Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: If the Idea is a Full Rebuild/Youth Movement...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76

    If the Idea is a Full Rebuild/Youth Movement...

    Then who's on board with these deals?:

    To Minn: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)
    To NYR: 2018 1st (#24) and Tyler Ennis

    Rationale: Minn needs to resign Dumba and Zucker this offseason, you can be sure they don't want to pay Ennis $4.6M to play on their 4th line. One of our RFA's would be an upgrade over Ennis, improving their depth, without much more in cap hit.

    To Dallas: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)
    To NYR: 2018 2nd (#44), Jason Spezza, and a prospect (say Jason Robertson)

    Rationale: While Dallas has a lot of cap space at the moment, they only have 13 players signed. They probably won't give of the 13th pick to save money, but I doubt they're excited about paying Spezza another $7.5M for < 30 points.


    These two just have one year left. I'm not worried about taking a roster spot from a kid because these guys don't even have to play. I'm on board with eating a bad deal (1 or 2, maybe 3 years max), to add some more assets to work with.
    As I went to start this thread I was thinking there would be more bad contracts in the 2 year range, but there are limited options. Bobby Ryan and Milan Lucic just have too many years left. Dustin Brown just had an Eric Staal-esque resurgence. Maybe next summer Boston looks to move Krejci as they have a bunch of RFA's to resign.

  2. #2
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,635
    Rep Power
    268
    Ryan - Spezza - Kessel
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #3
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,032
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Ryan - Spezza - Kessel
    That's our second line, cause the first is Zucc - Tavares - Kreider
    ...
    .........
    LGR!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    28
    Minnesota would be an excellent trading partner for the Rangers right now. They are in cap hell if there ever was one. They need to go all in now maybe more than any other team. They are going to go into a rough 4-5 year drought soon with those Parise/Sutter contracts.

  5. #5
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,635
    Rep Power
    268
    Theyre set with draft picks. More draft picks creates additional roster/cap issues in the future.

    Management has also said they are looking at 20/21 year olds to get younger, faster and more skilled... so I think we need to be careful and cognizant when we discuss "full on rebuild youth movement"

    As for those trades. No. I'd rather bridge Spooner and Namestnikov on 1 or 2 year deals, get playing time out of them, and look to flip at the deadline, if necessary. I'm certainly not trading Hayes for a late first and baggage. Names and Spooner can easily increase their trade value with a good performance.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #6
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,635
    Rep Power
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Minnesota would be an excellent trading partner for the Rangers right now. They are in cap hell if there ever was one. They need to go all in now maybe more than any other team. They are going to go into a rough 4-5 year drought soon with those Parise/Sutter contracts.
    They also got a new GM. Not sure the smartest move is to trade away a 1st rd pick if you anticipate a "rough 4-5 year drought soon", especially not for Spooner or Namestnikov.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They also got a new GM. Not sure the smartest move is to trade away a 1st rd pick if you anticipate a "rough 4-5 year drought soon", especially not for Spooner or Namestnikov.
    Well you've got to go one direction or another. Do you waste whatever is left of Parise/Sutter/Koivu/etc in hopes you hit pay dirt with a late 1st that pans out 4-5 years down the road, or do you trade it? If I'm the Minnesota GM, I'm doing what I can to win next year. There is too much money invested in that approach - and there isn't an easy way to reverse course with those contracts.

    Personally, I think the proposed deal by the OP is an excellent one for both sides. I would give them Spooner, but not either of the other two. And while I agree they have enough draft picks, I wouldn't want them to take the #24 and sit on it. I would envision them packaging a couple of 1sts to either A) move up or B) get a cost controlled 20-24 year old player.

  8. #8
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,635
    Rep Power
    268
    If a guy is named the GM and immediately trades his 1st rd pick for RFA Spooner, he should be fired.
    The contracts between the 2 are a wash, but at least Ennis is coming off the books next summer. You dont know know what Spooner gets.
    Plus they dont have a 2nd round pick.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    28
    Spooner is not going to get 4.6 mill per season. If a GM gives him that, then he should be fired too. Minnesota has to figure out how to free up some space. They could probably bridge Spooner for 3-3.5 per. That extra 1-1.5 million saved makes a big difference for resigning the players they have.

  10. #10
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,635
    Rep Power
    268
    They have almost 10m in space to re-sign Dumba and Zucker.

    They'd be better off buying out Ennis and saving 2m than trading away a first to save 1m in cap space for 1 season.

    Wild contracts are staggered nicely so they have cap coming off the books every offseason. There is no need for them to be trading away their first, this season, for nothing.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    28
    Not sure where you are getting 10 million. ~7.3 million according to Capfriendly.

    They won't fit Zucker and Dumba both with 7.3 million.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,701
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Then who's on board with these deals?:

    To Minn: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)
    To NYR: 2018 1st (#24) and Tyler Ennis


    Rationale: Minn needs to resign Dumba and Zucker this offseason, you can be sure they don't want to pay Ennis $4.6M to play on their 4th line. One of our RFA's would be an upgrade over Ennis, improving their depth, without much more in cap hit.

    To Dallas: One of our RFA's (Hayes, Names, Spooner)
    To NYR: 2018 2nd (#44), Jason Spezza, and a prospect (say Jason Robertson)


    Rationale: While Dallas has a lot of cap space at the moment, they only have 13 players signed. They probably won't give of the 13th pick to save money, but I doubt they're excited about paying Spezza another $7.5M for < 30 points.


    These two just have one year left. I'm not worried about taking a roster spot from a kid because these guys don't even have to play. I'm on board with eating a bad deal (1 or 2, maybe 3 years max), to add some more assets to work with.
    As I went to start this thread I was thinking there would be more bad contracts in the 2 year range, but there are limited options. Bobby Ryan and Milan Lucic just have too many years left. Dustin Brown just had an Eric Staal-esque resurgence. Maybe next summer Boston looks to move Krejci as they have a bunch of RFA's to resign.
    These are just not realistic at all. Spooner? Namestnikov? Hayes? These players are not getting a 1st let alone a 1st and a player. I'm all for taking on bad contracts (Bobby Ryan) but I don't think Minnesota or any team for that matter is going to be shipping their picks for RFAs
    GORTON 2020

  13. #13
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,687
    Rep Power
    423
    Hayes would. By himself. Unequivocally.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #14
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,701
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Hayes would. By himself. Unequivocally.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I... don't agree. What are some comparables?
    GORTON 2020

  15. #15
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,687
    Rep Power
    423
    For what, young, productive skaters getting first-round picks?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Theyre set with draft picks. More draft picks creates additional roster/cap issues in the future.

    Management has also said they are looking at 20/21 year olds to get younger, faster and more skilled... so I think we need to be careful and cognizant when we discuss "full on rebuild youth movement"

    As for those trades. No. I'd rather bridge Spooner and Namestnikov on 1 or 2 year deals, get playing time out of them, and look to flip at the deadline, if necessary. I'm certainly not trading Hayes for a late first and baggage. Names and Spooner can easily increase their trade value with a good performance.
    That;s not true at all. There is no such thing as too many top 50 draft picks. A) Some may not pan out. B) Just because a group of players are all drafted in the same year, doesn't mean their ELC's will all start at the same time. C) If all the picks work out and we're unable to sign them all, that means we'll have quality pieces to trade.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,701
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    For what, young, productive skaters getting first-round picks?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Someone with Hayes' stats getting a first, yes. I may be wrong but a 1-time 25 goal scorer without a contract doesn't seem like 1st territory to me.
    GORTON 2020

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They have almost 10m in space to re-sign Dumba and Zucker.

    They'd be better off buying out Ennis and saving 2m than trading away a first to save 1m in cap space for 1 season.

    Wild contracts are staggered nicely so they have cap coming off the books every offseason. There is no need for them to be trading away their first, this season, for nothing.
    Dumba is 23 and just put up 50 points playing ~24 minutes a night. Zucker just score 30 goals. Dudes are getting paid.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,262
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    These are just not realistic at all. Spooner? Namestnikov? Hayes? These players are not getting a 1st let alone a 1st and a player. I'm all for taking on bad contracts (Bobby Ryan) but I don't think Minnesota or any team for that matter is going to be shipping their picks for RFAs
    It's not just about the player they're getting. Its about freeing up cap space. If Dallas can get someone to take Spezza it puts them in the mix for Tavares.

    Ryan's contract is to long. How long are we going to be doing this? You want to pay mid-30's Bobby Ryan over $7M four years from now?

  20. #20
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,687
    Rep Power
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Someone with Hayes' stats getting a first, yes. I may be wrong but a 1-time 25 goal scorer without a contract doesn't seem like 1st territory to me.
    Hanzal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •