• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Reportedly Looking to Trade Phil Kessel

Phil

The Penguins are reportedly trying to trade Phil Kessel, according to 105.9 FM's Mark Madden.

Madden made the statement on his 105.9 FM radio show yesterday.

According to Madden, the Penguins are going to try to move Kessel to another team this offseason, and "Kessel is OK with that."

As Madden phrased it, "the key word is try." He couched the chances of a potential deal happening because of Kessel's $6.8 million price tag and his reputation of being a hard player to coach.

Madden cited "sources close to the Penguins and to Phil Kessel." His explanation for Kessel's endorsement of a potential trade stems from two points.

The first of which is Kessel's alleged displeasure over the fact that he hasn't been able to play on a line with Evgeni Malkin full-time, instead being used as the balancing point for head coach Mike Sullivan to spread his top talent over three scoring lines.

The second is "underlying dissatisfaction" between Kessel and Sullivan.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/13688857-74/penguins-reportedly-looking-to-trade-phil-kessel?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20tribunereviewpenguins%20(Penguins%20Stories)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Add some scoring power to a rebuilding Rangers squad?

Alright Buddy, you trying to stir up some shit?

Phil, Boomer and his partner on Sirius were talking about how Pitt was looking to move Kessel a few days back, if not last week. So this was out there already.

If you can get the Pens to retain, I'd rather trade for Kessel than sign Kovalchuk.

I think the hard to coach stuff is overblown. Sullivan never should have dicked around and moved Kessel from Malkin's wing. Guy had freaking 92 points this year and couldn't lock down a top-6 spot in the playoffs lol.

well, its not going to be the Rangers, and he's the last thing this team needs.

I could see Vegas going after him, if Neal/Perron leave.

Kings if they dont want to give up. Or Ducks swapping a contract for the same reason.

Calgary is looking for top-end wings.

He's got an 8-team trade list, so the options will be limited.

If you can get the Pens to retain, I'd rather trade for Kessel than sign Kovalchuk.

I think the hard to coach stuff is overblown. Sullivan never should have dicked around and moved Kessel from Malkin's wing. Guy had freaking 92 points this year and couldn't lock down a top-6 spot in the playoffs lol.

Why? This is simple economics. Kovalchuk costs you money. Kessel costs you assets. That you are sending to a division rival.

Kings if they dont want to give up. Or Ducks swapping a contract for the same reason.

I could totally see CGY going after Kessel.

If he comes to NY, how many hot dogs will he get from Gray?s?

I’ve got a big soft spot for the fat bastard, but he’s the antithesis of a Vegas player. Unless Gallant is looking to rip it all up they should go nowhere near him.

Why? This is simple economics. Kovalchuk costs you money. Kessel costs you assets. That you are sending to a division rival.

B/c Kovalchuk is 35 and hasn't played in America in 6 years and wasn't even a ppg player over his last 3 seasons.

I'd rather give up assets for a player we know is good, than just hope Kovalchuk is good. Assets don't mean anything if you don't use them on something.

In general, I wouldn't want either of them.

B/c Kovalchuk is 35 and hasn't played in America in 6 years and wasn't even a ppg player over his last 3 seasons.

I'd rather give up assets for a player we know is good, than just hope Kovalchuk is good. Assets don't mean anything if you don't use them on something.

But in this case, trading for Kessel would mean giving up assets we want going forward. They're obviously not going to give up Kessel for any old shit like our RFA's.

So quite clearly, going for Kessel have an impact on the rebuild that taking a punt on Kovalchuk doesn't.

Kessel. He's a child.

I’ve got a big soft spot for the fat bastard, but he’s the antithesis of a Vegas player. Unless Gallant is looking to rip it all up they should go nowhere near him.
just trade some of the team dead meat for Kessel,I rather have him than kovy

But in this case, trading for Kessel would mean giving up assets we want going forward. They're obviously not going to give up Kessel for any old shit like our RFA's.

So quite clearly, going for Kessel have an impact on the rebuild that taking a punt on Kovalchuk doesn't.

Acquiring either one of them means not really worrying about "going forward."

Acquiring either one of them means not really worrying about "going forward."

Unless I'm reading this wrong, signing Kovalchuk (or similar FA) for a short term, without losing assets, and knowing he will be off the books in 1 or 2 seasons - possibly via trade that brings back picks or prospects - does not hinder any forward movement.

a 4year deal near $7m... I can see you making a case against that, especially at the cost of picks/prospects.

If Kovalchuk is that valued around the league why wouldn't a contender sign him after July 1st and why would he rather come play here on a team that's likely to go through some rough times? Makes little since if the guy is serious about trying to win a cup. Are there no contenders that would offer him the same 1-2 year deal?

If Kovalchuk is that valued around the league why wouldn't a contender sign him after July 1st and why would he rather come play here on a team that's likely to go through some rough times? Makes little since if the guy is serious about trying to win a cup. Are there no contenders that would offer him the same 1-2 year deal?

Can't that be said about any vet, though?

I don't think it's too hard to understand why someone might come here. Once youve been around the league long enough, you know the good organizations. NY has its perks over other teams and other cities. If he's looking for a short-term deal, why not NY? Get traded to a contender at the deadline - sweet. The city, the team, the lack of travel, the exposure, the money, the advertisements, etc. And it's NY, and the Rangers. They are not going to stay bad forever.

Can't that be said about any vet, though?

I don't think it's too hard to understand why someone might come here. Once youve been around the league long enough, you know the good organizations. NY has its perks over other teams and other cities. If he's looking for a short-term deal, why not NY? Get traded to a contender at the deadline - sweet. The city, the team, the lack of travel, the exposure, the money, the advertisements, etc. And it's NY, and the Rangers. They are not going to stay bad forever.

Simply because if there's interest from a contender and he wants to win he should go there. If he's coming here because we're going to overpay

him compared to any other deals he might be offered than I would want him here even less (and I don't care how much cap space we have, it doesn't mean they can't spend it elsewhere). No they're not going to be bad forever but I didn't realize we were now offering a forever contract, so I'm confused by your if he's looking for a short term deal and then pointing to the team not being bad for ever.

Archived