• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Which Rangers Benefit Most Under Quinn?

Phil

The majority of Quinn?s coaching experience comes in working with young players. His NCAA resume with the Boston University Terriers and his time in the AHL with the Lake Erie Monsters saw him developing young talent, many of whom would go on to begin successful careers in the NHL.

Quinn preaches a puck possession game that has become the standard of success in the NHL. This style requires all five skaters to contribute at both ends of the ice. He said as much in a letter to Rangers fans.

Tony DeAngelo

While DeAngelo struggled to gain Vigneault?s trust until management scrapped the season, he will have every opportunity to play in a more prominent role under Quinn. Quinn has likely seen it all in terms of player attitude, and if his no-nonsense style can rein in DeAngelo, the defender stands to prosper in a puck possession system.

DeAngelo is a creative passer and can carry the puck up ice. While his play may be risky at times, a coach willing to work with young players and not punish them for every mistake will give DeAngelo the room he needs to further develop his game.

Jimmy Vesey

After near-identical production of 27 and then 28 points in his first two NHL seasons, Vesey had struggled to escape a bottom-six role. Over those two seasons, Vesey had shown flashes of the kind of player he might develop into. With hard-nosed play around the net and a willingness to compete in the tough areas of the ice, Vesey added a new dimension as an agitator to his game this past season.

Vesey?s developed mean streak would fit that description. With an increased role with the team, his offense will have a chance to thrive. He could find himself the prototypical forward in Quinn?s puck-possession system.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ny-rangers-quinn-benefit-youth/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who?s doing well in the minors/HFD

Some regular roster members ought to be well suited too.

Agree, absent any high profile FA signings Vesey gets another chance for top-6 minutes and a chance to lead by example. But if sulking jimmy and it could be adios Jimmy.

Ty Ronning ... hoping he makes a mark in camp/Hartford and gets an early taste of the NHL and an early look. He?s 20 already, a prodigious scorer and a ridiculously athletic human. Check his Instagram @tronn7 for some glimpses , or don?t.

Pionk? Hopefully a sophomore slump doesn?t strike him, but he?s a top candidate to support the offense.

Shattenkirk if he stays/isn?t traded.

Zucc. Spooner. Maybe the question ought to be which roster members won?t thrive.

Kein Hayes? Known possessor of the puck?

Quinn might have to get him to distribute sooner, though.

Jesper Fast ... still young... still improving. Chance to rise up the lineup.

Buchnevich. Maybe? I hope he does well, anyone feel he is in an ?up or out? situation or does he get more time?

Sad thing is the truest test is the playoffs and it?s hard to tell what a player is really made of. Until then, a lot of it is guesswork. Fast starts can be so tantalizing and ultimately disappointing...but I get ahead of myself.

Miller. Shit. Took the low hanging fruit.

Seriously though hopefully Buchnevich, Vesey, DeAngelo and any other who operated under the pick and choose accountability that av proved again and again. Another is Brendan Smith who av had no love for but player himself into the ahl.

I wouldn't be shocked if at some point he tries DeAngelo at forward. He moved Oksanen around from defense to forward while at BU.

Speaking of, I wonder if the Rangers don't flirt with Oksanen again?

Miller. Shit. Took the low hanging fruit.

Seriously though hopefully Buchnevich, Vesey, DeAngelo and any other who operated under the pick and choose accountability that av proved again and again. Another is Brendan Smith who av had no love for but player himself into the ahl.

Smith - should have been the first name mentioned.

I just hope Q can also allow for offensive creativity for guys like Buchnevich and co. Don?t need a system that stifles that growth

I wouldn't be shocked if at some point he tries DeAngelo at forward. He moved Oksanen around from defense to forward while at BU.

To me, Deangelo plays the game like a defenseman. Gilroy and Gilmour lurk and skate a bit differently, but I never watched Tony d and thought, hey let?s try him up front!

To me, Deangelo plays the game like a defenseman. Gilroy and Gilmour lurk and skate a bit differently, but I never watched Tony d and thought, hey let?s try him up front!
This is a common narrative regarding offensive defenseman. It's never really based in reality. People suggested Boyle and MDZ as forwards. Why? No reason other than "Let's try an offensive player at forward!"

