• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Excellent Article On Hank's 2017-18 Season

LeetchFan

Not paying...

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Kinda scary-3 of career stat comps closest to The King you have heard of (John Ross Roach?)-Curtis Joseph, Ryan Miller and Tony Esposito, ouch!

No great secrets; over the last 2 seasons his GAA jumped about .25 each season, while his Save Pct. stayed fairly consistent(.910-.920) over the 3 seasons. Simple math, he faced way more shots. Function of bad team defense, and to some degree not covering rebounds all that well.

Would like to hear he's working on his glove side; a lot of his GAA seem to be high to the glove side.May be that's true of a lot of goalies, but Euro ones who do not play baseball as kids antectdotally are less gooder with the glove.

Also, lots of nights he appeared to give up a goal in the first moments of a game. May not be all his fault in the sense the team wasn't ready to go(Thanks, AV!). Would like to see Quinn addresses this generally and Allaire and Lundqvist specifically adjust his approach.

More tellingly if subjective he is no longer in any conversations for All Star teams nor the Vezina. He isn't making THAT SAVE any more. And that is probably the difference in the standings between not making the playoffs and getting a 7 or 8 seed.

More tellingly if subjective he is no longer in any conversations for All Star teams nor the Vezina. He isn't making THAT SAVE any more. And that is probably the difference in the standings between not making the playoffs and getting a 7 or 8 seed.

I don't really get this post, but for this part...

There is no "THAT SAVE" in the last two seasons, because he has to make "that save" 10 times a game.

I don't really get this post, but for this part...

There is no "THAT SAVE" in the last two seasons, because he has to make "that save" 10 times a game.

Lundqvist has had a bunch of games where he kept his team in games, but also a lot of games when he gave up a back-breaking goal-early in a game,after a NYR goal, late in a game.

Yes, he is one of the best goalies in the world, but how much does that mean? Also wind up looking at his cap number and how that has impacted the roster.

He is no longer a goalie that is going to bail you out. That could change, we'll see. The 2017/18 team may have sucked balls in ways great and small,and there's only so much a goalie can do about it.

The Ottawa series last year, however, was a horror show by Lundqvist; looked a lot like 2012 vs. the Devils. Again, at what point in each that had to do with the team or the goalie, we could debate all day.

Scary that his 3 closest historical stat comps are guys who also failed to win a Cup.

Lol at "he is no longer going to bail you out." Do you not remember November, December and the first half of January? He had a 30-start stretch with a .930 sv% and played virtually every night. Hank was the entire team, and they went something like 20-10 over that time. I thought that stretch put to rest this whole ridiculous notion that he can no longer be elite.

The Ottawa series was the damn Wild West in front of him. They played 2 games with any structure and, voila, Hank had a .960 sv%.

Hank has had some bad games in recent years but I can't understand the need for people to constantly find ways to say that he shouldn't be on the Rangers, and his 3 nearest comps not winning Cups is a serious stretch, even for that argument.

Lol at "he is no longer going to bail you out." Do you not remember November, December and the first half of January? He had a 30-start stretch with a .930 sv% and played virtually every night. Hank was the entire team, and they went something like 20-10 over that time. I thought that stretch put to rest this whole ridiculous notion that he can no longer be elite.

The Ottawa series was the damn Wild West in front of him. They played 2 games with any structure and, voila, Hank had a .960 sv%.

Hank has had some bad games in recent years but I can't understand the need for people to constantly find ways to say that he shouldn't be on the Rangers, and his 3 nearest comps not winning Cups is a serious stretch, even for that argument.

I didn't say he should not be on the Rangers. At least until igor gets here, you need a goalie, he's making serious cap money and he can still be a very good one.

Granted what Curtis Joseph or Tony Esposito did or did not do doesn't mean a damn thing going forward.

Think a turnaround is very doable. Grant you the team around him matters a great deal, and on June 4th that really is unknowable.

I didn't say he should not be on the Rangers. At least until igor gets here, you need a goalie, he's making serious cap money and he can still be a very good one.

Then I guess I don't really understand your point. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Archived