• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If the Idea is a Full Rebuild/Youth Movement...

Then who's on board with these deals?:

To Minn: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)

To NYR: 2018 1st (#24) and Tyler Ennis

Rationale: Minn needs to resign Dumba and Zucker this offseason, you can be sure they don't want to pay Ennis $4.6M to play on their 4th line. One of our RFA's would be an upgrade over Ennis, improving their depth, without much more in cap hit.

To Dallas: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)

To NYR: 2018 2nd (#44), Jason Spezza, and a prospect (say Jason Robertson)

Rationale: While Dallas has a lot of cap space at the moment, they only have 13 players signed. They probably won't give of the 13th pick to save money, but I doubt they're excited about paying Spezza another $7.5M for

These two just have one year left. I'm not worried about taking a roster spot from a kid because these guys don't even have to play. I'm on board with eating a bad deal (1 or 2, maybe 3 years max), to add some more assets to work with.

As I went to start this thread I was thinking there would be more bad contracts in the 2 year range, but there are limited options. Bobby Ryan and Milan Lucic just have too many years left. Dustin Brown just had an Eric Staal-esque resurgence. Maybe next summer Boston looks to move Krejci as they have a bunch of RFA's to resign.

Minnesota would be an excellent trading partner for the Rangers right now. They are in cap hell if there ever was one. They need to go all in now maybe more than any other team. They are going to go into a rough 4-5 year drought soon with those Parise/Sutter contracts.

Theyre set with draft picks. More draft picks creates additional roster/cap issues in the future.

Management has also said they are looking at 20/21 year olds to get younger, faster and more skilled... so I think we need to be careful and cognizant when we discuss "full on rebuild youth movement"

As for those trades. No. I'd rather bridge Spooner and Namestnikov on 1 or 2 year deals, get playing time out of them, and look to flip at the deadline, if necessary. I'm certainly not trading Hayes for a late first and baggage. Names and Spooner can easily increase their trade value with a good performance.

Minnesota would be an excellent trading partner for the Rangers right now. They are in cap hell if there ever was one. They need to go all in now maybe more than any other team. They are going to go into a rough 4-5 year drought soon with those Parise/Sutter contracts.

They also got a new GM. Not sure the smartest move is to trade away a 1st rd pick if you anticipate a "rough 4-5 year drought soon", especially not for Spooner or Namestnikov.

They also got a new GM. Not sure the smartest move is to trade away a 1st rd pick if you anticipate a "rough 4-5 year drought soon", especially not for Spooner or Namestnikov.

Well you've got to go one direction or another. Do you waste whatever is left of Parise/Sutter/Koivu/etc in hopes you hit pay dirt with a late 1st that pans out 4-5 years down the road, or do you trade it? If I'm the Minnesota GM, I'm doing what I can to win next year. There is too much money invested in that approach - and there isn't an easy way to reverse course with those contracts.

Personally, I think the proposed deal by the OP is an excellent one for both sides. I would give them Spooner, but not either of the other two. And while I agree they have enough draft picks, I wouldn't want them to take the #24 and sit on it. I would envision them packaging a couple of 1sts to either A) move up or B) get a cost controlled 20-24 year old player.

If a guy is named the GM and immediately trades his 1st rd pick for RFA Spooner, he should be fired.

The contracts between the 2 are a wash, but at least Ennis is coming off the books next summer. You dont know know what Spooner gets.

Plus they dont have a 2nd round pick.

Spooner is not going to get 4.6 mill per season. If a GM gives him that, then he should be fired too. Minnesota has to figure out how to free up some space. They could probably bridge Spooner for 3-3.5 per. That extra 1-1.5 million saved makes a big difference for resigning the players they have.

They have almost 10m in space to re-sign Dumba and Zucker.

They'd be better off buying out Ennis and saving 2m than trading away a first to save 1m in cap space for 1 season.

Wild contracts are staggered nicely so they have cap coming off the books every offseason. There is no need for them to be trading away their first, this season, for nothing.

Then who's on board with these deals?:

To Minn: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)

To NYR: 2018 1st (#24) and Tyler Ennis

Rationale: Minn needs to resign Dumba and Zucker this offseason, you can be sure they don't want to pay Ennis $4.6M to play on their 4th line. One of our RFA's would be an upgrade over Ennis, improving their depth, without much more in cap hit.

