Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Athleticís 2018 NHL Mock Draft 2.0

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,906
    Rep Power
    430

    The Athleticís 2018 NHL Mock Draft 2.0

    No. 9 N.Y. Rangers: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Assat-Liiga
    What does the team typically value in players?

    I think this year and last, theyíre looking at character guys Ö obviously along with skill. Theyíre still thrilled with last yearís first-round pick Lias Andersson and very fired up over their acquisitions of character guys in Brett Howden and Ryan Lindgren.

    Is there any major area of need?

    Their most obvious need is on defense, but they also lack real top-end wingers. I think theyíd prefer wingers over D now that they have Livor Hajek, Lindgren and eventually Yegor Rykov coming, plus theyíve seen what Neal Pionk might be.

    Rationale?

    Another good character guy, which the Rangers are striving to collect. Kotkaniemi can play center or wing, has good skills ó another Rangersí need ó and is good along the walls, at the puck-possession game new coach David Quinn wants to play.

    ó Rick Carpiniello
    https://theathletic.com/372509/2018/...ng-team-needs/

    Taken at 26 and 28: Akil Thomas and Jonatan Berggren.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,137
    Rep Power
    98
    Thoughts? Im not in the loop regarding any of these players except like the top 3, Tkachuk, and Wahlstrom.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,067
    Rep Power
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Thoughts? Im not in the loop regarding any of these players except like the top 3, Tkachuk, and Wahlstrom.
    Kotkaniemi is the wild card of the first round. He was originally expected to taken in the 20s but has shot up the rankings the last 2 months with an impressive end of the year playoff run playing the Liiga.

    While listed as a C, he's a versatile forward that can play all three positions. He's got decent size, good hands, good vision, goes to the net, good shot, great defensively, feisty & relentless playstyle. He doesnt have the same upside or game breaking ability that most top 10 picks have, but he is potentially NHL-ready (or closer than other options). He's drawn comparisons to Kopitar and other 2-way centers. I see him closer to a M Koivu, a bit faster, a little more snarl.

    the biggest issue being if you see him as a potential top liner, which, you'd ideally aim for with a #9 pick.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,793
    Rep Power
    101
    I want Jett Woo.

    What a fucking name that kid has.


    Also, it seems like the top 9, whether is Kotiniemi, Wahlstrom, or a defender, will have a really good player available. I'm not worried about that.
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 06-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    GORTON 2020

  5. #5
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,491
    Rep Power
    276
    That's three busts, right there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,766
    Rep Power
    22
    5 C's in the first round of the last two drafts? Nah. These picks are neither PBA or picks after needs. At 9 its either Wahlstrom, Tkachuk or one of the D. Thomas is probably fine, but I don't like Berggren.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,536
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That's three busts, right there.
    Was thinking how uninspiring. Your more entertaining.

  8. #8
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,832
    Rep Power
    141
    I love Akil Thomas there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,442
    Rep Power
    46
    Not saying he wont be a good player in the NHL but based off of his description, Kotkaniemi sounds like another Lias Anderson.. Not going to be an elite player but is almost NHL ready, solid defensively and has good hustle. Not saying it's a bad thing but since we already have it in the system I say take a chance on someone else.

    I don't subscribe to the Athletic so I don't see the picks before ours but if Wahlstrom is available at 9 then you take him simply because he's the kind of player this franchise never seems to be able to get their hands on. We have character prospects.. get some high offensive skill now.

    Also I am no expert but aren't there reports of 2 teams with higher picks who were both very interested in Kotkaniemi? I think Montreal and Detroit but I could be wrong there. So even if the Rangers want him I don't think it will happen.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    41
    Wahlstrom is picked at 8 by Chicago in their mock draft.
    The Rangers are leaving Dobson, Veleno and Ty Smith on the board.

    Personally I’m taking Dobson all day long if that’s the situation.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,442
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Wahlstrom is picked at 8 by Chicago in their mock draft.
    The Rangers are leaving Dobson, Veleno and Ty Smith on the board.

    Personally I’m taking Dobson all day long if that’s the situation.
    Yea everything I have heard about Dobson has been promising though I have never watched him play, even highlight reel. Wouldn't mind that pick.

  12. #12
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,067
    Rep Power
    276
    If our options are Dobson, Veleno and Smith, I hope we trade back a few spots.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    41
    I don’t see why we would.
    Dobson is an excellent pick at 9, and I’m not sure what can be gained from dropping back.

  14. #14
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,137
    Rep Power
    98
    Kevin Allen's Mock 2.0
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lin/709647002/
    9. New York Rangers: Defenseman Noah Dobson, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL): A 6-foot-3 defenseman who can handle the puck and play well in his own end. Has agility and strength. Uses his size well. High-value pick if the Rangers get him at No. 9.
    He has Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 7 to Vancouver, and Oliver Wahlstrom at 8 to Chicago.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,793
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Kevin Allen's Mock 2.0
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lin/709647002/


    He has Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 7 to Vancouver, and Oliver Wahlstrom at 8 to Chicago.
    Can't help but feel like a defender would be a massive let down/not sexy. But this kid is good. All the D in the top 10 are. I wouldn't hate it.
    GORTON 2020

  16. #16
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,442
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Can't help but feel like a defender would be a massive let down/not sexy. But this kid is good. All the D in the top 10 are. I wouldn't hate it.
    Because a defender is not a sexy pick (unless its Dahlin) but truthfully this team needs good D prospects as much as it needs top 6 forwards.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,793
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Because a defender is not a sexy pick (unless its Dahlin) but truthfully this team needs good D prospects as much as it needs top 6 forwards.
    Exactly. They need EVERYTHING. They can always use someone as a trade chip later if they need to.
    GORTON 2020

  18. #18
    Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    6
    When I look at all those mock drafts, there seems to be a rather clear trend:

    Dahlin goes first, then Svechnikov. Tkachuk and Zadina goes 3-4.

    After that, you have a group of: Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom and Boqvist, who have all been ranked anywhere from 5-10. It's almost the same names in january as in june - only Kotkaniemi seems to have climbed. Even in the days leading up to the draft, you can see Dobson going 5th and 10th in different mocks, Hughes going 4th in some and then 9th in others - it really, really looks like a matter of taste or a virtual toss-up between these guys.

    That again makes the 9th spot really good value-wise. I would love any guy from that group, perhaps except Kotkaniemi - but I'm sure he'll go before 9 due to being the top C in the draft. Just don't go off board and grab someone like Veleno or Hayton at 9. See what happens and go with the one that falls to you.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,766
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    When I look at all those mock drafts, there seems to be a rather clear trend:

    Dahlin goes first, then Svechnikov. Tkachuk and Zadina goes 3-4.

    After that, you have a group of: Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom and Boqvist, who have all been ranked anywhere from 5-10. It's almost the same names in january as in june - only Kotkaniemi seems to have climbed. Even in the days leading up to the draft, you can see Dobson going 5th and 10th in different mocks, Hughes going 4th in some and then 9th in others - it really, really looks like a matter of taste or a virtual toss-up between these guys.

    That again makes the 9th spot really good value-wise. I would love any guy from that group, perhaps except Kotkaniemi - but I'm sure he'll go before 9 due to being the top C in the draft. Just don't go off board and grab someone like Veleno or Hayton at 9. See what happens and go with the one that falls to you.
    This is not so sure anymore. Kotkaniemi is actually favorite (at bookies) to be drafted #3. Some others have Hughes and even Dobson in the top 4.

    But yeah, the top 10 has been the same group for months now. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, BOUCHARD, Boqvist is how I have the top 10 (in that order).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •