Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oilers Working to Trade Milan Lucic by "Sweetening the Pot"

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He has FIVE years left, dude. Five.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yeah, its a long time, but the player we pick at #10 could be a big part of the core in the next 15 years.

He's just 30 years, there is no reason he can't be productive till he's 35 (or atleast serviceble) and if the cap rises as much as lately 5m a year is not THAT much in 3-4 years. Can buyout out his last 1-2 years aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Yeah, its a long time, but the player we pick at #10 could be a big part of the core in the next 15 years.

He's just 30 years, there is no reason he can't be productive till he's 35 (or atleast serviceble) and if the cap rises as much as lately 5m a year is not THAT much in 3-4 years. Can buyout out his last 1-2 years aswell.
    Can't stand Lucic, but if it only cost us a 3rd rounder to reduce his cap hit down 1.75 mil. Or say they take back Bellesky and 1.2 retention. It's too tempting.

Assuming Kot is taken, having two of Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Boqvist or Dobson plus 26, 28, 39, 48 completes the load up. Not to mention next year's 1 and two 2's. Next we could offer attractive picks and/or players for an emerging Dman like Calgary's unsigned Fox or Andersson.

He'd be a motivated effective 4th liner or we bury him in the minors. He could choose to retire eventually. We could buy him out in a couple of years. The CBA will likely produce another amnesty on a cap contract. Their may be options. It comes with some pain, but we aren't getting a prospect like that w/o some kind of pain.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 06-13-2018 at 02:57 PM.

swamped Midget Division
    I just can't believe after finally getting rid of Richards, Girardi, etc contracts and potentially buying out Marc Staal we would willingly take on the Lucic albatross of a contract. How many bad contracts does this team need?
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Right now, bad short-term deals are a vehicle to acquiring more picks. That's a good thing. But there's a limit to the term of said bad contacts. Anything more than two years needs serious work to make work.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I just can't believe after finally getting rid of Richards, Girardi, etc contracts and potentially buying out Marc Staal we would willingly take on the Lucic albatross of a contract. How many bad contracts does this team need?
    Makes sense and you're right. Would be nice to move Staal's contract out in 2019-20. We have Bellesky, G's buyout and maybe Smith as more wasted space.

Shatty's salary (given his troubles defensively and that we have other offensive RHDs who struggle with D) is something we'd benefit from shedding.

That said, there is an allure of drafting back-to-back (top-line, top-pair) 18 y/o prospects. That doesn't happen everyday for us.

I resisted the idea till seeing all the interest in Kotkaniemi in the top 8. And then hearing the pundits say that basically Edm will have to send their #10 to get someone to take Lucic. Instead of a big ticket FA we do something like this with the space. We add something for some decent retention. Send him down if he isn't a team player and effective 4th liner.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I would absolutely take Lucic if the deal is right. rangers have 30 mil in cap space next season and if they’re going younger , cap space won’t be an issue for a little while anyway.

Depending on how much salary Edmonton retains, and what else they offer I would be very interested.

lucic has been in decline there’s no doubt but he still ads an element of toughness which this team lacks and another veteran presence can help a younger team (assuming we move others this off season).

lucic, 10th over all, half of his salary and another pick + prospect I think is do-able. Not sure what would go back the other way but 4 first rounders his year would be an awesome start to a rebuild.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123