• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Would You Deal All Three First-Round Picks to Get Second Overall?

What is, the collection of Rangers' picks?

Yeah, in terms of offer sheet compensation.

Regarding actual value in this draft, I don't think Carolina does it, but I would. I doubt you find a forward of Svechnikov's caliber anywhere else in the draft. Others might come close, but he's the elite scorer they've always needed. Unfortunately, he's also an elite scorer Carolina could absolutely use.

I might if all my scouts have Svech with a higher draft grade than Nico and Patrick from last years draft. I'd rather trade #9 and #28 and Names for Zadina. Thus still having the extra first. Plus it is more fun since it appears the Canes have made their decision and announced it.

Yeah, in terms of offer sheet compensation.

Regarding actual value in this draft, I don't think Carolina does it, but I would. I doubt you find a forward of Svechnikov's caliber anywhere else in the draft. Others might come close, but he's the elite scorer they've always needed. Unfortunately, he's also an elite scorer Carolina could absolutely use.

You think they make that trade? I don't. I think #2 > #9, 26, 28, especially for them.

Anyone who checks out the past track record and chances of getting difference making NHL players with picks in the late twenties would say yes to this in a flash. Unfortunately, rival GMs are well aware of this.

Out of the top ten players there's always one or two guys who don't make it. I'm more comfortable making all the picks than trading them all to move up. You just never know. Realistically, the Rangers need to draft 3-5 NHL players in this draft. They can't go another year where only one pick turns into something.

"You never know" suggests that the entirety of the first round goes bust with the same rate of frequency. It doesn't. The likelihood that the second overall pick fails to pan out is significantly smaller than the 9th, which is smaller than the 26th, which is smaller than the 28th, etc.

I'm more than comfortable with them making their picks, but they'd be idiotic not to trade them all for Svechnikov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

"You never know" suggests that the entirety of the first round goes bust with the same rate of frequency. It doesn't. The likelihood that the second overall pick fails to pan out is significantly smaller than the 9th, which is smaller than the 26th, which is smaller than the 28th, etc.

I'm more than comfortable with them making their picks, but they'd be idiotic not to trade them all for Svechnikov.

That's if Carolina doesn't make the announcement they did. Picking some top nine type forwards can also give us some decent trade chips to get an established player with stable production, I guess we will see.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm just a nervous Rangers' fan. They routinely go "off board" and so I have no confidence in their ability to just pick the best damn player. My theory is that the more picks they have the better chance they have at hitting on SOMEONE. Hell, they'd probably draft Tkachuk 2nd overall. The Top 9 players are very good prospects. I'm okay moving a pick, but I need at least two 1sts because the Rangers are bound to do something dumb. Imagine if they didn't have two last year and went off board to pick Andersson? He's a fine player but Chytil is really the top prospect at this point. They got lucky.

too many swings and misses. drafting stars isnt one of our strengths. so i say believe it or not the fewer the picks the better. i trade all 3 to pick up a cant miss like svech or zadina. of course im not loving names game so if they would do the 9th, 28th names and maybe a 2nd, thatll work

Ok but if you’re trading three first round picks you will have far more options then just Svechnikov. Three firsts will net you a heck of a proven player. Maybe even a guy who plays a pivotal position like center or defense.

So I say no. Regardless how good he is I’m not paying that price for a wing. I’m not building my team around a wing, ever.

I might if all my scouts have Svech with a higher draft grade than Nico and Patrick from last years draft. I'd rather trade #9 and #28 and Names for Zadina. Thus still having the extra first. Plus it is more fun since it appears the Canes have made their decision and announced it.

That is more along with what I would like to see and probably more realistic.. Zadina or Tkachuk.

regardless I’m not trading three firsts for a wing. That’s a lot of assets to spend for a position that’s the least impactful and easiest to fill. Most here would and I get why. The question is posed and my answer is no. I just feel like those assets if spent should be on building up the middle or on the back end. Maybe I’m old school.

Archived