• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A New Approach Ahead of the Draft Regarding Trades

Giacomin

The draft is 2 weeks away. By it's conclusion, the core of the Ranger's plan/future should be much clearer. Especially if we are to expect limited UFA activity. This off season, demands a focus on the rebuild. Key is mgmt adding as many long term quality pieces possible. This to find some budding stars.

That is the first obvious difference this year. The future has not been a driving priority for some time. Nor have we had the picks to reload on talent.

To advance this agenda, another shift should occur. A new approach to trades. Often, we chase a potentially available player that fills a current need. Yet, less proven upside talent is needed everywhere, if a few gems are to emerge. Another type of trades we've seen is when we want to move a player, for various reasons. This should not be a priority this month. Instead, we need to see what teams want/need and present a host of options.

Basically create a pool of assets, from which to choose from. Zuc, Names, Spooner, Shatty, Vesey, maybe a few B prospects and PICKS. Some mix could be of interest to other teams. Hayes too, if the upside return is very high.

Ultimately, only a few deals will get made. What remains are then sorted out by Quinn and reassessed later.

So what are other team's needs? Many need Cs and we can accomodate. Montreal, Calgary and others are somewhat desperate. Teams like Edm and Calg want a scoring winger. Again, we can help. Then there are teams w/o 1st rounders like Bruins, Jets, Bolts, Vegas, Calgary, Nash. A few of them are also lacking 2nd and 3rds, including next year, such as Calgary. Ottawa is short picks next year and wants to dump salary. We have the ammo. Minn among others are a bit tight to the cap. Some need more space to sign FAs. A few new GMs want to make their mark. A few GMs need to win now or lose their job. Some teams are overloaded at one position.

Bottom line, there are a lot of opportunities this June. So what specific moves could we make? See the next post.

Target #1 - Calgary (RHD)

Calgary needs - Scoring upfront. A center and/or a top 6 wing. They also want picks. They have no #1,2,3 this year and are missing high picks next year. Perfect fit.

Their surplus - Dmen. RHD and young Dmen currently blocked. :thumbs:

Poposal 1: Dougie Hamilton for picks 28, 48, 88 and Tampa's pick next year.

Or 28, 88, & Names and a 3rd next year.

Or Zuc, 39, 88 and 3rd next year

Calgary reloads their entire draft and a high pick next year, plus shed a big salary. Calgary has kids on both sides of the D ready to move up. An offer sheet would value Dougie at a 1,2 & 3, plus. The offer is fair. This gets the conversation going.

Assume they want too much for Dougie. Then they have a log jam with 2 RHD kids and 2 LHD kids ready for the NHL. They'll keep lefty Valimaki their 1st rounder and LH Kylington.

Here is where we pounce. Either RHD should be a top 4. The Rangers should go after the one they like best.

Rasmus Andersson (9G 30A in 56 AHL) is 21 and very ready. Solid hard working Swede, who is strong and gritty. Smart and tough defensively, but also showed an aggressive offensive attack last year. Quick and strong on his skates.

Adam Fox - The actual target. Quick, smart, great puck distributor, accurate shot, moves the puck out of the zone. Two excellent years at Harvard, good tournaments and averages over a point per game. Unsigned 3rd rounder who may be had cheap. They recoop their 3rd and get a second for their troubles.

Adam Fox for 48 and 88.

I'd also look to talk to the Jets about Trouba. Similar package as Hamilton.

There is Ottawa. I'd have interest in Stone or their pick. Or Arizona's pick if possible. Detroit's Holland says he isn't trading out of the top ten. Hmmm. Not sure if a swap works until draft day. They are also rumored to like Bouchard.

Maybe this will get a discussion going on the actual lay of the land and some specific ideas. How aggressive we can get in the pursuit of top level players? I think Gorton will make a few moves.

Same as always - top tier talent.

I want game-breaking Russians.

The only person i move up to get is Svechnikov, and that seems highly unlikely. Unless something strange happens, we should probably stay at 9. The cost to move up may be too costly. We will also have a few good players to pick from.

As far as trades, I'm onboard with any upgrade to the current roster. Fox is still years away. If calgary wants one of our wingers and 26th for Dougie, sure.

But i think the biggest need is top talent. 1C, a future 1D. Need elite talent. I dont care if its through draft picks, trades, free agency

Not sure if I'm in agreement in that every team is looking to load up or reload on draft picks, because they just dealt them and they HAVE TO have picks.

