Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lindy Ruff Expected to Stay on Quinn's Staff

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He's a douche.
    He insisted that Michael Peca was his 1 C.
    Stuck with "favorites" on D.
    Only good seasons were from goalies being outstanding
    didnt develop any young players
    His names is "Lindy"
    That whole "didn't develop any young players" is false. It's been discussed before.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    With Ruff? Who did he develop? Almost all his major talent pieces were established. Those crazy years in Buffalo... look at the age of Drury and Briere and the lot. They weren't kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    With Ruff? Who did he develop? Almost all his major talent pieces were established. Those crazy years in Buffalo... look at the age of Drury and Briere and the lot. They weren't kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Maxim Afinogenov
    Brian Campbell
    Dmitri Kalinin
    J.P. Dumont
    Tim Connolly
    Ales Kotalik
    Henrik Tallinder
    Jason Pominville
    Derek Roy
    Thomas Vanek
    Drew Stafford
    Andrej Sekera
    Tyler Ennis
    Tyler Myers

All these players began their careers playing for Ruff in Buffalo at age 23 or younger the bolded players were the core of the 05/06 and 06/07 50 win teams. Over those 2 years, 6 of the top 9 point scores are in that list (Afinogenov, Vanek, Roy, Kotalik, Pominville, and Campbell). Tallinder and Campell were half of the top 4 D.

They also made the playoffs in 09/10 and 10/11, after Drury and Briere left, lead by all of the above players.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Afinogenov has one good season, and that was when the team was strong.
    Most of those players put up better numbers after they left Buffalo, or wound up in Europe shortly after.

For a 20 year stretch, that’s a pretty weak list.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Maxim Afinogenov
    Brian Campbell
    Dmitri Kalinin
    J.P. Dumont
    Tim Connolly
    Ales Kotalik
    Henrik Tallinder
    Jason Pominville
    Derek Roy
    Thomas Vanek
    Drew Stafford
    Andrej Sekera
    Tyler Ennis
    Tyler Myers

All these players began their careers playing for Ruff in Buffalo at age 23 or younger the bolded players were the core of the 05/06 and 06/07 50 win teams. Over those 2 years, 6 of the top 9 point scores are in that list (Afinogenov, Vanek, Roy, Kotalik, Pominville, and Campbell). Tallinder and Campell were half of the top 4 D.

They also made the playoffs in 09/10 and 10/11, after Drury and Briere left, lead by all of the above players.
    You're also leaving off
    Satan
    Zhitnik
    McKee
    Varada
    Gaustad
    Pyatt
    Curtis Brown
    Marty Biron
    Ryan Miller

As well as the use of a super young Peca.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Guys he's the 5th winningest coach in NHL history.

Stop the madness. Give him a chance with AV gone. That's all I ask.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Should have made him the hc then.

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Why was Lindy Ruff brought in if he was not going to be able to have an impact or a say on the defense? I'm not buying that it was all on AV here, especially considering he had a few years here where the defense was fine and not the weak link. The defense was considerably worse last year than it has been in over a decade - since pre-Renney years. It's a mistake keeping Ruff here. Quinn should be handpicking his own guys. This doesn't give me confidence at all.

So we're blaming Ruff for Smith being terrible, getting waived, and going unclaimed, as well as Shattenkirk playing injured all year. And no credit for Pionk's play. Got it. Bad stuff is Ruff's fault, good stuff had nothing to do with Ruff.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    If you are talking to me, that is certainly not what I said. I simply pointed out that he did no favors for team defense.

As a new head coach in the NHL, I find it odd that Quinn wants a guy like Ruff on his staff, and it is even more strange that Ruff is okay playing the role of assistant coach with his pedigree that people have already pointed out on here. Should be easy for him to get a head coaching gig no?

Quinn is either supremely confident and has no fear of a guy like ruff and his credentials or he had no choice but to accept him on his staff.

I do think it’s a benefit to a rookie coach to have a guy like ruff around. I also believe a coach should have total say who is on their staff. In a perfect world Quinn viewed him as an asset and asked for him to stay. Bring that rough was kept around while searching for a coach hints that this was a front office demand.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    If you are talking to me, that is certainly not what I said. I simply pointed out that he did no favors for team defense.

As a new head coach in the NHL, I find it odd that Quinn wants a guy like Ruff on his staff, and it is even more strange that Ruff is okay playing the role of assistant coach with his pedigree that people have already pointed out on here. Should be easy for him to get a head coaching gig no?
    If it were easy he would have gotten one two seasons ago. Clearly, he doesn't have many options or he just wants to be in NY for some reason. I don't understand what's so strange about it. He's not going to be the head coach at any point. Rangers had multiple chances to hire him and didn't. They hired a rookie over him. He'll be a good crutch for Quinn and a good brain to pick.
    GORTON 2020

He most likely has nudes of Gorton....just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Quinn is either supremely confident and has no fear of a guy like ruff and his credentials or he had no choice but to accept him on his staff.

I do think it’s a benefit to a rookie coach to have a guy like ruff around. I also believe a coach should have total say who is on their staff. In a perfect world Quinn viewed him as an asset and asked for him to stay. Bring that rough was kept around while searching for a coach hints that this was a front office demand.
    I'm in agreement with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    He most likely has nudes of Gorton....just sayin'
    And let's hope we never see them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12