• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BSBH Draft Rankings #7

josh

Best Option for the Rangers  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Best Option for the Rangers

• Noah Dobson
    • Adam Boqvist
    • Jesperi Kotkaniemi
    • Evan Bouchard
    • Barrett Hayton
    • Ty Smith
    • Joseph Veleno
    • Trade Up (Wahlstrom)
    • Trade Down
    • Other

Welcome to the BSBH Pre-Draft War Room

Rank the players, in order, in which we would want the Rangers to select.

The Rangers currently hold the 9th overall pick in the draft. Who should they take with the pick of the guys that might be available when its time to make their selection.

You want BPA? You think they should take a risk? Think they should trade the pick?

- Trade up and Trade down may only be selected once.

- Any trade up must be realistic

Trade Up Option: The trade up option is to be used when trading up in the draft (for a player we've already selected) is a better option than the players currently available to pick.

Trade Down Option: When the Rangers may benefit from trading down (realistically) to get multiple picks/prospects rather than selecting an option available.

1.) Rasmus Dahlin (47%)

2.) Andrei Svechnikov (44%)

3.) Filip Zadina (70%)

4.) Brady Tkachuk (56%)

5.) Quinton Hughes (30%)

6.) Oliver Wahlstrom (45%)

Some links to Prospect information:

NHL.com Mock Draft - includes insight on prospects

NHL.com Prospect Rankings

Draft Analysis Prospect Profiles

Quinn Hughes getting love:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/z75dnus48r4g1gfsgqzv3rpl5

?He was just tremendous defensively in that game,? Wroblewski said of Hughes. ?I mean, he?s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.?

About six weeks later, the NTDP squad took on the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL. Across the ice was fellow 2018 top draft prospect Andrei Svechnikov.

?You had already seen flashes of it, but he was just dominant that game,? Wroblewski said. ?It was the time I?d seen him really just beat the entire opposition.?

One play in particular stood out. Hughes collected the puck in his own end, and began to go coast-to-coast. He blew past one player, and then a second. By the time he reached and gained the offensive blue line, Hughes was in full gallop. As he ascended in on goal, Hughes found his defensive partner Phil Kempe undetected on the back side, and slid him the puck for an easy goal.

?He just gave us this dynamic and threw a blueprint out the door in regard to how offensive zone play is normally dictated,? Wroblewski said. ?He just has that ability to transcend, and really just think on the fly. It?s truly impressive to watch.?

I also have a hankering for Wahlstrom, too, Kotkaniemi, and Barrett Hayton, and an elite level offensive defenseman who is also capable in his own end. Want my cake and eat it, too.

Quinn Hughes getting love:

I also have a hankering for Wahlstrom, too, Kotkaniemi, and Barrett Hayton, and an elite level offensive defenseman who is also capable in his own end. Want my cake and eat it, too.

Thanks Blue. Would like to hear Quinn's thoughts on Hughes. He faced him in the playoffs (Hughes was good) and has familiarity. Then again, best just keep quiet. Hopefully he is the top rated Dman on our board, after Dahlin. Huge upside. If size is the only concern then he should be our top D target.

One big difference between AV and Quinn is not discouraging Dmen from rushing the puck out of trouble or even to just press the attack. AV was so dogmatic about that quick first and second pass north that teams adjusted. If you can only play one or two ways, it will be keyed-on and countered at this level. It is only exacerbated in a playoff series when the competition is that much better and it's a 7 game series.

It took forever for AV to even loosen the reins a little on a guy like Yandle, who can go coast to coast when the D over commits. Hughes can rush or make the pass. Under Quinn he will be encouraged to use all his tools. Rather than stifling our Offensive Dmen's creativity, I look forward to Quinn focussing on improving their defensive skills, decisions and structure.

Thanks Blue. Would like to hear Quinn's thoughts on Hughes. He faced him in the playoffs (Hughes was good) and has familiarity. Then again, best just keep quiet. Hopefully he is the top rated Dman on our board, after Dahlin. Huge upside. If size is the only concern then he should be our top D target.

One big difference between AV and Quinn is not discouraging Dmen from rushing the puck out of trouble or even to just press the attack. AV was so dogmatic about that quick first and second pass north that teams adjusted. If you can only play one or two ways, it will be keyed-on and countered at this level. It is only exacerbated in a playoff series when the competition is that much better and it's a 7 game series.

It took forever for AV to even loosen the reins a little on a guy like Yandle, who can go coast to coast when the D over commits. Hughes can rush or make the pass. Under Quinn he will be encouraged to use all his tools. Rather than stifling our Offensive Dmen's creativity, I look forward to Quinn focussing on improving their defensive skills, decisions and structure.

That's my hope, too, What you referred to was one of the aspects of AV that frustrated the living pish out of me. I was especially frustrating as in his first two seasons here, creativity eventually blossomed. But to be fair, we had plenty enough players — forwards and Defense — who managed more than their share of boneheaded plays — all in coincidental timing with Hank's goaltending meltdowns. (I hope he can get his head on straight and not overreact this year; his body language when play unraveled still haunts me — because we're going to see young D-men and forwards learn and make mistakes).

After watching the SCF's I'm under no illusions about how far out of contention this team may have fallen, and how far it needs to go to contend again — a very very long way. But I hope creativity is not snuffed out in favor of restrictive playing parameters. The best teams do adjust to exploit any weakness, whether tactical or physical.

That's my hope, too, What you referred to was one of the aspects of AV that frustrated the living pish out of me. I was especially frustrating as in his first two seasons here, creativity eventually blossomed. But to be fair, we had plenty enough players — forwards and Defense — who managed more than their share of boneheaded plays — all in coincidental timing with Hank's goaltending meltdowns. (I hope he can get his head on straight and not overreact this year; his body language when play unraveled still haunts me — because we're going to see young D-men and forwards learn and make mistakes).

After watching the SCF's I'm under no illusions about how far out of contention this team may have fallen, and how far it needs to go to contend again — a very very long way. But I hope creativity is not snuffed out in favor of restrictive playing parameters. The best teams do adjust to exploit any weakness, whether tactical or physical.

Yes, but specifically discouraging good skating, skillful Dmen from rushing the puck from our own end.

Sure, the puck moves north faster than skates, if I may butcher a phrase. AV is right, it is usually faster to transition to O with the pass. Yet, the effectiveness of the end goal (which isn't a faster transition, but getting out of the zone and transitioning to a meaningful attack) is compromised when teams can key into heavy tendencies.

We are in luck though. Our new coach values possession more and is less a stickler about how quickly a dman transitions and is more interested in how well he plays positionally and with his stick.

When Quinn talks about offense he seems more situational about all aspects of the attack. Even entering the zone he is pretty clear that keeping possession is optimum, but don't be afraid to dump the puck in and go after it, often. Quinn sees today's young, fast, small and skilled defenseman (like Hughes) and knows he needs to let them skate with the puck much more often. Like AV he says, in today's game your defensemen have to join, if you want to score enough. Yet, he doesn't say their is only one right way to play.

Overall, Quinn seems more inclined to welcome all styles of offense and is probably a little more coachy about structure and fundamentals, defensively.

Archived