Poll: Who Wins the Cup?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 SCF | Las Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Seems to me the entire hockey world is completely caught up in the Vegas story so Iím not sure I follow you there.
    I kind of have to agree here and still not sure why people are so angry about it.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I kind of have to agree here and still not sure why people are so angry about it.
    In most cases it appears to be a cocktail of bitterness mixed with entitlement.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I don’t hear about them much, other than on nhl radio 24/7. I hear more about Ovi.

I still think last years cup final got more hype than this one.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    In most cases it appears to be a cocktail of bitterness mixed with entitlement.
    Pretty much. It's almost always followed by charges of "cheating" (the draft), and "being given" a good team. These are often the same folks who laughed at their roster coming out of the draft when the rest of the world was calling for them to be a lottery team.

The fact of the matter is, Vegas winning would be insane for hockey and the NHL. They've already set numerous records for a first-year expansion club. Winning a championship in year one would cement this moment in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

2017-2018 SCF | Las Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

The Vegas story is great for hockey. I was originally against this expansion but itís certainly taken on a life of its own and gaining national coverage which is great for the sport.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Caps in 5. They are hungry.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Caps in 5. They are hungry.
    Iím hoping for Vegas but I feel like the caps will take it in the end. I think 7 though

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Fuck I wish the game was tonight. Mike and I were talking last night about how much more enjoyable the playoffs are without the anxiety of watching the Rangers
    Ha ... true dat. (For now, at least).
    I hope this series is not a blowout for either team.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Before games 6 & 7 of the ECF I was convinced that whoever won would be chucked in to the Vegas grinder and spat out in 5. Now Iím not so sure.
    This Caps team has found a gear I donít think anybody predicted they had. Theyíre faster, younger and play harder than the previous teams that failed. And Ovi looks like a man on a mission.

Iím tempted to go Caps in 6 as well.
    Iím wondering how wore down the Caps might be after both giving and receiving an awful lot of nasty hits and slapshot impacts.

I would not bet against Vegas, they seem to be so dialed-in offensively.

...but if Washington wins they will have done it the hard way, beating all kinds of teams and talents.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Itís a business and while that is obvious it doesnít mean the leagues business interest is aligned with the fans interest. As a fan I want to see the best hockey possible. I want to see excellence when watching the best hockey league in the world. In the name of business the nhl has decided parity is the big money winner. Arguments can be made in favor of parity for sure but in my mind parity is just another way of saying mediocre. Vegas winning is the ultimate proof that the league by and large team by team is average. The fact that a bunch of unwanteds can take down the entire league without much resistance speaks volumes about the worth of other players and teams league wide.

I totally understand the high interest and that this is a great story for Vegas. For the nhl as a whole it makes every front office look like clowns and that yes a monkey can do their jobs. The owners look like they viewed the 500m split to be more important than winning if the cost of receiving that money was losing valuable assets.

The worst part of all this is that this story will lead to more expansion. While that is great for the league and their interests it does not align with mine. The talent will be watered down even more, the game will become even more vanilla. There are plenty of reasons for relocating a number of nhl franchises. That is what should happen for the integrity of the game. That should have been how Vegas was born. 500m said different. The integrity of the nhl cost 500m

Vegas winning is not my issue. Vegas existing as an expansion team is. The coyotes should be playing there.
    Last edited by Fatfrancesa; 05-27-2018 at 08:02 AM.

And another thing. All the crap about the great atmosphere and the amazing interest in the city. No fucking shit. They went Wire to wire in first place and have lost 3 games in the playoffs. Let me see their atmosphere and interest when their franchise misses the playoffs for a decade. I’m sure the people in Vegas will stay loyal. It’s not like they have entertainment choices there.

I would root for the isles to beat them.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

2017-2018 SCF | Las Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

That could be said for any team, in any sport. This doesnít make the entire league look dumb, it only makes Florida look dumb for letting Gallant go.
    Last edited by Vodka Drunkenski; 05-27-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Itís a business and while that is obvious it doesnít mean the leagues business interest is aligned with the fans interest. As a fan I want to see the best hockey possible. I want to see excellence when watching the best hockey league in the world. In the name of business the nhl has decided parity is the big money winner. Arguments can be made in favor of parity for sure but in my mind parity is just another way of saying mediocre. Vegas winning is the ultimate proof that the league by and large team by team is average. The fact that a bunch of unwanteds can take down the entire league without much resistance speaks volumes about the worth of other players and teams league wide.

I totally understand the high interest and that this is a great story for Vegas. For the nhl as a whole it makes every front office look like clowns and that yes a monkey can do their jobs. The owners look like they viewed the 500m split to be more important than winning if the cost of receiving that money was losing valuable assets.

The worst part of all this is that this story will lead to more expansion. While that is great for the league and their interests it does not align with mine. The talent will be watered down even more, the game will become even more vanilla. There are plenty of reasons for relocating a number of nhl franchises. That is what should happen for the integrity of the game. That should have been how Vegas was born. 500m said different. The integrity of the nhl cost 500m

Vegas winning is not my issue. Vegas existing as an expansion team is. The coyotes should be playing there.
    I kind of see the point you're going for but I don't think it really applies.

I admittedly have only watched a handful of games but Vegas is a fast and fun team to watch. It's not like old expansion where teams are playing clutch and grab hockey like the Wild were doing for a decade.

Contrast that to the Capitals who basically trapped their way to the final in Game 6 vs Pitt and 7 vs TB.

Also to call them a team of unwanteds is pretty disingenuous. The expansion rules made sure teams had to to make tough choices and expose good players. I'd take a Neal, Perron, Theodore or Schmidt on my team. Even a Reilly Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    And another thing. All the crap about the great atmosphere and the amazing interest in the city. No fucking shit. They went Wire to wire in first place and have lost 3 games in the playoffs. Let me see their atmosphere and interest when their franchise misses the playoffs for a decade. Iím sure the people in Vegas will stay loyal. Itís not like they have entertainment choices there.

I would root for the isles to beat them.
    I mean even the Blackhawks couldn't fill the rink and some games weren't even televised when they missed the playoffs for a decade.

Somebody asked for the argument against Vegas so I gave one. I’m really not very consumed by it because teams tanking for a decade to build talent isn’t a great look either. For sure my “rooting” which is very loose wording is because it just seems wrong that a “fan base” gets the ultimate thrill when there are fan base waiting 50 years or longer for the same.
    Vegas winning isn’t the issue to me. Vegas winning does however make you second guess every supposed hockey Mind currently working a front office job. On a ranger note it makes me really question paying big money for ufas when obviously there is capable players obtainable currently wasting away in every Nhl organization. Vegas proves that cup or not at this point.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    To a degree. However Vegas got to essentially pick players without having to give up and players or think about what's in their pipeline.

Also McPhee is a pretty good and well established GM. It's not like the front office and coach are rooks.

The only lesson to be learned really is that any team that plays hard and is committed to one goal can be successful.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Vegas winning is sort of like a team like the Kansas City Royals winning a championship. Basically nobody would care other than their extremely small base.

Nobody cares who wins any championship except for their own fans. Yes, Iím sure Florida has more Ranger fans than Vegas fans, but itís not consuming their state or major cities like it would here. Rooting for a certain team thatís left in the playoffs doesnít mean you really care unless youíre rooting against a rival maybe. Iím sure Sharks and Ducks fans didnít want to see the Kings win, but they were probably over it soon after.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

swamped Midget Division
    Both are great stories - Ovi vs the cinderella team in its first year, just pick which story you like better.

I'm rooting for Ovechkin to finally get his Cup.

I give credit for the Caps for gritting things out, but they've had to fight tooth and nail to get through lesser teams in the East.

Vegas made one of the best teams in the league (Winnipeg) look impotent. They've demolished some great teams in the West. And I think they are heads and shoulders above the Caps.

I think Vegas is going to take this in 5 games, and they are going to continue their steamroll to the Cup. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great series.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Both are great stories - Ovi vs the cinderella team in its first year, just pick which story you like better.

I'm rooting for Ovechkin to finally get his Cup.

I give credit for the Caps for gritting things out, but they've had to fight tooth and nail to get through lesser teams in the East.

Vegas made one of the best teams in the league (Winnipeg) look impotent. They've demolished some great teams in the West. And I think they are heads and shoulders above the Caps.

I think Vegas is going to take this in 5 games, and they are going to continue their steamroll to the Cup. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great series.
    I wouldn't call Pittsburgh and Tampa "lesser"...

Boston fans are Racist and Arrogant Squirt Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybô View Post
    I'm excited as fuck for this series. Many storylines.
    - Ovi's first cup appearance
    - Vegas' inaugural season
    - These two goalies
    - The Vegas goalie thing at the beginning of the season (Subban, Legace)
    - The Caps goalie thing at the beginning of the playoffs (Grubauer vs. Holtby)
    - 4th to 1st liner Tom Wilson

I think:
    1) You are rooting for Ovi to get his first cup.
    2) You are rooting against Ovi to get his first cup.
    3) You love the Vegas story and you want them to win the cup.
    4) You hate the Vegas story and you want them to lose the cup.

Pick two. I'm 2 and 3. Fuck Ovi. Love Vegas. hahahhaa
    This has been a season of great headlines. Look at what we end with.

swamped Midget Division
    I wouldn't call Pittsburgh and Tampa "lesser"...
    Pittsburgh had Malkin and Kessel banged up, but they were definitely the best competition.

Stamkos and Kucherov became non-factors as the series went on, and the other lines didn't compensate. I guess you can give credit to Washington for shutting them down. Didn't see much from Miller/Girardi/Callahan except for shotblocking. McDonagh banged up as well.

In the West you have physical teams with talent - in the East it's usually physical OR talent.

Nashville, Winnipeg, etc are heads and shoulders above Pittsburgh, Tampa, and the rest of the East IMHO.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast