Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

I doubt that Ryan Spooner fits into the Blueshirts’ long-term plan. The winger, reasonably productive but a bit too perimeter-oriented for a team that wants to transform into more of a straight-line attack mode, is also arbitration-eligible and a year away from free agency.

To that end, it may be difficult to move Spooner, who went 4-12-16 in 20 games after coming to New York as part of the Nash deal, at the draft. The Rangers will have to decide whether to sign the winger for one year — probably for around $3.5 million — so he can be available as a trade-deadline rental or simply allow him to become a free agent by not qualifying him.
    https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-o...rs-would-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I’d do 1 yr $3.5
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    I'd go for the 1 year also and depending on where the Rangers are at the trade deadline you can always move him

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    How dumb is that? Where does he come up with this shit? And his Spooner assessment just hit him today? Thankfully Brooks is not involved in our asset mgmt. Gotta write something I guess.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Ridiculous. I let Names go unqualified before I let this guy go. Good passers are needed in a North South style of play? WTF?

Shit, I definitely think about trading Veseys rights soon because I am seriously thinking they shouldn't qualify him.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Not a fan of either spooner or Namestnikov. Way to passive for the skill they provide

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Ridiculous. I let Names go unqualified before I let this guy go. Good passers are needed in a North South style of play? WTF?

Shit, I definitely think about trading Veseys rights soon because I am seriously thinking they shouldn't qualify him.
    I was just wondering about this. Do clubs ever not qualify an RFA?
    LGR!

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    How dumb is that? Where does he come up with this shit? And his Spooner assessment just hit him today? Thankfully Brooks is not involved in our asset mgmt. Gotta write something I guess.
    Unbelievable, the guy comes here and puts up 16 points in 20 games on a team where half the roster played like they were on 𝙻𝚒𝚏𝚎 support. I get he may be little perimeterish, but he can move the puck with skill and effectiveness...Id give him a looksee contract at least.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    I was just wondering about this. Do clubs ever not qualify an RFA?
    Yes. It almost never happens with quality ones, though. I'm no Namestnikov fan, but not qualifying him, or Vesey, or Spooner, is a non-starter in my court. That's just pissing away an asset. I'd sooner sign any of them to a one-year deal and trade them.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Namestnikov went from playing on the first line of the best team in the league to the 4th line of a team playing out its schedule. He wasn't all that special before playing with superstars last season, and I'm not optimistic about him. Still, he is skilled must get a chance. If he's a total bust, the trade of McDonagh and Miller is going to look catastrophically bad. At my most pessimistic moments, I think of Namestnikov and Spooner as like a long procession of players who came and went in the dark seven non-playoff years.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Namestnikov went from playing on the first line of the best team in the league to the 4th line of a team playing out its schedule. He wasn't all that special before playing with superstars last season, and I'm not optimistic about him. Still, he is skilled must get a chance. If he's a total bust, the trade of McDonagh and Miller is going to look catastrophically bad. At my most pessimistic moments, I think of Namestnikov and Spooner as like a long procession of players who came and went in the dark seven non-playoff years.
    When Toronto trades one of their young top forwards for a top pairing D man this summer, is when I completely lose my shit over the McD trade. I'm already underwhelmed on the return they got. If they could have gotten one of Marner, Nylander or even Kapanan in exchange for McD and Miller,....

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    We have a host of mediocre RFAs can’t keep them all.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

I love how some have already graded the McD/Miller trade disastrous and we haven’t even made either draft selection or seen either prospect yet.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I love how some have already graded the McD/Miller trade disastrous and we haven’t even made either draft selection or seen either prospect yet.
    Yea it's not making much sense to me.

This team has no business selling players and picks for one guy like Nylander (who, btw is almost Nash-like in the playoffs) when we can acquire multiple picks and prospects instead.

No reason why Spooner shouldn't be around next season unless the Rangers get a trade offer they can't refuse for him. Qualify him for one year, and if we're out of the playoffs trade him for the highest bidder. If we end up getting a 2nd rounder+ for Spooner, that will already make the Nash trade a win. A 1st, Lindgren and a year+ of Spooner and whatever he can get back in a trade? Pretty darn good!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR Cafe Joe View Post
    No reason why Spooner shouldn't be around next season unless the Rangers get a trade offer they can't refuse for him. Qualify him for one year, and if we're out of the playoffs trade him for the highest bidder. If we end up getting a 2nd rounder+ for Spooner, that will already make the Nash trade a win. A 1st, Lindgren and a year+ of Spooner and whatever he can get back in a trade? Pretty darn good!
    I fear the contract, honestly. I don’t want to see anything long term, and I want to avoid contracts in the 4-6m range (mediocrity is death - range).
    I wouldn’t mind him back, but I’d much rather use cap space for Kovalchuk or Tavares, if possible.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Mite Division
    The Mac/JT trade can’t be judged on Namestnikov’s performance.
    It’s a good couple of years until we have any idea whether it was great, shit or somewhere in between.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    How does Brooks know the style this team will play when they don't even have a coach yet? I would re-sign Spooner for a year and see what he can do here for a full season. He is a guy that can play either wing or center, so it doesn't hurt keeping a guy that can lay like that around.I liked his play those couple of games here, so Id like to see what he can do here for a full year. If he is a bust, we can cut ties with him at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    The Mac/JT trade can’t be judged on Namestnikov’s performance.
    It’s a good couple of years until we have any idea whether it was great, shit or somewhere in between.
    100% correct. It'll take at least 3 years to see what Hajek and Howden have to offer and at least 5 years until we see what comes of the other 1st round pick.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    How does Brooks know the style this team will play when they don't even have a coach yet?
    Bingo! How does Brooks even know how we are going to play or the players and mix the new coach wants? Or the skills he will emphasize, the variations he deploys or who fits for 2018-19 and/or the longer term?

This is way too premature. We should take a step back and think more logically. Until we hire a coach, the roster construction will be minimal. Mgmt will begin to make some decisions on the RFAs and it could be a while before all the decisions are finalized. If there are RFAs they do not want long term those will be the players mgmt will be looking to trade this off season. Whether mgmt is able to and receive the value they want in return is a whole different discussion.

Also consider that mgmt made the trades that included Spooner and Names, therefore they saw value in those assets and would never consider letting them expire. That has to be one of the most ridiculous things written since this rebuild began.

Back to the OP on Spooner. So anyone paying attention is supposed to believe we acquired Spooner who then put up 16 points in 20 games and mgmt is disappointed? What did Brooks and mgmt expect? He doesn't fit on a coachless team that has many needs because he doesn't play a heavy game? Does Brooks think we didn't scout Spooner who is a known quantity, just entering his prime?

His thesis makes no sense and should be completely dismissed.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast