• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lindy Ruff Expected to Stay on Quinn's Staff

Phil

The defense, which he was in charge of, was awful. Especially in zone exits and entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Associate/Assitant coach doesn’t have all that authority a lot of the time. He’s also not responsible for how they break out. I have no clue how much say he had in situations. Was it said he was the guy solely making those decisions?

The defense, which he was in charge of, was awful. Especially in zone exits and entries.

Imo this makes him part of the problem. Especially because as you point out above I believe he did have the autonomy to run the D as he saw fit. He should of been replaced as a part of the house cleaning and fresh start.

As of now the rangers are keeping their video coach, goalie coach, strength and conditioning coach, and now ruff. They kept ruff around while searching for a coach. Obviously the front office at the very least was hoping Quinn would find him useful. Is that all? Or was ruff kept around to “help” whomever the rangers hired. They were going to hire a rookie coach for fresh ideas and development but imo ruff was part of any new coaches package of coming on board. It doesn’t really mean anything other than the front office wanted some security and say in what happens going forward. Doesn’t mean it won’t work.

I would have been fine with Ruff being named HC. Probably should have been given the job Midway through last season.

With that said, do you want the guy with the 6th most coaching wins (all time) as well as the 6th most games coached (all time) on the bench with a rookie head coach? Obviously Quinn should have confidence in having the big contract that he just got being job security. Add in that Ruff always had some strong offenes, but not so good D's as a HC. Last season he ran the Rangers D, which looked absolutely lost and brutal. Maybe that was more AV's system and the team just giving up, but Ruff kinda has a track record of sub par D. Why not have him run the offense? LOL

I hope this "touching base" is more about what to expect from certain players.

He’s there to take over in the event that Quinn is absolutely terrible

Don't think so. He would have taken over last season if Gorton loved him. Quinn and the Rangers said they'd have a coach or two with more experience on the bench for sure. Ruff is already there. He's kind of an easy choice.

Why do most people have a bug in their ass with Ruff?

He's a douche.

He insisted that Michael Peca was his 1 C.

Stuck with "favorites" on D.

Only good seasons were from goalies being outstanding

didnt develop any young players

His names is "Lindy"

He's a douche.

His names is "Lindy"

This and, most importantly to me, he was on the coaching staff for one of the worst Rangers seasons in recent times, including being (to a varying/debatable degree) responsible for the abysmal Rangers defense. So unless AV had him so tied down that he couldn't make any changes or he had some sort of revelation after the season, I don't get the move to keep him.

I thought the point was to bring in fresh ideas and voices. How is having a holdover assistant from last year going to accomplish that?

He's a douche.

His names is "Lindy"

That whole "didn't develop any young players" is false. It's been discussed before.

With Ruff? Who did he develop? Almost all his major talent pieces were established. Those crazy years in Buffalo... look at the age of Drury and Briere and the lot. They weren't kids.

Maxim Afinogenov

Brian Campbell

Dmitri Kalinin

J.P. Dumont

Tim Connolly

Ales Kotalik

Henrik Tallinder

Jason Pominville

Derek Roy

Thomas Vanek

Drew Stafford

Andrej Sekera

Tyler Ennis

Tyler Myers

All these players began their careers playing for Ruff in Buffalo at age 23 or younger the bolded players were the core of the 05/06 and 06/07 50 win teams. Over those 2 years, 6 of the top 9 point scores are in that list (Afinogenov, Vanek, Roy, Kotalik, Pominville, and Campbell). Tallinder and Campell were half of the top 4 D.

They also made the playoffs in 09/10 and 10/11, after Drury and Briere left, lead by all of the above players.

Afinogenov has one good season, and that was when the team was strong.

Most of those players put up better numbers after they left Buffalo, or wound up in Europe shortly after.

For a 20 year stretch, that’s a pretty weak list.

Maxim Afinogenov

Brian Campbell

Dmitri Kalinin

J.P. Dumont

Tim Connolly

Ales Kotalik

Henrik Tallinder

Jason Pominville

Derek Roy

Thomas Vanek

Drew Stafford

Andrej Sekera

Tyler Ennis

Tyler Myers

All these players began their careers playing for Ruff in Buffalo at age 23 or younger the bolded players were the core of the 05/06 and 06/07 50 win teams. Over those 2 years, 6 of the top 9 point scores are in that list (Afinogenov, Vanek, Roy, Kotalik, Pominville, and Campbell). Tallinder and Campell were half of the top 4 D.

They also made the playoffs in 09/10 and 10/11, after Drury and Briere left, lead by all of the above players.

You're also leaving off

Satan

Zhitnik

McKee

Varada

Gaustad

Pyatt

Curtis Brown

Marty Biron

Ryan Miller

As well as the use of a super young Peca.

Archived