• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BSBH Draft Rankings #5

josh

Best Option for the Rangers  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Best Option for the Rangers

• Noah Dobson
    • Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Adam Boqvist
    • Quinton Hughes
    • Jesperi Kotkaniemi
    • Evan Bouchard
    • Joseph Veleno
    • Trade Up (Tkachuk)
    • Trade Down
    • Other

Welcome to the BSBH Pre-Draft War Room

Rank the players, in order, in which we would want the Rangers to select.

The Rangers currently hold the 9th overall pick in the draft. Who should they take with the pick of the guys that might be available when its time to make their selection.

You want BPA? You think they should take a risk? Think they should trade the pick?

- Trade up and Trade down may only be selected once.

- Any trade up must be realistic

Trade Up Option: The trade up option is to be used when trading up in the draft (for a player we've already selected) is a better option than the players currently available to pick.

Trade Down Option: When the Rangers may benefit from trading down (realistically) to get multiple picks/prospects rather than selecting an option available.

1.) Rasmus Dahlin (47%)

2.) Andrei Svechnikov (43.75%)

3.) Filip Zadina (70%)

4.) Brady Tkachuk

Some links to Prospect information:

NHL.com Mock Draft - includes insight on prospects

NHL.com Prospect Rankings

Draft Analysis Prospect Profiles

If Wahlstrom fell to us at 9, I could not pass him up. But I doubt he'll fall that far.

I'd love to see what he could do at full potential... but I am wary of his on-going production. He seems to be a one-dimensional sniper (which we could certainly use), but this has only been the case for one season. And I believe he's played a majority of that time with a highly touted prospect. I don't want to necessarily call him a passenger, but I'd hate to draft a guy that can't carry the play, or make plays by himself, with a high draft pick. For me, I'd want to know I'm getting a game-breaker, can take over by himself and control a game, when needed. Not sure I see that in him.

I'm still picking Hughes, here. I think he's got the best skillset among the options. He can control the play, the offensive skills are undeniable. His size is a major concern, though, and how that may hinder his defensive game at this level is yet to be seen. Even so, I can see game-breaker in him. He also seems to make the guys around him better - which is something I love in top picks.

If those are the first four picks and we're selecting at #5, I'm probably choosing between Boqvist and Hughes, depending upon the combine, medicals, personal interviews and interviews with fellow coaches and players. Wahlstrom is the only forward left that I'd consider in the top 9, but I'd have to give the edge to these two dmen.

Both Dmen could eventually be stars. Boqvist recalls Brian Leetch. Hughes may be shortish, but he doesn't seem slight and takes command of the puck and possession as if he is not a short guys at all. There is a wave of shorter dynamic Dmen hitting the league following Spurgeon's lead. Girard, Butcher, Makar, Heiskanen, Mete, Hughes, Smith are some notable ones.

For me I think 9th will be Walstrom, 26th Noel, 28th Miller, 39th Kaut, 48th McIssac. The the first 2 Rd’s.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I will fly to New York and give Gorton a kiss if that happens. Unfortuntately I think Wahlstrom, Noel and Kaut (especially the last) will go before our picks. I would be fine with Kaut at 26th if he's available to be honest. Both Noel and Kaut's stocks been rising the last months. Noel now ranks 10th by NA skaters and Kaut is 4th by EU skaters behind just Dahlin, Boqvist and Kravtsov, no way he falls to 39th.

I will fly to New York and give Gorton a kiss if that happens. Unfortuntately I think Wahlstrom, Noel and Kaut (especially the last) will go before our picks. I would be fine with Kaut at 26th if he's available to be honest. Both Noel and Kaut's stocks been rising the last months. Noel now ranks 10th by NA skaters and Kaut is 4th by EU skaters behind just Dahlin, Boqvist and Kravtsov, no way he falls to 39th.

I mean what do rankings mean? Many had McIlrath top 20...

I will fly to New York and give Gorton a kiss if that happens. Unfortuntately I think Wahlstrom, Noel and Kaut (especially the last) will go before our picks.

It’s unlikely but certainly not out of the question that Wahlstrom is available at #9.

The top 3 is pretty much set. Then you’d imagine the next 4 picks will be Hughes, Tkachuk, Boqvist and Bouchard in whatever order.

If the Blackhawks like Dobson we’re there. Although gut feeling says they’ll pick Wahlstrom right under our noses.

What we?re basically trying to do is make up our own mock draft consisting of all our members so it in theory it should be better than just 1 person mocking it?everyone has there favorite so they?ll pick players they like higher but as a group we should be able to ween out those picks and come up with a more even list/mock.

I for one value speed, size and skill. Others don?t mind picking smaller players. For Example I would put Bouchard and Dobson over Hughes, Boqvist and Smith, other don?t. I just can?t see these smaller guys being able to clear the front of the net. Smaller guys also mean shorter reach and shorter sticks again harder to defend, block shots.

It’s unlikely but certainly not out of the question that Wahlstrom is available at #9.

The top 3 is pretty much set. Then you’d imagine the next 4 picks will be Hughes, Tkachuk, Boqvist and Bouchard in whatever order.

If the Blackhawks like Dobson we’re there. Although gut feeling says they’ll pick Wahlstrom right under our noses.

It is, but the chances of Wahlstrom, Noel and Kaut dropping are slim. Kaut will probably go first round (I would be fine taking him with #26 or #29) so I dont see him falling to #39.

Archived