Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindy Ruff Expected to Stay on Quinn's Staff

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Lindy Ruff Expected to Stay on Quinn's Staff

28. Coaching stuff: It’s expected Lindy Ruff will stay with David Quinn in New York.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...karlsson-deal/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Seems like Quinn doesn’t get to choose his staff.

What makes you think that? Friedman reported the two expected to touch base. I seriously doubt this call was made without his tacit approval, if not his consent.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Not the problem; not the solution.

Pretty much.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Why do most people have a bug in their ass with Ruff?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

The defense, which he was in charge of, was awful. Especially in zone exits and entries.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The defense, which he was in charge of, was awful. Especially in zone exits and entries.

The Associate/Assitant coach doesn’t have all that authority a lot of the time. He’s also not responsible for how they break out. I have no clue how much say he had in situations. Was it said he was the guy solely making those decisions?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

I'd have to look it up, but I believe he had autonomy with the defense.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

Imo this makes him part of the problem. Especially because as you point out above I believe he did have the autonomy to run the D as he saw fit. He should of been replaced as a part of the house cleaning and fresh start.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 06-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.

As of now the rangers are keeping their video coach, goalie coach, strength and conditioning coach, and now ruff. They kept ruff around while searching for a coach. Obviously the front office at the very least was hoping Quinn would find him useful. Is that all? Or was ruff kept around to “help” whomever the rangers hired. They were going to hire a rookie coach for fresh ideas and development but imo ruff was part of any new coaches package of coming on board. It doesn’t really mean anything other than the front office wanted some security and say in what happens going forward. Doesn’t mean it won’t work.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I would have been fine with Ruff being named HC. Probably should have been given the job Midway through last season.

With that said, do you want the guy with the 6th most coaching wins (all time) as well as the 6th most games coached (all time) on the bench with a rookie head coach? Obviously Quinn should have confidence in having the big contract that he just got being job security. Add in that Ruff always had some strong offenes, but not so good D's as a HC. Last season he ran the Rangers D, which looked absolutely lost and brutal. Maybe that was more AV's system and the team just giving up, but Ruff kinda has a track record of sub par D. Why not have him run the offense? LOL

I hope this "touching base" is more about what to expect from certain players.

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    He’ll probably be the “eye in the sky” coach. So he won’t be behind the bench at all, but in the press box watching the game and giving Quinn his perspective of the entire team—what Daryl Williams supposedly did.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Never saw Ruff as a D oriented coach, if he pushes our young guys toward offense in the early stages of the rebuild and gets more out of them that way, great.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    He’s there to take over in the event that Quinn is absolutely terrible
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    He’s there to take over in the event that Quinn is absolutely terrible
    Don't think so. He would have taken over last season if Gorton loved him. Quinn and the Rangers said they'd have a coach or two with more experience on the bench for sure. Ruff is already there. He's kind of an easy choice.
    GORTON 2020

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Don't think so. He would have taken over last season if Gorton loved him. Quinn and the Rangers said they'd have a coach or two with more experience on the bench for sure. Ruff is already there. He's kind of an easy choice.
    I was kidding
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why do most people have a bug in their ass with Ruff?
    He's a douche.
    He insisted that Michael Peca was his 1 C.
    Stuck with "favorites" on D.
    Only good seasons were from goalies being outstanding
    didnt develop any young players
    His names is "Lindy"
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    His names is "Lindy"
    A criminal offense imo

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He's a douche.
    He insisted that Michael Peca was his 1 C.
    Stuck with "favorites" on D.
    Only good seasons were from goalies being outstanding
    didnt develop any young players
    His names is "Lindy"
    This and, most importantly to me, he was on the coaching staff for one of the worst Rangers seasons in recent times, including being (to a varying/debatable degree) responsible for the abysmal Rangers defense. So unless AV had him so tied down that he couldn't make any changes or he had some sort of revelation after the season, I don't get the move to keep him.

I thought the point was to bring in fresh ideas and voices. How is having a holdover assistant from last year going to accomplish that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast