Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: 2018 NHL Entry Draft – Movin' On Up into the Top-Five – Live Discussion

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    What are you talking about? There were no "obvious ones". There was no standard ranking of any players from 3-15. Teams, experts, and scouts had guys all over the place. If you dont believe me, you can look at the draft results.
    This.
    Bob McKenzie was in the Twilight Zone by pick 5. Literally nothing was happening in line with his board.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    The draft is a crapshoot. We don't know what Kravtsov would've done if he played in juniors. Let's wait to see both players play before grading this draft.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    The draft is a crapshoot. We don't know what Kravtsov would've done if he played in juniors. Let's wait to see both players play before grading this draft.
    After the first round, and especially the top-10, sure. The guys taken really early, though, are more often locks than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Could be. At the end of the day though, Wahlstrom falling into the Islanders lap wasn’t because the Rangers passed on him, it was because none of the first 10 to pick wanted him. Maybe that tells you something, maybe it doesn’t.
    I wanted Wahlstrom, but after reading what people have to say about Kravtsov I feel really good about that pick. Certainly no need to paint it as a reach or a massive fuck up.
    Orrrrrr the players picked from 1 though 7 were amazing prospects that are supposed to be can't miss and pretty much picked where they should have been picked?

I'm not going to shit on the pick anymore. Obviously some people here have resources that give better outlooks than what is available via the typical Google search (not me).. Apparently this kid has more potential than what we have read. I guess it's more about the name recognition, and how much it was discussed on here about Wahlstrom hopefully falling to the Rangers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    On the timing aspect, Wahlstrom is going to college and Kravtsov will be here next season at the latest.
    By next season do you mean in 3 months?
    And even with that, we have no idea when he will be here

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    After the first round, and especially the top-10, sure. The guys taken really early, though, are more often locks than not.

Yes, the top 2 or 3 may be locks and even that’s not a guarantee but after that it’s a crapshoot
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

To be NHL players? It's deeper than that. The top half of the draft is all but guaranteed to net you an NHL player.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

2018 NHL Entry Draft – Movin' On Up into the Top-Five – Live Discussion

We are talking about becoming more than just a standard NHL player, I thought that was understood
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Fair enough.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    By next season do you mean in 3 months?
    And even with that, we have no idea when he will be here

The argument was that Wahlstrom would be available to the organisation sooner and that picking a Russian is a risk because you don’t know how long it might take to get him over here. That is incorrect, as Kravtsov has only one year left on his contract and Wahlstrom will spend at least one year in college.
    They are currently debating whether Kravtsov should come over straight away or play out his final year in Russia, so worst case scenario is he joins next summer, which is the best case scenario for Wahlstrom.

Whether he makes the roster or goes to Hartford remains to be seen, but bashing the pick based on when the two players would be available to the organisation is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Orrrrrr the players picked from 1 though 7 were amazing prospects that are supposed to be can't miss and pretty much picked where they should have been picked?
    But they weren't. Not even close. The first 2 picks stuck to the script, after that it was all over the shop. There wasn't single guy alive that had
    3. Kotkaniemi
    4. Tkachuk
    5. Hayton
    6. Zadina
    7. Hughes
    8. Boqvist

The fact that Dobson, Bouchard and Wahlstrom would all be available at 9 was a complete shock to literally everyone. I think it just goes to show that the draft rarely plays out the way the scouts and analysts expect it to. Every scout sees different things. Every organization puts more value into a certain attribute, position or mental characteristic than others. After Dahlin and Svechnikov there were a bunch of guys who were rated between 3 and 10 in various order depending on the scout. Kravtsov was, with a few exceptions, at the lower end of the spectrum. But I think you're right that name recognition is a factor. It is for the scouts as well. Everybody knows the rankings has a certain bias against Russians. And why wouldn't they be? They watch the NA skaters loads of times in the flesh. Virtually every single draft has a Russian kid picked late that turns out to be dynamite. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying this is necessarily a factor with Kravtsov, but I think it's absolutely clear Bobrov knows that player a hell of a lot better than the likes of McKenzie, Pronman etc.

I can't say with any confidence they made the right pick. Maybe Wahlstrom, Dobson and Bouchard will go on to light up the NHL and the Rangers will look silly once again. Like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    But they weren't. Not even close. The first 2 picks stuck to the script, after that it was all over the shop. There wasn't single guy alive that had
    3. Kotkaniemi
    4. Tkachuk
    5. Hayton
    6. Zadina
    7. Hughes
    8. Boqvist

The fact that Dobson, Bouchard and Wahlstrom would all be available at 9 was a complete shock to literally everyone. I think it just goes to show that the draft rarely plays out the way the scouts and analysts expect it to. Every scout sees different things. Every organization puts more value into a certain attribute, position or mental characteristic than others. After Dahlin and Svechnikov there were a bunch of guys who were rated between 3 and 10 in various order depending on the scout. Kravtsov was, with a few exceptions, at the lower end of the spectrum. But I think you're right that name recognition is a factor. It is for the scouts as well. Everybody knows the rankings has a certain bias against Russians. And why wouldn't they be? They watch the NA skaters loads of times in the flesh. Virtually every single draft has a Russian kid picked late that turns out to be dynamite. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying this is necessarily a factor with Kravtsov, but I think it's absolutely clear Bobrov knows that player a hell of a lot better than the likes of McKenzie, Pronman etc.

I can't say with any confidence they made the right pick. Maybe Wahlstrom, Dobson and Bouchard will go on to light up the NHL and the Rangers will look silly once again. Like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.
    This is kind of a good point. Predraft rank vs mock draft...a mock draft should take into account organization need. And even then, it's a guess by the mock drafter.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233