To Dallas: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)

To NYR: 2018 2nd (#44), Jason Spezza, and a prospect (say Jason Robertson)

Rationale: While Dallas has a lot of cap space at the moment, they only have 13 players signed. They probably won't give of the 13th pick to save money, but I doubt they're excited about paying Spezza another $7.5M for

These two just have one year left. I'm not worried about taking a roster spot from a kid because these guys don't even have to play. I'm on board with eating a bad deal (1 or 2, maybe 3 years max), to add some more assets to work with.

As I went to start this thread I was thinking there would be more bad contracts in the 2 year range, but there are limited options. Bobby Ryan and Milan Lucic just have too many years left. Dustin Brown just had an Eric Staal-esque resurgence. Maybe next summer Boston looks to move Krejci as they have a bunch of RFA's to resign.

These are just not realistic at all. Spooner? Namestnikov? Hayes? These players are not getting a 1st let alone a 1st and a player. I'm all for taking on bad contracts (Bobby Ryan) but I don't think Minnesota or any team for that matter is going to be shipping their picks for RFAs

Theyre set with draft picks. More draft picks creates additional roster/cap issues in the future.

Management has also said they are looking at 20/21 year olds to get younger, faster and more skilled... so I think we need to be careful and cognizant when we discuss "full on rebuild youth movement"

As for those trades. No. I'd rather bridge Spooner and Namestnikov on 1 or 2 year deals, get playing time out of them, and look to flip at the deadline, if necessary. I'm certainly not trading Hayes for a late first and baggage. Names and Spooner can easily increase their trade value with a good performance.

That;s not true at all. There is no such thing as too many top 50 draft picks. A) Some may not pan out. B) Just because a group of players are all drafted in the same year, doesn't mean their ELC's will all start at the same time. C) If all the picks work out and we're unable to sign them all, that means we'll have quality pieces to trade.

They have almost 10m in space to re-sign Dumba and Zucker.

They'd be better off buying out Ennis and saving 2m than trading away a first to save 1m in cap space for 1 season.

Wild contracts are staggered nicely so they have cap coming off the books every offseason. There is no need for them to be trading away their first, this season, for nothing.

Dumba is 23 and just put up 50 points playing ~24 minutes a night. Zucker just score 30 goals. Dudes are getting paid.

These are just not realistic at all. Spooner? Namestnikov? Hayes? These players are not getting a 1st let alone a 1st and a player. I'm all for taking on bad contracts (Bobby Ryan) but I don't think Minnesota or any team for that matter is going to be shipping their picks for RFAs

It's not just about the player they're getting. Its about freeing up cap space. If Dallas can get someone to take Spezza it puts them in the mix for Tavares.

Ryan's contract is to long. How long are we going to be doing this? You want to pay mid-30's Bobby Ryan over $7M four years from now?

I kinda wanna see what Hayes does under a new coach. I kind of like how he played at the tail end of the season when vigneault let up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'd like to kick the tyres again on Names and Spooner -- it's interesting they all seem to have around the same point production and can all play center.

I like the way Spooner adapted to playing here. I like the way that Hayes flipped the switch from assist-making to goal scoring last season.

I was disturbed and extremely disappointed how Namestnikov just disappeared with 4 points (after a promising first couple of games) during his 19 games versus Spooner's 16.

the body language and verbal language vibes in his so-called breakup day interview was concerning for me.

If he's that seemingly disinterested in being here -- or has that lack of excitement ... adios amigo; don't let the door hit you on the way out. My question is does he need to be with Stamkos/Kucherov to produce. Too many questionmarks and red flags for me. No denying he has talent but he'd be my first option to trade.

Disclaimer: I don't share the frequently expressed "Hayes hate" of some others here. Frustration yes, but hate no. I want this guy to do well, especially on a team of smurfs... I just wish he'd throw a few more hits, and maybe even punches (shock, horror!) and be someone who more visibly sticks up for teammate. He showed he could box in the ring during offseason training last year or the year before. Maybe he will never be that player, but I wish he'd channel little brother Zuccarello and big brother Brian Boyle, if he did, he has the talent/tools to be a far more valuable and productive player. Come on Kevin, you can be a 60 point player if you get out of your head and into the game 100 percent, nearly every game. This 45 point limbo is unbecoming of you.

1st off Seems like Hayes was one of the first ppl Quinn mentioned as having a good relationship with, knowing his family and stuff. So I can,?t see gong anywhere. yes Quinn seems like the type of guy that wants to play fast and physical ala Nash., Wash. etc. but I?m sure Hayes is one of those guys that he will keep.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived