• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BSBH Draft Rankings #6

josh

Best Option for the Rangers  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Best Option for the Rangers

• Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Evan Bouchard
    • Adam Boqvist
    • Noah Dobson
    • Joseph Veleno
    • Jesperi Kotkaniemi
    • Ty Smith
    • Trade up (Hughes)
    • Trade Down
    • Other:

Welcome to the BSBH Pre-Draft War Room

Rank the players, in order, in which we would want the Rangers to select.

The Rangers currently hold the 9th overall pick in the draft. Who should they take with the pick of the guys that might be available when its time to make their selection.

You want BPA? You think they should take a risk? Think they should trade the pick?

- Trade up and Trade down may only be selected once.

- Any trade up must be realistic

Trade Up Option: The trade up option is to be used when trading up in the draft (for a player we've already selected) is a better option than the players currently available to pick.

Trade Down Option: When the Rangers may benefit from trading down (realistically) to get multiple picks/prospects rather than selecting an option available.

1.) Rasmus Dahlin (47%)

2.) Andrei Svechnikov (44%)

3.) Filip Zadina (70%)

4.) Brady Tkachuk (56%)

5.) Quinton Hughes (30%)

Some links to Prospect information:

NHL.com Mock Draft - includes insight on prospects

NHL.com Prospect Rankings

Draft Analysis Prospect Profiles

I'm a bit torn on this one as I like Boqvist, Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom, but I think I'm taking Evan Bouchard with #6.

Just seems like a very complete player for his age, produces a truckload of points and shoots the puck like a fucking champion.

After Rasmus Hedman, each of the 4 dmen have unique styles/strengths and different weaknesses.

The thing to really love about Bouchard's game is his uncanny ability to read defenses when on offense. He sees all the passing and shooting lanes amazingly well, in the Ozone. His vision and awareness (head is always up) leads to constant golden opportunities. His excellent passing and shooting enables him to execute consistently. His ability to hesitate, fake and and see where the defenders are going is almost as if he is watching from above. He's became a leader because he really understands hockey and takes control of the attack. Combined with his super high character, willingness and effort it is no wonder his coaches and teammates view him, as their undisputed leader.

His downside is he is no where near the skater the other 3 are (or 4 if you include Ty Smith), even though he is not slow. He also will not dangle, display fancy stick handling or quickly explode between defenders like Boqvist or Hughes. He continues to improve as a defender and his hockey awareness and focus on fundamentals ensures he will become a good 2 way player. His upside comparable is more like a smaller Shea Weber then a guy like Josi or Yandle.

All that said, Josh's draft has gone pretty much to form and my pick has to be Boqvist. To me, he clearly has the biggest upside of anyone remaining. His unreal skating and skill set rivals Dahlin. Obviously, he lacks Dahlin's size and strength, but his upside recalls Brian Leetch and I can't pass that up. If he's only had one concussion, he's the pick.

Added note on Bouchard. If you watch a lot of his tape, particularly when he's putting up points, it is easy to see how often he makes the perfect play or forces a defender to commit and then takes the advantage.

BTW, supposedly Detroit is high on Bouchard. I would have thought they'd have their eyes set on the Michigan kid.

I think Boqvist is probably the most talented of the group... but I'm not sure he'll be the most effective. He most certainly could be a Karlsson like player... but, like most undersized Swedes playing against little kids, I have my doubts. Combined with his injury history, he just comes with too many red flags when there are several options available.

For me its still a defense man, and I like Bouchard over Dobson, today. He comes with a little more fire at both ends of the ice, giving him the slight edge in my book. Additionally, he seems to be closer to NHL ready than Dobson, and although most disregard this, my little brain can't. If these guys progress as expected, both should be great picks.

Yeah, I’d agree.

Boqvist I think has the highest ceiling, but he is virtually untested. It’s hard to say how his skillset transfers to a higher level. Although to be fair most scouts seems to reckon he’ll be fine.

Most scouts I’ve read thinks Bouchard will be given a shot in training camp this summer and could very well make the team whoever picks him. He seems to be as much a sure fire bet as you get at this stage.

Yeah josh, the first 5 dmen in this draft could all be top pair players.

Hughes is a possession monster who skates like the wind. He and Boqvist are the most dynamic and similar of the group. Karlsson like, they both can impact the offense starting in their own end. Hughes is smaller, but doesn't play like a midget. Does Boqvist have a real injury history or just one concussion? I don't know.

Bouchard is fantastic as the offense enters the zone and sets up. He also has a growing presence on D. Dobson's upside comparable is a right handed McD. At 6'3" with strong skating, quick recovery ability, playmaking and good stick work on D, he fits the mold. Yes, he's come on this year and he is not a refined scoring threat yet, but he has nice tools and has been consistently reliable this year. Opposition vouches that Dobson is for real.

When you add Wahlstrom to the mix, these 4 forwards and 5 Dmen set themselves apart. At least we are picking 9th, not 10th.

Yeah, I’d agree.

Boqvist I think has the highest ceiling, but he is virtually untested. It’s hard to say how his skillset transfers to a higher level. Although to be fair most scouts seems to reckon he’ll be fine.

Most scouts I’ve read thinks Bouchard will be given a shot in training camp this summer and could very well make the team whoever picks him. He seems to be as much a sure fire bet as you get at this stage.

Bouchard has had 2 excellent years with the London Knights and is mature for his age. He's been consistent, however he has not been tested against older players like Dahlin, Tkachuk or Hughes have. It might benefit Bouchard to begin in the A and work his way up to the big club as he demonstrates he is ready to make the 2nd jump. Let's not fuckup these kids dvelopment, just cause we need them. Why skip a step? Not saying you are advocating that Gravesy.

Bouchard still has plenty of development from his skating to his defense. Heck, if we landed Tkachuk or Hughes, I'd be OK if they decided to stay in school one more year. Bouchard has not played against that size or experience yet.

Wahlstrom. The fact that some here would take him even if they traded up.

If they can't trade up to get Tkachuk at a decent cost, this makes the most sense.

I'd be fine with passing on some of these tiny D men in Smith and Hughes in the top 10. I don't see any team passing on Bouchard it Boqvist. Dobson, Hughes and Smith are likely still on the board or just picked if the Rangers are still sitting at 9. Not sure I trade up for anything but Tkachuk or Bouchard realistically.

Bouchard has had 2 excellent years with the London Knights and is mature for his age. He's been consistent, however he has not been tested against older players like Dahlin, Tkachuk or Hughes have. It might benefit Bouchard to begin in the A and work his way up to the big club as he demonstrates he is ready to make the 2nd jump. Let's not fuckup these kids dvelopment, just cause we need them. Why skip a step? Not saying you are advocating that Gravesy.

Bouchard still has plenty of development from his skating to his defense. Heck, if we landed Tkachuk or Hughes, I'd be OK if they decided to stay in school one more year. Bouchard has not played against that size or experience yet.

I'm not really advocating anything, just saying that most scouts believe he is NHL ready - at least there or thereabouts.

I think Wahlstrom's our guy. I wonder how far up Kotkaniemi will go. I was hoping he would fall to us late in the first round, but I don't know if that's going to be the case.

He's really shot up the draft boards. I was originally hoping to move into the 15th pick area to get him, but I dont think he will be there.

Looks to be the 1st C to go. It's possible someone picks him before #9 since C's get overdrafted. Seems Montreal is interested, though their fans don't seem to think he'll be around by pick #9. I hope they are right, then two of 'my' top 9 will be available.

Better would be a deal. If the Habs take Zadina (or Svech) and Kot is there at 9, we send them the pick, their choice of Names or Spooner, plus pick 39 (or 28, if required) and a 4th rounder.

Archived