I'm with Josh. Just get top tier talent. I don't care how old they are.

I'm not unloading every player that isn't 23 years old, just to get even more draft pick for this year.

If they can package said types of players, with picks for elite talent, or potential high draft picks NEXT year or this year. Fine. But this notion that teams want to trade top tier talent just to get back into this draft (in the late 20's at that), I don't feel is realistic.

Saw something where Chicago was offering their 27th pick for Faulk. Maybe we could make an offer for Noah Hanafin.

Not a bad thought, but how good is he? Every time I see Carolina it is Jacob Slavin that grabs my attention. Feels like Noah is going to cost a lot in $, cap and assets. He's a RFA. I do think Faulk gets traded. Not to us.

Not sure if I'm in agreement in that every team is looking to load up or reload on draft picks, because they just dealt them and they HAVE TO have picks.

Not every team is, but Calgary and Boston are rumored to be interested.

I'm with Josh. Just get top tier talent. I don't care how old they are.

I'm not unloading every player that isn't 23 years old, just to get even more draft pick for this year.

No one suggested to unload every player over 23. Only a few trades at most will be executed. I was specific, are you referring to a particular proposal? Which one?

If they can package said types of players, with picks for elite talent, or potential high draft picks NEXT year or this year. Fine. But this notion that teams want to trade top tier talent just to get back into this draft (in the late 20's at that), I don't feel is realistic.

Are you talking about Hamilton here? I proposed 4 assets not one. They have traded the most high picks of any team in the league. They need some picks, whether you agree or not. Calgary is not Winnipeg.

Same as always - top tier talent.

I want game-breaking Russians.

And a Russian bride.

The only person i move up to get is Svechnikov, and that seems highly unlikely. Unless something strange happens, we should probably stay at 9. The cost to move up may be too costly. We will also have a few good players to pick from.

Zadina is gonna be the better player anyway. Why would you want Evander Kane (with his head on straight) over Patrick Kane. And trading with Bergevin is bound to work out well. You're not on board with my Habs trade, but want high end talent?

As far as trades, I'm onboard with any upgrade to the current roster. Fox is still years away.

Why is he years away? Did he say he staying 4 years at Harvard. He's from Queens, Josh. Bring the man home.

If calgary wants one of our wingers and 26th for Dougie, sure.

But i think the biggest need is top talent. 1C, a future 1D. Need elite talent. I dont care if its through draft picks, trades, free agency

I'm working on the D. Where we gonna get your 1C?

I don't buy for one second that either Trouba or Hamilton is on the block. It's wishful thinking, they're each the best defender on their team and neither organization needs to shed cap, has a #1 ready to step in or is looking to rebuild.

You're more likely to get Myers/Morrissey or Giordano/Hamonic.

WPG is probably more interested in trading forwards. Wheeler, Laine and Connor are up after this year, and Little/Perrault are making over $10m.

I don't buy for one second that either Trouba or Hamilton is on the block. It's wishful thinking, they're each the best defender on their team and neither organization needs to shed cap, has a #1 ready to step in or is looking to rebuild.

You're more likely to get Myers/Morrissey or Giordano/Hamonic.

WPG is probably more interested in trading forwards. Wheeler, Laine and Connor are up after this year, and Little/Perrault are making over $10m.

Let's take the easy one first, Winnipeg. Let's assume they are keeping Trouba. If they are crazy enough to trade Morrissey, count me in. He'd solidfy our top 4 on the left side for quite a while. Myers is much less intriguing, but I'd take him if we could get him at a bargain. A trade with the Jets seems a long shot though.

However, I'm convinced all roads start with Calgary. Talks begin with Hamilton, but again, assume he stays. So does Valimaki their best D prospect. Then the conversation moves to Fox, Andersson or Kylington. Fox should be the ultimate target since he may not sign at all with Calgary and they'll lose him for nothing in 2 years. He is 20 RHD, drafted in the 3rd round. Any of the 3 would help the Rangers, but Fox has the highest upside of the 3.

Calgary wants a right winger. They also have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Bad situation next year too. I suggested a 2nd and 3rd. We could use Tampa's pick next year. Zuc alone would do it, but that's not cheap. We want a discount since he is unsigned.

Who else has these D prospects and needs forwards and picks besides Calgary? We could use top 50 prospect who is not 18 but 20 or 21 and less than a year away.

I think management sees Chytil & Andersson as centers, and we also have Howden in the minors so going forward Center may not be the position we are looking at?Zibenajad, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Namestnikov, Spooner, Nieves?and I?m sure in the draft if we go best player available there will be 1 or 2 centers who will fall into our lap to secure us going forward so.....

Of course ALL that changes if we deal 1 or 2 of those guys.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It just seems like you're a bit hung up on this draft. I appreciate the homework you do in giving an assessment if these draftees, but it seems like you're thinking every team is ready to give up top players just to get a first round pick. Or that the Rangers absolutely need to unload guys to get more picks. It's spread out across these boards. Not just limited to this thread.

I don't think Dougie Hamilton gets moved so they can stock up on draft picks. They move him, they are getting a ready to play, young, top six winger. Not late 1sts, 2nds and 4ths....

I think Calgary is in more of a position to go for it, rather than sell pieces for draft picks.

If they took a package like that, awesome. I just don't think they are thinking what you think they are.I see them as a team looking to get better now.

I don?t know Calgary is a small market team and even tho? they have 17 mil & 7 players to sign, they never spend their entire cap. Plus they have Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar & Ferland among others to sign long term as next year they will be RFAs so they have decisions to make, long term.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It just seems like you're a bit hung up on this draft. I appreciate the homework you do in giving an assessment if these draftees, but it seems like you're thinking every team is ready to give up top players just to get a first round pick. Or that the Rangers absolutely need to unload guys to get more picks. It's spread out across these boards. Not just limited to this thread.

I don't think Dougie Hamilton gets moved so they can stock up on draft picks. They move him, they are getting a ready to play, young, top six winger. Not late 1sts, 2nds and 4ths....

I think Calgary is in more of a position to go for it, rather than sell pieces for draft picks.

If they took a package like that, awesome. I just don't think they are thinking what you think they are.I see them as a team looking to get better now.

While we have the forwards and picks to trade, I'm hung up on the idea of finding the next Shea Theodore, Girard, Sergachev. Guys who can be top Dmen and were moved just before making the NHL. If you were told McAvoy and Provorov would be the best Dmen in Boston and Philly this year, would you have even known them in Oct?

There are guys like Fabbro, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Makar who I like and are not really available. So I don't mention them. Then there are teams like Calgary that have 4 D prospects and needs at right wing and maybe C. Forget the draft, forget Hamilton. The Flames want to make some additions at forward. We like Adam Fox. HE'S UNSIGNED, not a factor for them this year and from NY. This is not an unrealistic ask. They have righties. They have Rasmus Andersson another RH prospect who is even more ready. This is the team we should be discussing a trade with.

I think management sees Chytil & Andersson as centers, and we also have Howden in the minors so going forward Center may not be the position we are looking at—Zibenajad, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Namestnikov, Spooner, Nieves—and I’m sure in the draft if we go best player available there will be 1 or 2 centers who will fall into our lap to secure us going forward so.....

Of course ALL that changes if we deal 1 or 2 of those guys.

Right, I don't see us trading for a C, nor should we take a C at #9 since BPA will be at another position. It is Montreal who is actively seeking centers, possibly in the draft, at the expense of BPA.

There was some interesting info coming out of the combine and the Black book is out. Mark Edwards has Veleno out of the 1st round. Button and others have published their final rankings too. Button has Brett Hayton at #7OA.

If anyone listens to "The Full 60" they had Dahlin, Zadina and Hughes. Zadina is an awesome listen. Smart, great personality and funny as hell. He's the guy we should zero-in on. He's performed in every situation he's been put in.

Measurements:

Svech 6'2 192 lbs - blew everyone away, crushed his tests. Sealed his fate as the #1 forward, probably why Canes announced.

Dahlin - 6'275 185 lbs - did 10 pullups. Sabres said there is no need to ever ask Dahlin about pullups ever again.

.........................................Guys that grew...........................

Kratsov - 6'3 and also climbing the rankings, good interviews

Bouchard - 6'350 189 lbswow, also top 25 in agility. He may not be fast, but not slow and his backward skating was as good as Dobson.

Rasmus Kupari - 6'150 190 lbs - much bigger than earlier listings, interesting player for Rangers

Filip Hallander - 6'175 188 lbs

------------------------------------------------

Liam Foudy - 6' 174 lbs tested 1st or 2nd on all the following : squats, agility left & right, explosive power, jump tests.

Kaut got sent home for heart condition - reported to be minor

Hughes was there, but did not participate AND did not even get measured?

Kotkaniemi - is climbing into the top 9. Did well in tests. Beyond interviews he had offsite meals with Montreal (3), Detroit (6) and Chicago (8).

Dobson continues to impress. Good combine and Mem Cup. Some at combine said a few teams have him 2nd among Dman

Boqvist may drop. He has had 2 concussions. Folks said he is extremely nice and very modest kid. Too modest, as he intimated he is a few years away from the NHL, like Elias Petersson did last year.

Tkachuk also impressed. I wouldn't pass him up once Svech and Zadina are gone.

Not a well kept secret that Detroit likes Bouchard, but also like Kotankiemi.

Press has said Montreal was all about centers and love Kotaniemi. Rumor was they may consider him at 3, worried they could lose him if they trade back.

Wahlstrom - 6'125 208 lbs - It was reported he said to teams that he has the best shot in the draft. He probably does. He's a good skater and stick handler. Does have a rep for floating. Has had great linemates to boost his numbers. Can forecheck, brings good size. Less impact in the D zone. Overall defense needs a lot of work.

Most of these guys have about 20+ interviews.

Articulate confident kid, admits one of his weaknesses.

Wahlstrom - 6'125 208 lbs - It was reported he said to teams that he has the best shot in the draft. He probably does. He's a good skater and stick handler. Does have a rep for floating. Has had great linemates to boost his numbers. Can forecheck, brings good size. Less impact in the D zone. Overall defense needs a lot of work.

Most of these guys have about 20+ interviews.

Articulate confident kid, admits one of his weaknesses.

Sounds like Ovechkin lite from his early days. I can like that.

He loves Ovi, said he sat and watched every minute of the pregame shows. here's the good news.

Watching the combine, plus a whole bunch of other interviews, one comes away so impressed with the 'character' of almost every top ten prospect. And many close to the top 10 like Hayton, Smith, Farabee who live and breathe hockey and have a noted work ethic. Things stand out about each one that increases the odds that they reach their potential. We are sitting in a sweet spot, even though we should be picking ahead of Chicago. :)

I was afraid Wahlstrom was going to be too cocky, but he'll be fine. He and Hughes have chemistry. Yet, Wahlstrom still stands out with a combination of offensive skills and nifty skating and puck work for a bigger guy. It is a good sign that he can forecheck and wants to get better off the puck. A year at BC (even though he is willing to skip college if his team asks) against older bigger kids and a new coach will be great for him.

I get the love for Wahlstrom. If he really works on his D, he could be a C. He is right handed too. If we draft him, I hope we tell him to play one year at BC.

He loves Ovi, said he sat and watched every minute of the pregame shows. here's the good news.

Watching the combine, plus a whole bunch of other interviews, one comes away so impressed with the 'character' of almost every top ten prospect. And many close to the top 10 like Hayton, Smith, Farabee who live and breathe hockey and have a noted work ethic. Things stand out about each one that increases the odds that they reach their potential. We are sitting in a sweet spot, even though we should be picking ahead of Chicago. :)

I was afraid Wahlstrom was going to be too cocky, but he'll be fine. He and Hughes have chemistry. Yet, Wahlstrom still stands out with a combination of offensive skills and nifty skating and puck work for a bigger guy. It is a good sign that he can forecheck and wants to get better off the puck. A year at BC (even though he is willing to skip college if his team asks) against older bigger kids and a new coach will be great for him.

I get the love for Wahlstrom. If he really works on his D, he could be a C. He is right handed too. If we draft him, I hope we tell him to play one year at BC.

I still have some worries about him. One of the first things I mentioned about Wahlstrom was his lack of long-term success. Most have his success has been living off of linesmates, and thats fine and dandy... if you have those linemates. Not to mention, that linemate is the hardest thing to find. His points per game increased over a .5 ppg after Hughes came up. To me, that could signal an issue because his lack of defensive play and needing an elite talent to be successful. You can go from Heatley to Heatley real fast in this league. He could wind up finding himself on the 3rd or 4th line for lack of productivity, real quick.

Archived