Same with Shatty and ADA. Why would anyone try them at forward? Nothing in their game suggests that would be smart.

Offensive defenseman often think the game differently and need to see the play develop in front of them.

People like Byfuglien and Burns are just chuckers. They're good enough to play defense but their offense comes from a big shot that they always take from anywhere. Chuckers.

Buchnevich, with one BIG caveat: signing Kovalchuk. I'm not a fan of giving Kovy a shitload of money for a long term (any more than $6 mil per year for two years and he can take a hike), but I think he would do wonders for Buch. Firstly, he's a national hero and definitely someone Buch would aspire to emulate. Second, he would drastically increase the comfort level. Right now, having Kreider "speak Russian" probably isn't doing a hell of a lot for Buch adjusting to the NHL.

If you compound having a "mentor" of that caliber, with a coach that's patient with mistakes and willing to use him as a skill player like he's meant to be used, I think you could see him really flourish. Especially if you do a line with Kovalchuk and Buch as the wingers.

Other than that, pretty much every defenseman stands to benefit. Especially Pionk and DeAngelo.

I'm not sure who will benefit the most, but I do think it will be evident pretty quickly. In turn, that will give us a pretty good indication of how successful Quinn is likely to be as a coach.

Define quickly. You’re going to have an opinion on who, what, where, and why in a small time frame? Fail

If Vesey doesn’t improve he should be shipped out. That’s if he’s not this summer. Guys sucks and I hate his rat face.

He ended the season 20 lbs overweight. Fuck that Dorito eating bitch.

Buchnevich, with one BIG caveat: signing Kovalchuk. I'm not a fan of giving Kovy a shitload of money for a long term (any more than $6 mil per year for two years and he can take a hike), but I think he would do wonders for Buch. Firstly, he's a national hero and definitely someone Buch would aspire to emulate. Second, he would drastically increase the comfort level. Right now, having Kreider "speak Russian" probably isn't doing a hell of a lot for Buch adjusting to the NHL.

If you compound having a "mentor" of that caliber, with a coach that's patient with mistakes and willing to use him as a skill player like he's meant to be used, I think you could see him really flourish. Especially if you do a line with Kovalchuk and Buch as the wingers.

Other than that, pretty much every defenseman stands to benefit. Especially Pionk and DeAngelo.

I think this is spot on. I'd go so far as to say if Buch DOESN'T flourish with Quinn and a Russian mentor, he's just not gonna be that good. We put a lot of stock in him because he was basically the only forward worth talking about in the system but it's possible he goes the Anisimov route and never really takes that next step. This next season will be a big one for him.

I'm excited to see D'Angelo and Pionk as well. In all honesty, I'm excited to see players not stapled to the bench for the rest of the game when they fuck up on their second shift.

Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?

Vadim Shipachyov as the center?

Or Datsyuk?

Or should we trade to get Malkin or Kuznetsov?

Lol, all in jest :slats:

Am I the only one a little nervous about the relationship's that already exist with this coach, whom they needed to pry away from his happy home/job, with years and money.

It's already been said he's close with Gorton and Drury. Drury is close to Ruff, who btw hasn't officially been let go... Then there's Quins relationship with two players who have been said to have poor work ethic and aren't good locker room guys in Hayes and Vesey. This dude groomed that. Two guys who held out and didn't sign with the team that drafted them, then reportedly ended the season as fat fucks.

I mean he's said he knows Kreider, who i think works out like a mad man, and Shattenkirk seems to like talking him up while seemingly putting his name into the ring for a letter or captaincy... These seem like good things.

Are the Rangers about to change the locker room and front office into a good ol boys club of friends buddies and former players?

I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.

I don't think Quinn is going to have the overwhelming impact on making most of these guys significantly better. I think more often than not in many cases they will continue to produce (or not) at pretty close to the same pace. I don't think there's a silver bullet here, there's still dead weight and a bunch of unknowns. The process could take a few years just to get back to being a threat to potentially go a few rounds every year and that's if they do it right imo.

Who's the last college coach to come in and significantly raise the play of the majority of the roster and new draft picks. Not being a wise ass in any way. I think it was definitely time for a change but I also hold the players accountable as well as AV.

He may not be able to “change” a player’s abilities, but from what I hear coming out of his mouth, he’s certainly going to make them work harder.

Archived