Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It’s not a NHL head coach’s job to develop players. That’s for guys like me and Jay, and then up the ranks at the next level. Lower age levels keep preparing them for the next age level. NHL is the end game. With that said, there are guys who know the x’s and o’s better than others, some can explain it better than others, some can’t. A guy with a great understanding of something isn’t always the best teacher. I admittedly struggle in some of those areas. It depends on what part of the game it is. You get to a point where it’s like “Don’t do what I say, do what I mean”. Then your guys turn around on the bench and look at you crosseyed.
    True. Yet, isn't this changing and couldn't it be said that it isn't their primary job. However, the league and teams are getting younger, faster. and more talented, among other things. The point being, coaches are almost forced to bring along 19, 20 and 21 y/o's that they might not have in the past.

More importantly guys like Chytil or Lias or Pionk (or look around the league) are going to see time on rebuilding or retooling teams. These kids are not finished products and don't always get all the skill training or system coaching they need to reach their potential in the NHL. Bottom line, we are all always learning, or else we are losing ground. These kids fresh out of college or the A or other lesser leagues have so much more to learn and improve on then a 5 year vet.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Guy sounds like a wonderful college coach...

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    True. Yet, isn't this changing and couldn't it be said that it isn't their primary job. However, the league and teams are getting younger, faster. and more talented, among other things. The point being, coaches are almost forced to bring along 19, 20 and 21 y/o's that they might not have in the past.

More importantly guys like Chytil or Lias or Pionk (or look around the league) are going to see time on rebuilding or retooling teams. These kids are not finished products and don't always get all the skill training or system coaching they need to reach their potential in the NHL. Bottom line, we are all always learning, or else we are losing ground. These kids fresh out of college or the A or other lesser leagues have more to learn and improve then 5 year vets.
    Well yeah, but they need to know how to play a 200’ game properly. Maybe I should have been more clear, my bad. It’s like I said before, I struggle to explain shit sometimes.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

And can we stop using the word “deploy” ? It makes my nuts shrivel up. Leave that shit for the professional twitter bloggers.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Welcome to a Bantam practice.
    Ha, I knew you were gonna say that. Frankly, there are some drills and skills that need to be practiced whether it is at the highest or lowest levels.

As for Quinn's practices and teachings, his players say he really focuses on effective skill development drills. What do I know, I'm not there. Maybe there are some youtube vids of his practices, but I got work to do.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

David Quinn (BU) Expected to be Named Next Rangers' Head Coach

Well yeah, but they need to know how to play a 200’ game properly. Maybe I should have been more clear, my bad. It’s like I said before, I struggle to explain shit sometimes.
    You’re under the assumption that everyone passed Hockey 101
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Guy sounds like a wonderful college coach...
    I don’t disagree with your feelings at all, but you never know until you try, so I hope he grabs it quick.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Ha, I knew you were gonna say that. Frankly, there are some drills and skills that need to be practiced whether it is at the highest or lowest levels.

As for Quinn's practices and teachings, his players say he really focuses on effective skill development drills. What do I know, I'm not there. Maybe there are some youtube vids of his practices, but I got work to do.
    Drills don’t change much from Bantam to the NHL. They’re all similar just with different variations here and there.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don’t disagree with your feelings at all, but you never know until you try, so I hope he grabs it quick.
    Like I said, I don't know anything about him other than what's hear. It's not making me feel warm and fuzzy.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Now I see why Ruff wasn’t fired
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Drills don’t change much from Bantam to the NHL. They’re all similar just with different variations here and there.
    Exactly. I deleted a similar sentence assuming those of us who played many years of sports have experienced this. We always groaned about certain drills that never seemed to go away. Most fundamentals don't change, but you know this.

Vodka, who are you referring to regarding hockey 101? I hope it is me, because the rest of the board may not be as fluent as you about practices, coaching, and X's and O's etc. Assuming it is me, you know some drills are similar throughout the years and it is the variations or the coach trying to make it interesting that often differs. Then you get Fred Shero. Or whoever. Some of the coaches coming up are not from the old guard and may, god forbid, bring new twists and ideas to coaching. Especially when given a young roster filled with 1st and 2nd year players and the mandate to develop them into a winner.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I think it's fine. I also wanted Keefe, but c'est la vie. I don't think, despite their representations to the media, that the organization has any legitimate expectation of being a playoff team next season. If they're looking to bring in a guy to get fresh NHL players in to their comfort zone while they adapt to the game, and then maybe 2-3 years from now you bring in someone else, it's all part of the process.

I have no objection to focusing on grooming young talent vs being the next Scotty Bowman. We just need to have patience as a fanbase, which is admittedly a tall order at the World's Most Famous Arena. I'm happy to see at least that the organization has committed wholesale to the long-term development of a contender.

Bottom line: if on the 1-10 scale Keefe would've been a 9, this is a 6.5 - 7.0 for me. Might not be the perfect scenario, but it's definitely not a BAD choice. Plus, I'm interested to see if GMJG has brains to back up that enormous head of his. He's out from under Sather's boot for the most part. If this is part of some master plan we're not privy to, I'm interested to see how it pans out.

The game has changed in many forms over time. There are a lot more younger players entering the league than in years past, even goaltenders. These kids are so dynamic that they put them in the show and leave it up to the coach to develop them on the fly, which isn’t really fair at this level to either party. The player might need another year or 2 learning things that a head coach in the NHL that’s trying to win games and keep his job is expected to “develop” him. We’ve had this happen right in front of our faces with Kreider, Miller, and Zuc just to name a few. But it was Torts and AV’s fault, right? Look at the results of those 3 being sent down to develop, regardless of anyone’s personal opinion, they’ve all turned into pretty good NHL players. So who ended up being right, Torts & AV or the idiot fans cursing them for not “playing the kids”. The kids played this year. How’d you like them apples?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    The only thing that worries me with Quin is his lack of professional experience behind the bench. Its been a while since he had anything to do with the AHL, and the game has changed a lot since he was in the A. As Mike said, his job isn't to develop players, its to get them to play to their potential at the highest level. I hope he works out, but as someone else stated, this deal is too long for a guy that has a lot to prove in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    The only thing that worries me with Quin is his lack of professional experience behind the bench. Its been a while since he had anything to do with the AHL, and the game has changed a lot since he was in the A. As Mike said, his job isn't to develop players, its to get them to play to their potential at the highest level. I hope he works out, but as someone else stated, this deal is too long for a guy that has a lot to prove in the NHL.
    Or maybe the FO is giving him next year as a throw away to develop some guys, which will be a huge mistake if done intentionally. You’ll have a hard time convincing a Tavares or Kovalchuk to come here to sit through a year or possibly more of that shit. Tavares has been doing that his whole NHL career. Might as well stay in LI.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Or maybe the FO is giving him next year as a throw away to develop some guys, which will be a huge mistake if done intentionally. You’ll have a hard time convincing a Tavares or Kovalchuk to come here to sit through a year or possibly more of that shit. Tavares has been doing that his whole NHL career. Might as well stay in LI.
    Totally agree. Your not going to be able to bring in that high level UFA on a total rebuild and a coach learning the league.

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Ne'er do well college player, edges of the AHL as defenseman, AHL coach and NHL assistant, ties to USA hockey and then college coach. Sounds a lot like Peter Laviolette. And really if he was on the market, he would be the guy.

Recruitment in the sense you can get players to buy into what you're doing shouldn't be discounted. Somewhat concerning that he never won a Frozen 4, but this guy is in demand. Wait and see. Little hard to damn him before his first practice much less games that matter.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    He was an ahl coach for 3 years with lake eerie and asst coach with the avs for a season... not to mention BU. He’s not exactly inexperienced. I like this hiring but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Ne'er do well college player, edges of the AHL as defenseman, AHL coach and NHL assistant, ties to USA hockey and then college coach. Sounds a lot like Peter Laviolette. And really if he was on the market, he would be the guy.

Recruitment in the sense you can get players to buy into what you're doing shouldn't be discounted. Somewhat concerning that he never won a Frozen 4, but this guy is in demand. Wait and see. Little hard to damn him before his first practice much less games that matter.
    All NHL coaches have similar resumés as far as their playing and coaching career levels. No one is discrediting what he’s done. Plenty of guys out there would cut a finger off for those accomplishments. It’s just a discussion on what to expect.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Now I see why Ruff wasn’t fired
    Pretty sure he was.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast