Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Penguins Reportedly Looking to Trade Phil Kessel

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No one is suggesting 5OA in the deal. Mike and I agreed a first is needed which is why a lottery-protected 2019 makes the most sense.

Lottery-protected 2019 first, Domi for Kessel straight up is a fair trade all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I just find it very hard to trade either for a 31 y/o when youíre not even close to contending. However, I would be okay with signing him similar to to Kovalchuk.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    IMO, Coyotes aren't about to be competitive - or close to contender status, to where they should contemplate trading young roster players or top/first round draft picks on a Kessel-like player. We saw Kessel as the go-to guy on a "rebuilding" Toronto team. Maybe I dont remember everything, but that didnt work out too well. I think Arizona would be entered that same territory.

Perhaps AZ management believes they are going to be contenders, and are trying to make a deal for a guy that will be there in seasons 3 and 4 to be a complementary player past his prime with some playoff experience.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    Kessel wouldn't be the go-to guy in ARZ. It would be Keller.

But I don't buy that ARZ can't be competitive next year. Based on the second half of the year, there's not much to separate them from any team other than WPG and Nashville.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Kessel wouldn't be the go-to guy in ARZ. It would be Keller.

But I don't buy that ARZ can't be competitive next year. Based on the second half of the year, there's not much to separate them from any team other than WPG and Nashville.
    Still, concluding that they are going to be competitive next season because their "best stretch" was close to 16th in the league is extremely optimistic.
    To add perspective, between the end of October through December, the Rangers were the best team in the league, pacing 122 points.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Still, concluding that they are going to be competitive next season because their "best stretch" was close to 16th in the league is extremely optimistic.
    To add perspective, between the end of October through December, the Rangers were the best team in the league, pacing 122 points.
    I'm not concluding that, just saying that it's a possibility. I'd say the same thing about the Rangers if they hadn't blown it up.

The Arizona stretch, from Feb 8 to the end of the season, was 29 games and has a better chance to carry over into next year than what the Rangers did, they're a youngish team that found their footing, rather than an aging team who had to rebuild after the stretch.

And saying they were close to 16th is being purposely misleading lol. They were the same distance away from 4th as they were 16th.
    Last edited by Future; 05-31-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    You dont trade Domi and a 1st for a 31 year old Kessel to maybe be competitive. He is a good player, but he is not as good as his numbers in Pittsburgh. He is not a game changer.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Kessel is a game changer for a team that can't score.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    I don't think he has the same impact or numbers on Arz a perennial also ran team. He may break the scales on a team that hasn't done much of anything for how long now.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Multiple​ sources have confirmed to The​ Athletic​ that​ Phil Kessel, while perfectly willing to​ remain​​ with the Penguins, isnít opposed to a trade that would end his time in Pittsburgh.

His preferred destination for a trade, though, appears to be out of the running.

Kessel would be willing to play for the Arizona Coyotes because of his relationship with head coach Rick Tocchet.

However, the Coyotes have informed the Penguins that such a transaction isnít likely to happen for financial reasons. Kessel is owed $6.8 million per season for four more years ó the Maple Leafs are responsible for the other $1.2 million of his contract ó and the Coyotes simply arenít willing to take on that kind of money. Arizona management told the Penguins it is intending on merely reaching the salary cap floor during the 2018-19 season.
    https://theathletic.com/399288/2018/...ins-via-trade/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Arizona is pathetic. They will absolutely never win. What a joke.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Junior Division
    Edmonton? For their first and Lucic at 50% retained salary?

All that statement means is that they're going to as Pitt to retain salary, not that they're going to write off Kessel completely. Idk if that would work for Pitt, because they probably want to free up room to push for Carlson or something, but this is far from ARZ saying "no," especially since Kessel, without retention, only puts them ~$4m over the floor (if it's $60m).

It's seems especially like posturing because they'll likely be well over the floor next year anyways.
    Last edited by Future; 06-20-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123