Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I wouldn't be surprised if Shatty was named next captain of this team.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Shatty was named next captain of this team.
    That would be a massive mistake imo. Have somebody actually earn it or don't have one at all. Certainly don't gift it to someone based on a prior relationship in college no less. Holy crap that would be almost comical if it wasn't so brutal. If that's the kind of move Quinn would make I would bet we are introducing a new coach within three years, he's got to be smarter than that - hopefully.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    That would be a massive mistake imo. Have somebody actually earn it or don't have one at all. Certainly don't gift it to someone based on a prior relationship in college no less. Holy crap that would be almost comical if it wasn't so brutal. If that's the kind of move Quinn would make I would bet we are introducing a new coach within three years, he's got to be smarter than that - hopefully.
    What's comical and brutal are all the assumptions you're making.

As far as the captain goes. There are only two veterans on the team that have leadership experience. Shatty and Staal.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    When did he coach them?
    I don't think I said he coached them, but he has stated that he has a relationship with them. Maybe they work/worked with them over summers? Does he just know them from the Boston area? I mean hints at how he knows them and quite well.

On edit, yeah later I say they were his players. My bad, guess I should have checked on that. But he does seem close to them. Can anyone explain that?

assumptions like he hasn't earned it? How about he actually accomplishes something meaningful and productive here for let's get crazy and say maybe 1/2 to 3/4's of one season. Asking too much?

Or the one where I said don't have captain just to have one?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't think I said he coached them, but he has stated that he has a relationship with them. Maybe they work/worked with them over summers? Does he just know them from the Boston area? I mean hints at how he knows them and quite well.

On edit, yeah later I say they were his players. My bad, guess I should have checked on that. But he does seem close to them. Can anyone explain that?
    Unsuccessfully recruited Hayes.
    Coached against Hayes and Vesey in college.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Yes. He recruited for BU. He recruited Hayes, but Hayes went to BC. These colleges in New England compete for players and then play against each other. Come on Dude.

Just cause Quinn asked a former player he's kept in touch with, questions about the team, does not mean Shatty is lobbying for a letter. And it is a leap to start discussing a Captain. Shatty needs to work on his knee, conditioning and eventually his game. Guys have to make the team, the roster is fluid and is miles away from taking shape. Let's not worry about a Captain. Or assume Quinn has even given it a thought.

Also, Quinn said he hadn't spoken to players at his initial presser. I'm sure he's reached out and made contact with most already. Within a day of the presser he had spoken to Hayes and others. Let's not create narratives.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-30-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

Sidenote: How is Shatty putting his name in for a letter?
    Just don't like the ideas of pals running a ship. Seems like the business end goes out the window and people cover for each other more. Again. Ruff is still here. That's questionable.

Why does Quinn say he knows Hayes Vesey and Kreider? On what level is that to be taken. Sorry I didn't look to notice the different schools, and assumed the association with them was that. But for him to "know" two of the teams fatso's, is offsetting to me.

Shattenkirk seems to be saying a lot of the right things and I feel as though he's kinda stepping up to the helm with his comments past and present. Not many other veterans on the team to take a letter. I'd have no problem giving him the C for now. There's definitely worse options. It doesn't have to be permanent either. I'd say he will be closest to Quinn and simply take the role by default due to that closeness.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    assumptions like he hasn't earned it? How about he actually accomplishes something meaningful and productive here for let's get crazy and say maybe 1/2 to 3/4's of one season. Asking too much?

Or the one where I said don't have captain just to have one?
    TSN had an interesting discussion about captains not long ago, mostly in regard to Matthews becoming captain in TOR, and both Jamie McLennan and Jeff O'Neal said that it's a pretty overblown part of hockey. They suggested it matters more to the media than the players. That said, they also mentioned that the player picked has to WANT the added responsibility and play BETTER with the letter, not worse. They don't need someone to stand up and give a rah-rah speech but someone who can bring it every night and not take a night off.

In listening to this, I can't think of a single player that fits this description for NYR since Messier. Mac didn't seem to handle the responsibility well. Leetch didn't. Jagr didn't want it. Drury struggled. Etc. The next player has to WANT it. If that's Shattenkirk, then fine. Kreider? Staal? Fine. I don't think a young player should get it and I'd like the coach to choose when he deems it time rather than the organization do what they did to Mac.
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 05-30-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    GORTON 2020

Yes. He recruited for BU. He recruited Hayes, but Hayes went to BC. These colleges in New England compete for players and then play against each other. Come on Dude.

Just cause Quinn asked a former player he's kept in touch with, questions about the team, does not mean Shatty is lobbying for a letter. And it is a leap to start discussing a Captain. Shatty needs to work on his knee, conditioning and eventually his game. Guys have to make the team, the roster is fluid and is miles away from taking shape. Let's not worry about a Captain. Or assume Quinn has even given it a thought.

Also, Quinn said he hadn't spoken to players at his initial presser. I'm sure he's reached out and made contact with most already. Within a day of the presser he had spoken to Hayes and others. Let's not create narratives.
    His interview on NHL radio yesterday he said he hadnt reached out to the guys yet... but was able to speak with Shattenkirk a few times (I assume he's rehabbing at Rangers facility - where Quinn has been doing interviews, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    TSN had an interesting discussion about captains not long ago, mostly in regard to Matthews becoming captain in TOR, and both Jamie McLennan and Jeff O'Neal said that it's a pretty overblown part of hockey. They suggested it matters more to the media than the players. That said, they also mentioned that the player picked has to WANT the added responsibility and play BETTER with the letter, not worse. They don't need someone to stand up and give a rah-rah speech but someone who can bring it every night and not take a night off.

In listening to this, I can't think of a single player that fits this description for NYR since Messier. Mac didn't seem to handle the responsibility well. Leetch didn't. Jagr didn't want it. Drury struggled. Etc. The next player has to WANT it. If that's Shattenkirk, then fine. Kreider? Staal? Fine. I don't think a young player should get it and I'd like the coach to choose when he deems it time rather than the organization do what they did to Mac.
    I agree that in most cases it's an overblown concept. IMO, the captain doesn't need to be a rah rah guy, nor the best player. I thought Kelly Kissio was a good captain, and he was a low level talent but was looked at as a veteran presence that played hard. He was just an average skilled hard playing hockey player that accepted the role. (God those were the days, 78 points from a non elite player, holy fuck).

If they don't name a captain, I could care less. This team has found leadership from others in the room over the years.

I think Leadership is important. You need strong leaders in a lockerroom. The season is way too long and hard, and too easy to get distracted. Need someone that can stay on you, motivate you, etc. Not necessarily about the C, but leadership is even more important when you have a young group of guys.

#culture

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I think Leadership is important. You need strong leaders in a lockerroom. The season is way too long and hard, and too easy to get distracted. Need someone that can stay on you, motivate you, etc. Not necessarily about the C, but leadership is even more important when you have a young group of guys.

#culture
    Agreed in that it's important, but the captaincy is a very overblown concept. Because in recent years I feel they probably have gotten leadership from non captains or non letter men more so than the guys wearing the letters.

I thought if they brought in a vet like Iginla or Doan, this past season or last, there would be a bit more accountability from within, or someone else besides Lundquist to play harder for... I believe you thought something similar.

This notion of needing a complete roster of guys under 24 seems to be getting out of control. People want this current roster to get even younger. Can't do much more than what is already in place. Infact I want to sign some decent vets. Especially some hard nosed ones.

Senior Member Midget Division
    We need another 5-7 18 year olds. They should arrive in a month or so.

Who gives a fuck about some 30 year old vet right now. Dime a dozen.

Now if you want to find us some 22 to 26 y/o guys who still have their 5 best years ahead of them, I'm game.

We need another 5-7 18 year olds. They should arrive in a month or so.

Who gives a fuck about some 30 year old vet right now. Dime a dozen.

Now if you want to find us some 22 to 26 y/o guys who still have their 5 best years ahead of them, I'm game.
    Same here on the guys on their last leg coming in here and being given the C, Iginla and Doan? Hard pass. Taveras yeah, ok.

Same here on the guys on their last leg coming in here and being given the C, Iginla and Doan? Hard pass. Taveras yeah, ok.
    He mentioned those names when discussing the prior 2 seasons.

when we brought in Shannahan, it set the tone for years. Now is the time to do it. Give the kids a role model for a few seasons, show them the ropes and some old man tricks, and it does wonders for their growth

Iginla and Doan didn't even play this past season and in 16-17 Iginla was terrible and Doan a shell of himself. In their prime maybe but wasn't that a long time ago?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    "A Massive mistake"??? I dunno man, there aren't too many names on this roster right now capable of wearing a "C" other than Staal, who may just get a shot as well. Who else could you make a case for??? ....not that it's THAT important. But having a guy with some decent NHL leadership; certainly I believe Shatty is very capable of handling that, and I'm sure he'd "earn" it.

The guy is a pretty good player as well.

To be honest, I would be ok with Staal as well. But seriously, naming a captain is FAR from the largest issue with this franchise!!!

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    I would guess Zuccarello for captaincy. I feel like if they planned on trading him it would have happened at the deadline when he was worth the most. I would not be surprised if they extended him and gave him the C at this point.
    Last edited by rmc51; 05-31-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Iginla and Doan didn't even play this past season and in 16-17 Iginla was terrible and Doan a shell of himself. In their prime maybe but wasn't that a long time ago?
    Not everyone needs to be an all-star. No they weren't as productive as in their heyday, but the way they go about the game, and how they prepare is an element that could maybe have helped this team or any other. It's not always about production when you're talking about what I'm trying to discuss.

Role model, leader, guy to play for to try to get him a cup, a vet to push to get more out of him. Some sort of structure/ belief to rally the room around.

I'm not looking for a guy to put in the top six. I'm looking for a guy to plug in in the bottom six, that could maybe slide up.

Is Hartnell available this summer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast