporting. But he also has no thesis. Why would we take on that salary, what is our return? How is it in our interest? Where did this come from?

Back to the issue at hand. Besides Calgary, are there any other possible matches. Maybe the Jets? Trouba, Morrissey or one of the kids.

Very small chance with Nashville, they'll hold on to Fabbro. Boston? Carolina has Slavin, Pesce, Bean, and other prospects. Colorado has a few guys.

Florida and St Louis have forwards and forward prospects could explore, if we are looking beyond Dmen.

Brooks has many excellent insights, but the talk of Callahan, I think by Brooks's own admission, is just wishful thinking and not based on any scoops. Wouldn't it be the height of irony if the Rangers ended up with the last to years of that contract when they were not ready to sign him to it to begin with. As for his comments about Haglin, again that's wishful thinking on his part, but given that we have the space, that's a contract I would take. I'd love to see Haglin and Grabner on the same squad.

I share the feelings of those posters who believe we are too short on PROVEN centers to trade Hayes, just when his game is really coming around. On this one, however, I think Larry has some information, and the Rangers must be shopping him.

And who do you want drawing defensive assignments? Or killing penalties?

I’m against throwing the kids to the wolves, if we are going though a rebuild

Do we really want Hayes as the 2nd line center? His role is better suited as a third liner with defensive responsibility. Unless people are expecting Quinn to get him to turn the corner.

Keeping Hayes as the 3rd line center kinda blocks the spot that should be slotted for one of Andersson or Chytil.

I'm really no fan of keeping Namestnikov, but I'd rather see his skillset on the 2nd line over Hayes. I just feel his offensive ceiling is higher. Then again maybe he's better on the wing. There's also Spooner, whom I value more than both Hayes and Namestnikov.

You'd think Quinn would like to keep Hayes though. Since he's preaching puck possession and defense. Things I'm not sure Spooner or Namestnikov can be relied on for.

I'm guessing here but they are probably trying to deal two of these three, since all three don't seem to be long term pieces past this coming mid season, when I'd expect at least one of Andersson, Chytil, or Howden to be a part of the regular roster as centers.

I honestly hope they trade everyone but I hope they trade Hayes the most.

PM your address. I’ll pick you up on my way to pack his gear. You can help me tie Vesey up and stuff him in Hayes’ bag. I’ll pay the $30 for the extra weight.

Everyone can be had for the right price, that?s what I get for his article. Because you guys are right it?s all vague. Fox, I think can be had for the 3rd Rd pick they used to draft him nothing more?because again as what was mentioned before he?s unsigned and they could lose him for nothing at all.

I can see the argument for trading Hayes if we are looking at Zibanejad, Chytil, Andersson, Howden or Nieves down the middle. But should a Kotkaniemi, Veleno or Hayton fall to us, it?s yet another center to add to the list?keep in mind Quinn loves to play all 4 lines no matter what the situation is.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Everyone can be had for the right price, that?s what I get for his article. Because you guys are right it?s all vague. Fox, I think can be had for the 3rd Rd pick they used to draft him nothing more?because again as what was mentioned before he?s unsigned and they could lose him for nothing at all.

I can see the argument for trading Hayes if we are looking at Zibanejad, Chytil, Andersson, Howden or Nieves down the middle. But should a Kotkaniemi, Veleno or Hayton fall to us, it?s yet another center to add to the list?keep in mind Quinn loves to play all 4 lines no matter what the situation is.

The thing about our C's is a little overstated. If we are to stay realistic instead of optimistic Howden should spend at least a few months in Hartford. If he is excelling, then by all means bring him up.

Spooner is really not a C. He is a winger who can win faceoffs and is more comfortable there. Spoon and Names could be traded too.

Nieves is hardly a prospect anymore and should not be figured into the plans. He'd have to really surprise.

Chytil or Lias could easily play wing as rookies. It may benefit Chytil to not have the D worries as he adjusts to a middle six role. We need to let the lines shake out under Quinnn, before declaring excesses.

Hayes should only be traded for a significant return. He has a lot more value than Zuc, Spoon, Names or Vesey. No reason to ship him at a discount, none.

Of course, we?re talking about dealing at the right time when teams are desperately seeking to fill out their roster. Now and the trade deadline are the prime times to make trades. I?m not giving anyone any discounts at this point in time. You have to wow me, or like you said i?ll start the season with Hayes and wait till the trade deadline to deal him, him and anyone/everyone else on the roster.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The thing about our C's is a little overstated. If we are to stay realistic instead of optimistic Howden should spend at least a few months in Hartford. If he is excelling, then by all means bring him up.

Spooner is really not a C. He is a winger who can win faceoffs and is more comfortable there. Spoon and Names could be traded too.

Nieves is hardly a prospect anymore and should not be figured into the plans. He'd have to really surprise.

Chytil or Lias could easily play wing as rookies. It may benefit Chytil to not have the D worries as he adjusts to a middle six role. We need to let the lines shake out under Quinnn, before declaring excesses.

Hayes should only be traded for a significant return. He has a lot more value than Zuc, Spoon, Names or Vesey. No reason to ship him at a discount, none.

Why? He’s 26 and has never eclipsed 50 points. What part of his game makes you think he’ll get a significant return? Zucc is by far the most valuable piece on that list.

Hayes is just too inconsistent. One week he plays well, the next he looks like he's playing drunk with cinder blocks on his skates. I also hate how he never finishes his checks or hits anyone. If they're going to move him this is THE time to do it. With the Quinn connection I think he'll most likely stay.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived