Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I’m more than fine giving him that much for 2 years.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Same here. I feel like two years, $6M per is perfectly fine. It's an acceptable number for a veteran scorer and a short enough term to not be problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes. Any honest, respectful offer for Kovalcuk begins with 5, if not 6. Given the volume of cap room the team has, if they're serious about adding him, they need to treat the situation accordingly and not play fuckaround games in trying to save a few bucks.
    Oh I definitely wasn't trying to fuck around and suggest to play games. Honestly, I'm not sure fair value on him is much more than 4 mil. 6 mil for 2 years seems a bit excessive and may be hard to trade. He's not a 2 way player, he's old, not part of the future and is 7 years removed from the NHL. Maybe the cap going up forces me to rethink salaries.

Let's keep this in perspective. We still have other players to sign, RFAs and a bunch of either expensive or overpaid players on the roster including Hank, Staal, Shatty, Smith, Bellesky. Add good contracts like Zib, etc and there isn't oodles of room.

As for cap space, most here would pass on Zadina if it meant taking on Bobby Ryans contract with retention at 5.6 mil. Then we are going to spend that money on Kovy instead? I'd rather have Zadina and Ryan at 5.6.

He is a two-way player, and he's old in a vacuum. Back injuries and all, he's actually had fewer, less taxing miles put on his frame by playing in the KHL instead of the NHL the last seven years.

Now, as to your proposal, I agree -- I would also rather eat Ryan at 5.6 if it means Zadina. But assuming that's not on the table, or plausible, I have little to no issue with signing him to a two-year deal to bring along the rebuild. He's actually a fantastic player to have in that role IMO. His injection into the Devils lineup when they got him dramatically improved their fortunes.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Age is age. I'll give a little bit of credit to the fact that he's been in the KHL, but not that much. Do some of your skills erode a little bit when you've played against a steady diet of lesser competition for over five years? I wouldn't pay him more than about $4.5 per for two years.

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    How much we would pay Kovalchuk over 2 years seems fairly irrelevant. We have plenty of cap space and noone to use it on right now. Even when considering a possible trade down the road, if he's worth trading for then the little bit extra $$ is a very small hurdle and likely wouldn't impede a deal being made. I'm not even so sure he will come back to the states without some kind of NTC or even a full NMC though. It would stand to reason he wouldn't want to be moving from place to place if coming back to the US, but who knows.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    How much we would pay Kovalchuk over 2 years seems fairly irrelevant. We have plenty of cap space and noone to use it on right now. Even when considering a possible trade down the road, if he's worth trading for then the little bit extra $$ is a very small hurdle and likely wouldn't impede a deal being made. I'm not even so sure he will come back to the states without some kind of NTC or even a full NMC though. It would stand to reason he wouldn't want to be moving from place to place if coming back to the US, but who knows.
    If he comes back with NMC or NTC, he's not coming to the Rangers for two years. That wouldn't make much sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit - in other words, I could see a team contending or close to contending giving him a NTC since Kovy could potentially win a cup. But the more I think about this, I don't understand why he'd want to come here. Isn't he looking for a cup?
    LGR!

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Age is age. I'll give a little bit of credit to the fact that he's been in the KHL, but not that much. Do some of your skills erode a little bit when you've played against a steady diet of lesser competition for over five years? I wouldn't pay him more than about $4.5 per for two years.
    Then you're not getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;929195]If he comes back with NMC or NTC, he's not coming to the Rangers for two years. That wouldn't make much sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit - in other words, I could see a team contending or close to contending giving him a NTC since Kovy could potentially win a cup. But the more I think about this, I don't understand why he'd want to come here. Isn't he looking for a cup?
    He'll get some trade protection. A modified NTC is my guess, to keep him from going to a handful of destinations he would rather not go to.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend

He'll get some trade protection. A modified NTC is my guess, to keep him from going to a handful of destinations he would rather not go to.

I don't think that's really necessary. The deal is short, and only contenders would come calling. Why would he really care where he went for 20 or so games? Or 1 season? It's not like he'll be traded to Edmonton.

I know Winnipeg has no parks, but they are still good...

No? Why not? McDavid.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think that's really necessary. The deal is short, and only contenders would come calling. Why would he really care where he went for 20 or so games? Or 1 season? It's not like he'll be traded to Edmonton.

I know Winnipeg has no parks, but they are still good...
    Maybe it’s important to him. I’m sure he’ll get an 8-Team list, or something similar.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No? Why not? McDavid.

They're not gonna be a playoff team soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Maybe it’s important to him. I’m sure he’ll get an 8-Team list, or something similar.
    So what? He's non essential.

I don't think they will either. What I meant is with McDavid, there's a chance, and they'd probably jump at the opportunity to land someone like Kovalchuk, who they might not otherwise be able to woo.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don't think they will either. What I meant is with McDavid, there's a chance, and they'd probably jump at the opportunity to land someone like Kovalchuk, who they might not otherwise be able to woo.

Maybe Kovy wants to play with McDavid.

He might. What I'm saying is whoever he signs with, especially a team like the Rangers who could very credibly miss the playoffs in both years he's likely to be under contract for, having trade protection is smart. It allows him to help assure he lands with a contender and not a bubble team.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    2 years or less, no harm having ntc. The return is there or it isn’t.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    There's also no point in having the ntc. The value is the trade return. Otherwise completely pointless.

The "losing culture" crap isn't selling me.

The point of the NTC is to assure he lands with a contender, not a pretender, should things not work out with the Rangers. It makes plenty of sense.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The point of the NTC is to assure he lands with a contender, not a pretender, should things not work out with the Rangers. It makes plenty of sense.

But it doesn't.

At the deadline his choices will be:

Rangers giving up and not in the playoffs...therefore selling.

Pretender

Contender

The second 2 are better than the first. So really no point in blocking a trade. So no point in an NTC.

Moderator Junior Division
    But assuming that's not on the table, or plausible, I have little to no issue with signing him to a two-year deal to bring along the rebuild. He's actually a fantastic player to have in that role IMO. His injection into the Devils lineup when they got him dramatically improved their fortunes.

They did worse the year he arrived at the deadline, then WAY worse in 10-11 where they were last in goals scored and finished with 81 points, then went to the Cup final in 11-12, and were bad in 12-13.

The difference was that Parise was out for the season in 10-11 and left before 12-13. Kovy, good as he was in 11-12, wasn't the difference maker for them, it was Parise. Kovy's too talented to call a product of anyone, but he was only ever a ppg player with Parise.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast