Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,203
    Rep Power
    70
    Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

    It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

    I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

    Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?

  2. #22
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,617
    Rep Power
    268
    I thought it was Skjei living with Hayes and Vesey...???
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #23
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,029
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Buchnevich, with one BIG caveat: signing Kovalchuk. I'm not a fan of giving Kovy a shitload of money for a long term (any more than $6 mil per year for two years and he can take a hike), but I think he would do wonders for Buch. Firstly, he's a national hero and definitely someone Buch would aspire to emulate. Second, he would drastically increase the comfort level. Right now, having Kreider "speak Russian" probably isn't doing a hell of a lot for Buch adjusting to the NHL.

    If you compound having a "mentor" of that caliber, with a coach that's patient with mistakes and willing to use him as a skill player like he's meant to be used, I think you could see him really flourish. Especially if you do a line with Kovalchuk and Buch as the wingers.

    Other than that, pretty much every defenseman stands to benefit. Especially Pionk and DeAngelo.
    Vadim Shipachyov as the center?
    Or Datsyuk?
    Or should we trade to get Malkin or Kuznetsov?
    Lol, all in jest
    LGR!

  4. #24
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

    It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

    I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

    Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?
    I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

    Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.

  5. #25
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,617
    Rep Power
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

    Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.
    He may not be able to “change” a player’s abilities, but from what I hear coming out of his mouth, he’s certainly going to make them work harder.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #26
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He may not be able to “change” a player’s abilities, but from what I hear coming out of his mouth, he’s certainly going to make them work harder.
    Certainly possible.

    If guys weren't working hard or worse yet not even in shape I think that speaks volumes about the player. Bad enough if it's Kessel (who's somehow continued to produce) but if it's a young player that hasn't done much to begin with that's a guy I would rather not have.

    I hope Quinn turns out to be a magician.

  7. #27
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,617
    Rep Power
    268
    He looks like he’d practice magic in his spare time.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #28
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    16
    There's hope as long as he's anti-Doritos.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,203
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

    Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.
    I don't have an answer to that. I don't know. There may be one or a few. But if this guys forte is working with young players and development, then he better have some sort of impact on how the roster performs.

    I don't see this as new coach, new attitude, but who cares about the results. This guy better be able to reign in the Anderssons, Pionks, Chytils, Skjeis, DeAngelos, Veseys, Hayes, Kreiders, Zibs, and Buchs, and make them be prominent players in this process. Thats what I'm expecting. This roster is ridiculously young as it is. If he doesn't connect, then what? Is it the locker room of guys he knows a bunch about and groomed into what they are/were before they ever made it? Or is it the locker rooms fault and not the coach who has connection's with big pieces of the roster?

    He has a sort of an in/pre relationship with at least 4 players I know of. Maybe more. Nevermind the in he has with Gorton and Drury, which makes me a little uncomfortable with how management will evaluate the results.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,203
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He looks like he’d practice magic in his spare time.
    Definitely Dr Strange like

  11. #31
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,203
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Certainly possible.

    If guys weren't working hard or worse yet not even in shape I think that speaks volumes about the player. Bad enough if it's Kessel (who's somehow continued to produce) but if it's a young player that hasn't done much to begin with that's a guy I would rather not have.

    I hope Quinn turns out to be a magician.
    That's what bothers me. Vesey and Hayes are his former players ON THIS ROSTER and they already have a rep of being out of shape and not being good locker room guys. Isn't that why they kinda gave away Miller? But now the guy who's responsible for the earlier development of some fat fucks is the guy the team is entrusting it's future in? This doesn't bother anyone? The guys that are supposedly bad locker room guys are the guys most recently connected to the guy that is supposed to be changing the status quo?

  12. #32
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,617
    Rep Power
    268
    When did he coach them?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  13. #33
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,732
    Rep Power
    490
    If they work hard and defend competently, they'll be light years better.

  14. #34
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,714
    Rep Power
    137

    Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That's what bothers me. Vesey and Hayes are his former players ON THIS ROSTER and they already have a rep of being out of shape and not being good locker room guys. Isn't that why they kinda gave away Miller? But now the guy who's responsible for the earlier development of some fat fucks is the guy the team is entrusting it's future in? This doesn't bother anyone? The guys that are supposedly bad locker room guys are the guys most recently connected to the guy that is supposed to be changing the status quo?
    Must’ve been tough for him to coach at BU while Vesey and Hayes were playing at Harvard and BC
    Last edited by Vodka Drunkenski; 05-29-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  15. #35
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,701
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I thought it was Skjei living with Hayes and Vesey...???
    I'm still waiting for clarification on the other thread. Too often you just shit out an off-handed comments and leave. Not sure why it's tolerated, honestly.
    GORTON 2020

  16. #36
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,907
    Rep Power
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Must’ve been tough for him to coach at BU while Vesey and Hayes were playing at Harvard and BC
    Duh, they were all in the same state at the same time.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  17. #37
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,714
    Rep Power
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Duh, they were all in the same state at the same time.
    I guess they have similar jersey colors too
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  18. #38
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

    It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

    I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

    Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?
    Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

    Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

    What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

    The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

    How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

    Sidenote: How is Shatty putting his name in for a letter?

  19. #39
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

    Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

    What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

    The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

    How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

    Sidenote: How is Shatty putting his name in for a letter?
    Let's not forget Sather, as far as I know he's still around to possibly ass things up. So based on the above being Ruff apparently has a relationship with them is he's now good to go here as we move forward? I certainly hope not.

    There's no defending the initial post saying Quinn has coached Hayes and Vescey.

    We can stare into the crystal ball for the next 4-5 months but only time will tell what we really have here moving forward.

    Hoping for the best and excited to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 05-30-2018 at 03:15 PM.

  20. #40
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,617
    Rep Power
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Dude you need to research, regroup and rethink your whole post. Your assumptions are wrong. The only Ranger who played any regular hockey for this coach is Shatty.

    Am I comforted that Drury and Gorton have known the guy for 20+ years? You better fuckin believe it! It is about time our GM, Asst GM and HC are all on the same page and will be making evaluation decisions together. Too often mgmt has one thing in mind with a prospect or new acquisition and the coach has another.

    What is the point of having an experienced guy like Gorton, with tons of hockey contacts in New England, if we can't tap his network or knowledge. Same for Drury and his network. I'm comforted that our mgmt is having hockey conversations with people outside the organization. I like our trades with the Bruins this year. I'd like to trade with Chiarelli some time. I want more college free agents. So should you.

    The Rangers needed to change the locker room to a more hands-on guiding affair. Not some self policing room of Cup Champions. Quinn is a good communicator and teacher. Quinn is an active relationship builder. His players have called him a caring but tough father figure. His practices are hard, he emphasizes fundamentals and sets high expectations.

    How can you possibly expect the room to be a good ole boys club? The Rangers made numerous moves clearing out a lot of personnel. They were inclined to move Miller at the deadline, to improve the room asap. I'm sure anyone else mgmt is concerned about will be moved, especially if Quinn notices something concerning. Being in top shape will be mandatory. If Smith, Vesey or Hayes can't run a 10K they might as well not show. Hopefully they all have been read the riot act, pre Quinn. Quinn will not tolerate that or a country club atmosphere. Noticed Shatty and Hayes look slimmer already.

    Sidenote: How is Shatty putting his name in for a letter?
    Quinn has mentioned that he's talked to Shattenkirk a few time during several interviews. He says he's discussed the lockerroom and leadership with him.

    What I find strange, is that Quinn keeps repeating that he hasnt talked to any of the other guys since the annoncement... I know it's been a quick week, with a holiday - but I think I'd expect some form of communication between player and coach.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •